Kogan Contents Insurance

Cover your most prized possessions with Kogan's contents insurance.

Kogan offers home and contents insurance with a focus on affordability and flexible cover options. You can take out Kogan home insurance alone or you can add contents cover for up to 20% off when buying online. You can also take out contents insurance alone, so if you’re renting, Kogan contents cover might be a cost-effective way to protect your belongings.

finder.com.au does not currently have access to this home insurance brand. You may wish to compare options available on the home insurance homepage.

What does Kogan contents insurance cover?

There are two levels of contents insurance available: Essential and Top. Both can deliver the all-important protection from natural events, while Top can also include a range of additional benefits. In the case of contents insurance only, your insured items are the possessions kept on the premises, including carpets, rugs, curtains and blinds. If your insured property suffers damage caused by an insured event, you can claim the cost of your loss with Kogan contents insurance, up to the total limits of your policy. For valuables like jewellery or items such as trade tools, you may only be covered up to the amounts specified in “additional benefits”, or other applicable limits.

Insured eventWhat’s covered?What’s not covered?
Fire and explosionDamage to your belongings caused by open flames or explosionsDamage caused by heat alone, but not flames. Scorching and burn marks are covered with Top cover
Malicious damage and theftDamage to your belongings or theft of insured itemsTheft or damage caused by people living at the address
Storm, rainwater and floodDamage caused by storms or rainwater, or whenever an area that’s normally dry land is covered by waterGradual water damage, or damage to specific things like outdoor retaining walls or tennis courts
Accidental glass breakageDamage to windows and other fixed glass, shower screens, basins and other permanent glass fixturesChipping or other minor damage. You are only covered if the breakage extends through the entire surface of the glass
LightningDamage to your belongings caused by lightning strikes, such as power surges following lightning strikesLightning damage to items that are not insured under your policy. For example, electrics that are instead covered by contents insurance
Earthquake, tsunami and volcanic eruptionDamage to your belongings resulting from earthquakes, tsunamis or volcanic eruption, including resulting damage such as landslides caused by earthquakesAny actions of the sea other than tsunami, or certain types of damage that occur more than 72 hours after the insured event.
ImpactDamage to your belongings caused by falling trees, cars, space debris or other itemsDamage caused by tree felling on the site or damage to driveways caused by vehicles
Bursting, leaking or overflowing of water or other liquidsLiquid escapes from plumbing, aquariums, refrigerators, gutters and moreThe cost of repairing the item from which the water leaked or damage to retaining walls
Riot, civil commotionDamage caused by any kind of rioting or civil commotion, unless excluded by your policyDamage that occurs more than 72 hours of rioting or civil commotion

What additional cover types are available?

You are also covered for legal liability under Kogan home and contents insurance.

  • With Kogan home insurance, your legal liability cover applies on your property only.
  • With Kogan contents insurance, your legal liability is extended Australia-wide.

This cover type means that Kogan can cover the cost of compensation awarded, reasonable legal expenses or a settlement on your behalf, up to $20 million, if you are found to be liable for another person’s injury or losses through negligence. Note that some conditions apply, and a range of exclusions apply specifically to liability cover. A range of other additional cover types is also included, which can vary depending on whether you choose Essentials or Top cover. In most cases, these are only applicable when Kogan has accepted a claim for an insured event.

Additional coverWhat it doesEssentialsTop
Accidental damage coverInsures your property against unintentional damage
  • No
  • Yes
Removal of debrisCovers the cost of reasonable debris removal and demolition if needed
  • $10,000
  • $15,000
Replacement of locksCovers the cost of replacing locks if the keys to an external lock are stolen. Requires you to hold home insurance as well
  • $500
  • $1,000
Electric motor burnoutCover for the burning out or fusion of the actual wiring of domestic motors
  • $1,000
  • $2,000
Emergency storage of contentsThe reasonable cost of moving and storing your contents while your home is being rebuilt, if uninhabitable
  • Reasonable costs
  • Reasonable costs
Contents temporarily removed from your homeCover for damage resulting from theft, storm, flood, rainwater or impact while insured contents are temporarily removed from your property, such as in a hotel. Can only cover theft if insured contents were stolen from accommodation following forced entry
  • Yes
  • Yes
Contents in transitContents are covered while in transit between a new and old residence, against fire damage or the collision or overturning of the vehicle carrying them
  • No
  • Yes
Contents in an old and new homeWhen moving house, contents are covered in both your old and new homes for a period of 14 days from when you start moving in
  • Your contents sum insured
  • Your contents sum insured
Guest contentsGuest contents can be covered in addition to your own, following a successful claim
  • $500
  • $1,000
Document replacementDocuments such as passports and birth certificates can be covered
  • $500
  • $1,000
You can also claim the following losses after insured events, at the cost of the basic policy excess and subject to applicable terms.
Additional benefits with an excess
Home officeCovers contents kept in a home office that are used for the purposes of earning income or other reward. Items must be owned by you
  • $5,000
  • $10,000
Open air contentsContents left outside, such as barbecues and garden furniture. Does not include cover for trade tools, or certain items like mobile phones, that were left outside
  • $4,000
  • $8,000
Food spoilageCover for food spoilage resulting from unforeseeable failure of the public power supply to your home
  • $500
  • $1,000
Tools of tradeTools of trade used for your current occupation, while they are kept in your home. Does not include home office equipment
  • $1,000
  • $2,000

What optional benefits are there?

These cover types can be added at the cost of additional premiums.

  • Electrical motor burnout: Cover for the burning out or fusion of the actual wiring of domestic motors, of insured contents, up to a limit of $1,000 with Essential cover or $2,000 with Top cover.
  • Portable valuables cover: This can cover eligible valuables such as wheelchairs, clothing or other personal effects anywhere in Australia. You can insure groups of items, such as a set of sporting equipment, or can insure individual items up to a higher limit, such as a precious wedding ring.

