The LG G5 is easily the most fascinating smartphone of 2016, with an innovative design that sadly lacks the premium polish you might expect.
- Solid performance
- Camera choice
- USB 3.0 connectivity
- Good battery life
- Modular design opens up lots of possibilities
- Doesn’t entirely feel premium
- Removing the battery bay is a chore
- Camera colour calibration can be odd
- Camera delay
- Not all Friends are made equal
The LG G5 offers features you won’t find on any other Android phone, along with a few quirks that need ironing out for what is meant to be a premium device.
Of all the phone manufacturers in the premium space, LG arguably made the biggest changes to its flagship line in 2016. Gone is the rounded back of the LG G4, as is the leather look and feel. Instead, it has opted for a modular approach that sees not only the battery but the entire bottom section of the G5 removable so that add-on "Friends" modules can be utilised. It’s a bold new step for the South Korean phone maker, but is it one that pays off?
- Modular design is unlike anything else on the market.
- Interchangeable parts don't live up to their potential.
- Wide-angle lens opens up new possibilities for landscape photography.
- Switching between lenses comes with a significant delay and introduces odd colour calibration issues.
- Slick and smooth, with comparable performance to Samsung's flagship Galaxy S7.
- Relatively little clutter to bog down the user interface.
- Removable battery is handy for frequent travellers.
- Regular battery life is surprisingly solid, though still firmly in the mid-range of premium handsets.
- An ambitious attempt to revolutionise the smartphone space that doesn't fully succeed.
Pricing and availability
A smartphone unlike any other
Customise your phone on the fly with the modular LG G5.
- The LG G5 is available through online retailers like Catch for around $400 to $500.
LG G5 specs
|Display size (inches)||5.3|
|Display resolution (pixels)||2560 x 1440|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||554|
|Battery size (mAh)||2,800|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||16|
|Rear camera (1) aperture||f/1.8|
|Rear camera (2) resolution||8|
|Rear camera (2) aperture||f/2.4|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||8|
|Front camera (1) aperture||f/2.0|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||Category 3|
Compare SIM-only plans for the LG G5
Latest LG phone news