June long weekend travel deals 2020
Where you can go, what's open in your state and how to save money on your three-day long weekend break.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
For most of Australia, the Queen's Birthday falls on Monday 8 June 2020. It's a celebration of the monarch but it's also a public holiday which can only mean one thing: a long weekend.
Any other year we would have been able to spread our wings and travel across the nation, but this year travel is a little more limited. Before you pack up and go, check out how far you can legally travel and what's open for you in your state.
Is June long weekend travel allowed during the coronavirus pandemic?
It depends on where you live – each state and territory has set guidelines for whether you can travel and how far. Here's the official breakdown for 6-8 June:
- NSW: All interstate travel is permitted, including overnight stays. Travel into the ACT is also permitted.
- ACT: All interstate travel is permitted, including overnight stays. Travel into NSW is also permitted.
- Victoria: All regional travel to holiday homes, private residences and tourist accommodation with no communal facilities is permitted.
- South Australia: All regional travel in the state is permitted.
- Tasmania: Travel restrictions won't lift until 15 June. This is when overnight accommodation restrictions will be lifted. You may still be able to do a day trip over the long weekend within your local area. A full list is here.
- Northern Territory: All interstate travel is permitted, including overnight stays. Biosecurity zones, such as Uluru and Kakadu, are remaining closed until 18 June.
- Western Australia: While WA celebrates the Queen's Birthday in September, it does have a public holiday on 1 June, AKA Western Australia Day. On this day, you may travel regionally, except to biosecurity zones within the Kimberly, Pilbara and Ngaanyatjarraku and remote Aboriginal communities.
- Queensland: Celebrates the Queen's Birthday on 5 October.
June long weekend travel deals
What's open over the June long weekend?
As most states and territories are now allowing some level of travel, restaurants, beaches and national parks have been given the green light to reopen – with restrictions.
Of those that have chosen to reopen, strict limitations on the number of patrons at one time are imposed. The specifics of this vary by location. For example, in NSW only a maximum of 10 people may dine in at one time while in the ACT the maximum permitted is 20.
Across most of Australia, crowded non-essential venues such as theme parks, casinos, concert venues and sporting arenas are still closed.
Before you head off, check that the activities you're interested in will be open over the long weekend.
Are hotels open over the June long weekend?
If your state has allowed regional and overnight travel then hotels are accepting bookings for recreational travellers.
More guides on finder
The Click Frenzy™ Julove 2020 travel deals to snap up
Score up to 40% off hotel stays, 30% off flights, 25% off holiday parks, 20% off attraction passes and so much more in the 2020 Julove sale.
Best places to visit in the Northern Territory in 2020
Unique cultural experiences and picturesque natural wonders await in these six destinations. Plus, our top picks on the territory's best camp sites.
Western Australia travel restrictions: Where you can go in October 2020
What you need to know before you travel in WA, including which attractions and national parks are open, where you can stay and the available modes of transport.
Queensland travel restrictions | What’s open in October 2020?
Here’s everything you need to know about travelling in Australia’s sunshine state in October 2020.
Canberra and the ACT travel restrictions: What to do in October 2020
Your complete guide to what you can and can’t do in the ACT this spring.
Northern Territory travel restrictions | Where you can go in October 2020
Everything you need to know about accommodation, attractions, national parks and transport to safely travel around the NT.
Where can I travel in Australia as restrictions ease?
From accommodation and restaurants to tourist attractions and transport, we break down what is and isn't open in each state for when you travel next.
South Australia travel restrictions: What can I do in October 2020?
Here's everything you need to know on the current South Australia travel restrictions.
Tasmania travel restrictions | Where you can go in October 2020
Read our up-to-date guide on the accommodation, tourist attractions and travel services open in Tasmania as well as any rules and restrictions you should know about.
Victoria travel restrictions | Where you can go in October 2020
Regional Victorians are free to travel within the state – but what's open and what's not? Here's what you need to know.
Ask an Expert