Cheap flights to Kathmandu for 2020
Find deals, special fares and offers to Kathmandu and surrounds.
Nepal is a travel destination on the rise. Active holidaymakers go there to discover its range of outdoor activities in The Himalayas while spiritual travellers go to soak up the Buddhist sites and Tibetan culture.
Kathmandu is the country’s capital, just 20 minutes’ drive from Nepal’s only international airport. It’s surrounded by jungle and mountains, enticing visitors looking for trekking and adventure. Within the city you’ll find everything from guesthouses to 5-star hotels, and a wander through the backstreets will show you Kathmandu’s rich cultural heritage.
What you can expect to pay for cheap flights to Kathmandu
Here's what's considered to be a good deal compared to the average cost of a flight from Australia to Kathmandu.
Flights to Kathmandu from Sydney
Flights to Kathmandu from Melbourne
Flights to Kathmandu from Brisbane
Flights to Kathmandu from Perth
Kathmandu flight times
- From Sydney: Approximately 19 hrs 30 mins + with one stopover, landing at Tribhuvan International Airport
- From Melbourne: Approximately 16 hrs 15 mins + with one stopover, landing at Tribhuvan International Airport
- From Brisbane: Approximately 18 hrs 35 mins + with two stopovers, landing at Tribhuvan International Airport
- From Perth: Approximately 12 hrs 10 mins + with one stopover, landing at Tribhuvan International Airport
Airlines that fly to Kathmandu
- China Southern
- Malaysia Airlines
- Malindo Air
- Thai Airways
Kathmandu insider flight tips
- The best cheap flights to Kathmandu from Sydney can usually be found with China Southern. They generally have the most attractive flight times and range of one-stop flights via Guangzhou, with stopovers varying from quick to lengthy. China Eastern fares are sometimes cheaper but can involve two or three layovers.
- Kathmandu’s Tribhuvan International Airport is on the small side, with separate domestic and international terminals. Luggage collection is said to be notably busy with bags taking a while to come out – so allow time for this or travel only with hand luggage if you can.
- Australian citizens require a Tourist Visa to enter Nepal. This can only be obtained on arrival at the airport and there may be a waiting time, so you should be prepared for this and avoid engaging with people offering to help in exchange for a fee.
To save even more money, you can also take a local bus if you know the area you need to get to. The bus station is located on the main road outside the airport, past the roundabout.
There is no shortage of taxis once you get to Kathmandu but they are unmetered. As with all areas of Southeast Asia, make sure your exact destination is clear and agree on the price before getting in.
Ask an Expert