LG and Sony headline Netflix’s list of recommended TVs for 2018
If you want the best big-screen Netflix experience that money can buy, these are the TVs to look out for.
These days, it's harder to find a non-Smart TV than it is to find one packing a full range of fancy apps for watching movies and listening to music from all your favourite streaming services. Not all Smart TVs are created equal, however, and even the sets that deliver similar picture quality can differ dramatically in the actual performance department. Slow boot times, sluggish apps and poor response times aren't uncommon, and it can be tough to know which TVs suffer from such limitations before you throw down your hard-earned cash.
To simplify the process of buying a quality Smart TV, Netflix has today released its list of recommended Smart TVs for 2018. These TVs have undergone strict testing by Netflix to ensure that they are suitable for binge-watchers of all stripes and that they meet at least five of the following seven criteria:
- Boots up instantly and can load Netflix and other Internet TV apps within a few seconds
- Launches the Netflix app quickly regardless of whether it's done right after turning on or after using other apps
- Includes a remote with a dedicated Netflix button that both powers on the TV and launches Netflix
- Comes with the latest version of the Netflix app
- Provides easy access to the Netflix app from the TV menu
- Boots to the same app or menu it was on when you turned it off
- Supports at least 1080p resolution for Netflix
TVs that meet these minimum requirements receive the "Netflix Recommended TV" label, an easily identifiable logo that saves you the hassle of performing your own testing and research.
Netflix plans on updating its list of recommended TVs throughout the year, but as of now, LG and Sony are the sole brands to receive the commendation. For LG, it's the 4K UHD TVs with webOS 4.0 that are at the top of Netflix's list. For Sony, the W800F and WF800 Android TVs are the ones that Netflix recommends.
Netflix-recommended LG Smart TVs
Buy the LG UK6500 75-inch UHD TV
The Good Guys
Buy the LG SK8000 55-inch UHD TV
The Good Guys
For more information on the criteria that Netflix is judging on and a full list of the recommended TVs, head on over to Netflix's Recommended TV page.
- Only Murders in the Building season 2: Preview, schedule and stream options in Australia
- Seen the new Elvis movie and loving it? Here’s where to stream more about The King
- Where to watch Australian Ninja Warrior online in Australia
- Westworld season 4: Preview, schedule and stream options in Australia
- Top 10 TV shows in Australia this week and where to watch them