Knife sharpening services
Everything you need to know to get your knife professionally sharpened
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
A knife is a useful tool for many households and professions, and a sharp knife is much safer than a blunt knife. Many knife sharpening experts today make it convenient to sharpen your blades, and offer mail-in or mobile services, saving you the hassle of taking your knife to them. Here's what to consider before choosing a service.
What knife sharpening services are available?
Professional knife sharpening services can fix many different blades including:
- Knives and scissors for households and businesses
- Hunting & fishing blades
- Asian and Japanese-style knives
- Speciality knives and blades
Some knife sharpening services also offer rental services so that you're not without a quality knife during the sharpening process, and some can also repair other faults with your knife including chips.
What is included with a knife sharpening service?
Many knife sharpening providers work just like house cleaning services, meaning that they can come out to your home or place to work at a time that is convenient for you. This is the perfect solution for those who use knives, scissors and other tools as a fundamental part of their job, such as chefs, hairdressers, and pet groomers.
How much does a knife sharpening service cost?
The price of your knife sharpening services will depend on the type and size of blade and the expertise of the professional of your choice. A ballpark estimate of what you can expect to pay for knife sharpening is:
- Small or medium knife (usually under 16 cm): $10-20
- Long knife (16<25 cm): $20-35
Additional charges may apply to reshape the bevel or to repair broken tips.
How do I compare knife sharpening services?
- Competence. It is important to choose a knife sharpening service which is quick and professional and can work with several tools, such as scissors. By doing this, you can make sure that your chosen professionals are fully equipped to cover different needs and situations.
- Practicality. Some of these professionals can come out to your home or place of work to replace your blade.
- Reliability. When your new blade is ready, many of these professionals will ask you to test it while they are still there, to make any required alterations immediately.
Compare knife sharpening services online
How should I prepare for a knife sharpening service?
It is particularly important to know your knife blades. This includes all the essential details, such as the bevel types and the blade angles. By doing this, you will be able to explain to your knife sharpener everything they need to know to restore its shape.
You should always discuss your needs and expectations with your chosen professional. If you use your blade for a particular task (i.e., it's a chef's blade), or if your knife needs a specific treatment, you must always address any issue before handing your blades to have them sharpened.
What to consider when booking a knife sharpening service
Before you hire a handyman to have your knife professionally sharpened, you should take the following aspects into account:
- How to get your knife to the sharpener. Where and how are you going to meet the knife sharpener? Can you ship the knives to their shop?
- Available services. Do all the services provided by the professional meet your needs?
- Waiting time. How long will it take to sharpen your knife? Is there a dedicated high-priority service?
- Sharpening method. Which tool is the handyman going to use to sharpen your knife?
You should be able to ask all these questions to your handyman before booking the knife sharpening service.
Do I need to be at home for a knife sharpening service?
Some knife sharpening services can offer to come out to your home to sharpen your knives. However, if you don't plan to be at home, you can meet the professional at their store.
On the other hand, you may ask to receive a secure knife box directly to your home. This will help you pack your knives into a protective sleeve and ship everything to your knife sharpening professional. Once ready, your improved blades will be delivered to your door.
Pros and cons of using a knife sharpening service
- Decrease the chances of cutting your finger on a knife that slips off of food or other surfaces.
- Durable, professional and long-lasting results.
- Your knives and tools will benefit from a longer lifespan.
- You may need to wait several days before your knife is ready.
- This service may be particularly costly for long or fragile blades.
- Some of these services may not be suitable for specific types of blades.
By choosing the best knife sharpening services, you can benefit from safer blades and an affordable, straightforward, and hassle-free solution.
Frequently asked questions about knife sharpening
What types of knife sharpening is available?
To maintain or improve the sharp edge of your knife blade, you need to use a knife sharpener. Typically, professional sharpeners or handymen use one of the following methods and tools:
- Electric sharpeners. These tools are the quickest, safest and most precise way to sharpen even the dullest blades.
- Handheld sharpeners. These manual tools require knowledge of the blade.
- Sharpening stones. Usually made of novaculite, aluminium oxide, or silicon carbide, there are several stones available, based on the process required to sharpen a specific blade.
Are there any tasks a knife sharpening handyman cannot do?
The following are some of the services which aren't usually included in handymen's available services:
- Electric bread knife blades
- Food processor blades
- DIY or garden tools
- Ceramic or plastic bladed knives
- Nail clippers
If you are not sure about your blades, you should get in touch with a professional and discuss your needs.
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
10% off Apple Airpods Pro, 29% off Sennheiser wireless headphones and 20% off HP Pavilion x360 convertible laptop.
Earnd is a pay on demand service that lets you access a portion of your paycheque before payday without paying any fees or interest.
PayActiv Earned Wage Access
Learn more about how PayActiv's Earned Wage Access service can help you access up to $500 of your paycheque for a $5 fee charged fortnightly (only if you access your wage before payday).
Treadmill removal services
Here’s how you can ensure your treadmill is moved safely and at a convenient time.
Removal truck services
Save time and hassle when you move by booking a professional removal truck service.
Spa removal services
Free yourself from the hassle of disposing of your spa with the help of a professional.
How to start a graphic design business
How to use your design skills as the basis for a profitable enterprise you can run from the comfort of your home.
How to start a wallpaper business
Equip yourself with the right know-how to open your own wallpaper business.
How to start a remote IT business
Here’s how to go about starting a remote IT business to offer installation, servicing and maintenance support to both businesses and households.
How to start a mechanic business
Learn how you can get started on your journey to a profitable career as a mechanic.
Ask an Expert