Leon Cycle AU review
Shop a range of e-bikes, e-bike conversion kits, and parts and accessories online.
Leon Cycle is an online retailer of e-bikes, electric bike conversion kits, and cycling accessories. It also offers a dealer network that provides assembly, tuning and test-ride services.
Keep reading to find out what products Leon Cycle offers, how much shipping costs, and the pros and cons of this retailer.
Who is Leon Cycle?
Established in 2014, Leon Cycle is an electric bicycle retailer based in Hanover, Germany. It sells its range of e-bikes accessories to customers in Australia, New Zealand, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, the USA and the UK.
Leon Cycle's products are designed in Germany and manufactured in western Europe, with the company stocking products from three of its own brands:
- NCM. NCM is Leon Cycle's pedelec e-bike brand, offering bikes with mid-motor and rear-motor designs.
- Das-Kit. This brand provides motor drives for electric bicycles.
- DEHAWK. DEHAWK manufactures e-bike batteries.
You can buy the following products from the company's online store:
- E-mountain bikes. Leon Cycle offers e-MTBs with wheel sizes ranging from 26 to 29 inches.
- E-trekking bikes. The range of e-trekking and city bikes on offer are designed for use in urban environments.
- E-folding bikes. Offering 20-inch wheels, these folding bikes are designed to be portable and easy to transport.
- E-cruising bike. There was only one bike in Leon Cycle's range of e-cruising bikes at the time of writing, with the NCM Miami E-Cruiser designed for casual riding.
- Electric bicycle batteries and chargers. Battery and charger kits are available, as are standalone batteries and chargers.
- Electric bicycle conversion kits. Leon Cycle offers front, fear and mid-mount motor conversion kits.
- Parts and accessories. You can also shop for accessories such as motor parts, bike saddles, pedals, chains and cassettes, handlebars and luggage racks.
How does Leon Cycle work?
Leon Cycle works like any other online shopping retailer. You can browse and purchase products online, and your items can then be shipped around Australia. If you'd prefer to pick your items up in person, you can arrange to collect them from Leon Cycle's Victorian warehouse.
If you buy a bicycle from Leon Cycle, the bike is shipped in a box and you'll need to unpack it and assemble it yourself. Alternatively, you could take it to one of the company's partner dealers or your local bike shop and pay them to build the bike for you.
What features does Leon Cycle offer?
Leon Cycle offers the following features to its customers:
- Free standard shipping. Leon Cycle offers free standard shipping right around Australia on all orders over $50. Delivery to some remote regional areas and islands may incur a fee.
- Click and collect. A click and collect service is also available from the company's Mulgrave, Victoria, warehouse from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
- Multiple payment methods. You can pay for your purchase from Leon Cycle via credit card, bank deposit, PayPal, Afterpay or ZipPay.
- Partner dealers network. Leon Cycle has a network of partner dealers in the ACT, NSW, Victoria, SA, Queensland, WA and Tasmania. These dealers can assist with e-bike assembly, fine tuning your bicycle and offering test rides before you buy.
- Warranty. All bikes from Leon Cycle come with a 2-year warranty on the bike frame and a 12-month warranty on all electronic parts, including the motor, battery, controller and display).
How much do bikes from Leon Cycle cost?
Prices will obviously vary depending on the bicycle you purchase. As a general guide, at the time of writing, Leon Cycle's e-bike prices ranged from $1,399 to $2,199.
In terms of delivery, free Australia-wide shipping is available on orders over $50, but shipping to some remote regional areas and islands may attract a fee. For orders under $50, you can use Leon Cycle's shipping calculator on the product page.
Pros and cons of Leon Cycle
- Wide range of bikes available. Leon Cycle stocks bikes for a wide range of different riders, including mountain biking, city commuting and folding bikes.
- Parts and accessories. From electric bicycle parts to general cycling supplies like pedals, seats and tyres, Leon Cycle stocks a large range of parts and accessories.
- Free shipping. Free Australia-wide shipping is available on orders over $50.
- Customer support. If you have a question or a problem with your order, Leon Cycle offers phone, email, chat bot and social media. An online support centre is also available.
- Electric bikes only. Leon Cycle only stocks e-bikes and e-bike conversion kits, so if you're looking for a traditional bicycle that uses pedal power only, you'll need to look elsewhere.
- Doesn't stock a range of brands. If you're searching for e-bikes from a range of brands, you'll need to search other retailers.
- Assembly required. Putting together a new e-bike may be too complicated for some. There's a 15-minute instructional video on the Leon Cycle website to help simplify the process, but self-assembly may not be suitable for everyone.
- Limited network of partner dealers. If you'd like to test-ride before you buy or get help with assembling your bike, make sure you check whether Leon Cycle has a partner dealer near you.
Is Leon Cycle right for me?
If you're searching for an electric bicycle or e-bike conversion kit, it's worth seeing how Leon Cycle's range of e-bikes stack up against those offered by other retailers. There's a wide range of bikes on offer, with many of them at an entry-level price point.
However, Leon Cycle doesn't offer bicycles from a variety of brands, so it's worth shopping around to compare the features of Leon Cycle bikes with the competition. This will help you find the best value for money and the right bike for your needs.