What are the limits?

You have an overarching policy limit, which is your total contents sum insured. This is generally the most you will be able to claim per event. In addition to this, sub-limits may apply for specific items or types of items. You cannot claim more than that, except if it's covered elsewhere, such as if you have chosen a higher limit with portable valuables cover.

Cash and cashable documents
  • $250 per event
  • $500 per event
  • $1,000 each
  • $2,000
Portable musical instruments
  • $1,000 each
  • $2,000
Licensed and registered firearms
  • $1,000 per event
  • $2,000 per event

Certain types of items have their own sub-limits.

Valuables Items such as silver and gold items, jewellery and watches
  • $1,000 per item or collection
  • $2,500 per group
  • $1,000 per item or collection
  • $5,000 per group
Collectables Items such as loose carpets, artworks, curios and memorabilia
  • $1,000 per item or collection
  • $2,500 per group
  • $1,000 per item or collection
  • $5,000 per group
Media Items such as DVD or game collections and software.
  • $1,000 per item or collection
  • $2,500 per group
  • $1,000 per item or collection
  • $5,000 per group

What exclusions should I be aware of?

Specific exclusions may apply to individual cover types, while a range of general exclusions applies across your policy. Some of the key general exclusions are:

  • Actions of the sea: You are not covered for any actions of the sea other than tsunamis, including high tides. For example, you might not be covered for flooding if it occurs as a result of a king tide.
  • Bushfire, storm, rainwater or flood within 72 hours of taking out cover: You cannot take out an insurance policy to cover an event that you know is coming within the next 72 hours. This does not apply to renewing policies, or switching cover if you previously had this type of cover.
  • Gradual deterioration: You are not covered for rust, wear and tear, mould, mildew or rising damp.
  • Unoccupied for longer than 90 consecutive days: If your property is unoccupied for longer than 90 consecutive days, it is no longer covered for anything except lightning and earthquake damage.
  • Inherent defects or maintenance failures: You are not covered for inherent defects, such as shoddy construction, or damage resulting from your failure to keep the property in good repair.
  • Any earth movement except as otherwise covered: You are not covered for any earth movements, such as landslides, mudslides, erosion, subsidence or collapse, unless it’s the result of an earthquake, flood or rainwater and occurs within 72 hours of it.
  • Tree roots: You are not covered for any damage or loss resulting from tree roots, including legal liability from a guest tripping over them.
  • Cleaning with heat or chemicals: With the exception of regular household chemicals, you are not covered for any damage caused by cleaning with the application of heat or chemicals.
  • Power surges, mechanical or electrical failure, or data corruption: You are not covered for loss or corruption of electronic data and are not covered for power surges, or mechanical or electrical failure except as otherwise stated (such as with the electric motor burnout optional extra, or power surges caused by lightning strikes).
  • Building work, including extensions and renovations: You are not covered for damage or loss resulting from construction or renovations, such as impacts from construction vehicles. Buildings under construction cannot be insured under this policy either. However, renovations and extensions to existing buildings can be covered as part of this home insurance.
  • Deliberate actions by you or other residents: You are not covered for deliberate damage or theft by other people living at the premises or people on the premises with your permission.

You are generally obligated to make sure you act responsibly and take steps to maintain items and your property in a reasonable state or repair, and prevent loss. If you will be going away, even for less than 90 consecutive days, you are obligated to make sure the home looks lived in, and make arrangements to:

  • Keep the lawns mowed and garden tidy
  • Stop regular mail and newspaper deliveries
  • Arrange for someone to check inside and outside your home at least once a week

How much does Kogan contents insurance cost?

The cost of your policy comes in two parts:

  • The premium: This is the regular, ongoing cost of maintaining your cover.
  • The excess: This is a contribution you may need to make towards certain types of claims before Kogan will cover it.

Your premiums are determined by factors including:

  • The cover you choose
  • The property and site you want to insure
  • The limits and the excess that will apply
  • Your previous insurance and claims history
  • The sum insured of your contents

Your excess may vary depending on the situation and your cover, and will be shown on your policy document. Depending on the type of claim, you might have to pay different excesses, or no excess at all.

How to make a claim

Before making a claim you should:

  • Secure your home and take reasonable steps to prevent further damage
  • Report the incident to police if applicable
  • Call the Kogan claims team on 13 19 48 and report the incident

Do not admit any guilt, liability or fault, except to police, and do not offer to negotiate or settle with any other parties, or consent to any repairs without approval from Kogan, except for the purposes of minimising further damage.

Is Kogan contents insurance right for me?

Everyone’s situation is different, so only you can determine whether Kogan contents insurance is the right choice for you, but you might want to consider a few things in particular.

  • Do you frequently travel? Under this policy, your home is still covered after being unoccupied for up to 90 days. After this, it’s only covered for earthquake and lightning damage. Many other policies will only cover unoccupancy for up to 60 consecutive days, after which cover will run out entirely. Kogan home insurance might be a competitive choice for people who travel for long periods of time. This is balanced by the need to have someone come and check on your home at least once a week. Not all policies have this strict requirement.
  • Are you getting home insurance as well? You can get a considerable policy discount, of up to 20% off premiums, by purchasing Kogan home and contents insurance online together, while some cover types might require you to hold home insurance as well.
  • Are you getting Essential or Top cover? Contents insurance is considerably expanded with Top cover, and those who work from home or keep trade tools at home might find Top cover to be more beneficial.

Andrew Munro

Andrew writes for finder.com, comparing products, writing guides and looking for new ways to help people make smart decisions. He's a fan of insurance, business news and cryptocurrency.

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Privacy & Cookies Policy and Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy.
Ask a question
Go to site