Where to go for a right royal three-day weekender over the Queen’s birthday long weekend.
The June long weekend a.k.a. The Queen’s birthday long weekend is on 9-11 June 2018 and it is the time to cash in on a trip away while the weather's still nice.
Yes folks, winter is coming.
With three days at your disposal and travel deals popping up all over the place, the only question is: “which trip should I choose?”
Here are a few three-day itineraries to get your imagination going:
Top June long-weekend getaway ideas
1. Gold Coast
Boasting an average of 245 days of sunshine, if the weather is looking bleak where you are, the Gold Coast is a choice location to brighten your long weekend.
We call this destination Australia’s playground because it has fun for everyone, from coastal relaxation and watersports to thrilling amusement park rides and market shopping.
- Day one: Relax on Gold Coast Beach
- Day two: Have some fun at an amusement park (or two!)
- Day three: Explore the Gold Coast Hinterland region
June long weekend accommodation specials in Gold Coast
Broadbeach Holiday Apartments
Jupiters Hotel & Casino Gold Coast
Oaks Calypso Plaza Resort
2. Sunshine Coast
Whether you’re flying direct from Sydney or Melbourne or driving up from Brisbane, there’s endless adventure waiting for you on the Sunshine Coast.
Choose to dive into the sea for a underwater adventure, stretch yourself across a beach and nab that last-minute summer tan or take in some of Australia’s most iconic structures – like the Big Pineapple.
- Day one: Drive up to Noosa heads to swim, surf and/or paddle board
- Day two: WalkCaloundra Coastal pathway
- Day three: Have a close encounter at Australia Zoo
June long-weekend accommodation specials in Sunshine Coast
Noosa Blue Resort
Mantra French Quarter Noosa
3. Coffs Coast
Approximately halfway between Brisbane and Sydney, Coffs Harbour is one of those coastal locations worthy of a road trip.
Once in town, the beauty of Australia’s flora and fauna opens up to you, with the Solitary Islands, Forest Sky Pier, Coffs Harbour Butterfly House and the North Coast Regional Botanic Garden being just a few of the highlights that should not be missed.
- Day one: Day trip up to the Solitary Islands
- Day two: Bushwalk through a National Park (e.g. Dorrigo, Cascade, Bongil Bongil)
- Day three: Soak up some rays on Coffs Harbour beach before heading home
June long-weekend accommodation specials in Coffs Harbour
Novotel Coffs Harbour Pacific Bay Resort
Opal Cove Resort
Comfort Inn Big Windmill
Melbourne is one of those cities you can return to time and time again, so it’s great for a long-weekend away. In town you can bar hop, alternative shop or city walk the day away. If you want to take things beyond the city centre, why not use this as an excuse to tick the Great Ocean Road drive off your bucket list?
You know you want to.
- Day one: Drive to Cape Otway and Twelve Apostles
- Day two: Drive to Bay of Islands and return back to Melbourne
- Day three: Spend a day in the city
June long weekend accommodation specials in Melbourne
Clarion Suites Gateway
Adina Apartment Hotel South Yarra
Phoenix Apartments Lorne
5. Airlie Beach
With the day off work and the kids (if you have any) off school, all the stars have aligned to take that great Australian pilgrimage to see one of our country’s top natural wonders: The Great Barrier Reef.
Airlie Beach is your ideal base point as it’s the largest town on the Whitsunday Coast and offers tours, watersport activities and two white, sandy beaches.
- Day one: Hire a sailboat (or go “bareboating”) along the coast
- Day two: Book a cruise or sailing day tour
- Day three: Explore the tropical rainforest by embarking on the Conway Circuit walking track
June long weekend accommodation specials in Airlie Beach
Toscana Village Resort
Club Crocodile Airlie Beach
Tired of going up and down the east coast of Australia in search of sun, sand and sea? Opt for an alternative route this long-weekend and head west for your getaway. Set amongst the backdrop of the Kimberley Region, Broome might just be the beach town resort you’ve been looking for. It’s beautiful beachfront is speckled with dazzling red rock that you can tour by camel.
Can’t say that about the Whitsundays now, can you?
- Day one: Take time to explore the beach
- Day two: Tour the Pinnacles and the Kimberley Region
- Day three: Tour pearl farms and take a beach camel tour
June long weekend accommodation specials in Broome
Ramada Eco Beach Resort
Habitat Resort Broome
If you’re more inclined toward big cities than big beaches, a trip to Sydney is a must. On top of its tourist hotspots like the Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge, a number of festivals generally coincide with the Queen’s long weekend, including Vivid and Sydney Film Festival, which make for both a fun and full itinerary.
- Day one: City highlights by day, Vivid by night
- Day two: Day trip out to the Blue Mountains
- Day three: Taronga Zoo (including its Vivid highlights)
June long weekend accommodation specials in Sydney
Rendezvous Hotel Sydney Central
Top Queen’s Birthday accommodation deals
Popular Hotels coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|18 Mar 2019||Up to 25% off global hotels + extra 10% off with code||GLO****|
|5 Feb 2019||Extra 5% off hotels worldwide||FIN****|
|22 Jan 2019||Extra 8% off hotel bookings||OTE****|
|15 Feb 2019||Extra 15% off first Groupon purchase||BRA****|
|22 Mar 2019||Extra 8% off Iceland hotels||REY****|
|22 Mar 2019||Easter sale: Up to 35% off Australasia and Japan hotels||********|