We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Incorporating a business in Australia requires quite a few acts of due diligence by company officials. One of them is informing the Australian Tax Office (ATO) about your company for tax purposes. This is done by writing a letter to the commissioner of taxation.
In this guide, we'll explain exactly what that process entails and how to find a free template online.
What is a letter to the commissioner of taxation?
A letter to the commissioner of taxation is a mandatory document that directors must fill out after they incorporate a company. The letter informs the ATO of your company for tax purposes.
Download this letter to the commissioner of taxation template at Lawpath
When should I use a letter to the commissioner of taxation?
The letter must be written and sent to the commissioner immediately after you incorporate a company in Australia. Once you incorporate the company, it becomes a legal entity with certain rights, obligations and tax requirements.
What does the commissioner of taxation letter include and not include?
- An acknowledgment that the letter is being sent to satisfy Section 252 of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1936 (as amended)
- The name and address of the incorporated company
- Director's signature
Does not include:
- Details about the business or the director
How effective is a letter to the commissioner of taxation?
When written properly, the letter to the commissioner of taxation provides the ATO with sufficient information about your newly incorporated company. Remember that this information is used for tax purposes only.
Do I need a lawyer for the letter to the commissioner of taxation?
The letter to the commissioner of taxation is a simple one-page document that doesn't require complex accounting or legal information. As such, you don't need a lawyer to complete it.
Get access to free letter to the commissioner of taxation templates online
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
How do I write a letter to the commissioner of taxation?
The letter must include the following information:
- Addressed to the commissioner for taxation (including the public address)
- Acknowledgment that this letter satisfies Section 252 of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1936 (as amended)
- The name, address phone number of your newly incorporated company
- The name and signature of the public officer (i.e. the company director)
Where to get free legal documents and templates such as letter to the commissioner of taxation
- Lawpath. Lawpath provides a wide range of legal documents and templates for small businesses and entrepreneurs. Samples are free to browse, but you must sign up to access customisation features.
- LawDepot. LawDepot is another website that provides a large selection of legal documents. You can fill them in online and download them straight to your computer.
- Wonder.Legal. Wonder.Legal provides access to over 140 legal document templates, all of which can be purchased for a one-time fee.
More guides on Finder
Share sale agreement templates
Learn about the key points of share sale agreements and find templates you can download and customise to your needs.
Incorporated joint venture agreement templates
Use a customisable template to help ensure your incorporated joint venture agreement is legally sound.
Service delivery agreement templates
How to download and customise a service delivery agreement to quickly protect your business.
How to start a curtains and blinds business
Get all the important details on starting your own curtains and blinds business.
How to start an auto electrical business
What you need to know if you're looking to launch your own auto electrical company.
How to start a signage business
Start your own signage business with this step-by-step guide on how to find a business niche, pick the right business structure and market your products.
Hire agreement template
How to make sure everything's above board if you plan to rent out equipment to your customers.
How to start a not-for-profit organisation in Australia
How to start a not-for-profit organisation that your community can depend on.
Bill of sale (car) templates
Find out how to craft a bill of sale with the help of a customisable template.
How to start a garden edging business
Find out the steps to opening a garden edging business.
Ask an Expert