A not-for-profit organisation, Latrobe Health offer 7 hospital cover options to suit various needs. Find out how which one is best for you.
Latrobe Health are part of a network of Members Own Health Funds designed to provide members with choice and affordability. They have 7 hospital cover options that are tailored to young singles and couples as well as large families.
Top 3 features
- Good for Just Ask!® medical gap cover. This includes additional medical benefits to lower or get rid of out-of-pocket expenses for in-hospital medical charges higher than the Medicare Benefit Schedule Fee.
- Good for top level cover, reduced excess and co-payment options.
- Watch out if you are looking for mid-level cover.
What hospital cover is available?
Latrobe Health have a range of gold hospital policies available as well as 2 basic policy options. With the gold level policies, you can choose different co-payment and excess options for greater affordability.
- Gold Top Hospital: The top-level hospital cover includes all 38 clinical categories required for a gold rating including accommodation cover, theatre fees, surgically implanted prosthetics and more. It also comes with Just Ask!® medical gap cover and no excess or co-payment.
- Gold Family Care Hospital: Covering everything required for a gold rating, this policy includes a $40-70 co-payment per day in hospital and family cover including single dependants until they turn 25 provided they are not students. Like before, it also comes with Just Ask!® medical gap cover and no excess or co-payment.
- Gold Hospital with co-payment: Allowing you to pay less without losing the benefits, this policy comes with co-payment options that include a $40-70 co-payment per day for a maximum of 7 days each admission.
- Gold Hospital reducing excess: Your excess will reduce each year of membership. For each year you have Gold Hospital reducing excess, the amount of the excess reduces and after four consecutive years, you will have no excess to pay.
- Gold Hospital excess options: Each person only pays the excess once in any calendar year, even with another admission. If you are a family, you'll never have to pay more than two excesses per calendar year.
- Healthy Start Basic Hospital: A combined extras and hospital package that provides you with two levels of hospital cover: public and limited private hospital cover. Ideal for singles and couples
- Basic Public Hospital. Provides cover for treatment in a public hospital and limited cover for private hospitals as well as restricted benefits for treatments.
All policies feature added inclusions and restrictions on top of the 38 clinical categories that are worth looking out for:
|Gold Hospital||Healthy Start Basic Hospital||Basic Public Hospital|
|365 days accommodation cover||Restricted||Restricted|
|Private or shared room||Restricted||Restricted|
|Surgically implanted prosthetics||Restricted||Restricted|
|Private midwife at hospital birth|
|TV hire, local phone|
|Accident cover, conditions apply||Restricted|
|Just Ask!® additional medical gap|
Other benefits of Hospital Cover
As well as range of top-level policies to choose from, Latrobe Health's hospital cover has offers the following benefits:
- Top Hospital covers all in-hospital services without an excess or co-payment arrangement.
- They have no exclusions on Medicare recognised treatments in hospital cover.
- Latrobe Health offers members cover that is the same as Top Hospital cover but requires co-payments. Additionally, Coverwise and Loyal Members cover comprises similar cover to Top Hospital but offers different kinds of excess.
How do the costs work?
Latrobe hospital cover works in every Australian public hospital. If you decide to go private, it's important that you make sure it's a participating hospital or you will have to pay for costs incurred.
You won't have any medical gaps so long as your medical practitioners all charge the Medicare Schedule Fee. Medicare pays 75% of the schedule fee; Latrobe pays the rest.
If they charge more than the schedule fee, Just Ask! ® can reduce or even eliminate out-of-pocket expenses and is available with all Gold and Healthy Start Basic Hospital cover policies.
Waiting periods and limitations
For all services – other than treatment as a result of an accident – you must serve a waiting period if you haven't previously held equivalent cover.
A 12-month waiting period applies to:
- Pre-existing conditions (excluding psychiatric, rehabilitation and palliative care),
- Blood glucose monitors, blood pressure monitors, compressor pumps and nebulisers, hearing aids, C-PAP machines, TENS machines and non-surgically implanted prostheses.
- Pregnancy-related conditions.
How to make a claim
Any Latrobe registered hospital you use will send your bill to your health fund. In other cases, if you are not able to get to a Latrobe or Medicare branch, you can send your accounts and claim forms to Reply Paid 41, Morwell VIC 3840 or call Member Service Centre on 1300 362 144.