June long weekend getaway ideas in Australia
Here's where to go for a right royal three-day weekender over the Queen’s birthday long weekend.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The June long weekend, AKA the Queen's birthday long weekend, is on 12-14 June 2021. For Aussies who are celebrating (that's everyone except Queensland and WA), it's the time to cash in on a trip while the weather's still nice.
Yes folks, winter is coming.
Top June long weekend getaway ideas
1. NSW: Coffs Coast
- Where is it? 5.5 hours' drive from Sydney.
- Why should you go? Once in the area, the beauty of Australia's flora and fauna is transcended at almost every turn.
- What to do? Solitary Islands, Forest Sky Pier, Coffs Harbour Butterfly House and the North Coast Regional Botanic Garden are just a few of the highlights that should not be missed.
Our top picks for long weekend hotels in Coffs Harbour
Absolute Beachfront Opal Cove Resort
Breakfree Aanuka Beach Resort
Aqualuna Beach Resort
2. South Australia: The Fleurieu Peninsula
- Where is it? Less than 1 hour's drive from Adelaide.
- Why should you go? This stunning piece of South Australia has something for everybody – and it's only a 40-minute drive from Adelaide. Which means you can get to your holiday that much faster.
- What to do: The region literally offers something for everybody. For laidback coastal vibes head for Port Willunga, for wine and food eat your way around McLaren Vale and for adventure in spades stick around Victor Harbor, home to horse-drawn trams and a penguin colony.
Our top picks for long weekend hotels in the Fleurieu Peninsula
Mccracken Country Club
New Terry Hotel & Golf Resort
The Bluff Resort Apartments
3. Northern Territory: Litchfield National Park
- Where is it? 1-hour drive from Darwin.
- Why should you go? It's one of the Top End's most arresting natural wonders and a top spot for tourists. But that doesn't mean locals can't spend a day (or three) basking in its beauty.
- What to do: The national park calls to adventure seekers with its bushwalks, waterfalls and rockholes where you can take a dip. Camping is a must-do when heading here. Scout out spots in Florence, Wangi and Walker Creek as recommended places where you can wake up to the call of native wildlife.
Our top picks for long weekend hotels in Litchfield National Park
Batchelor Holiday Park
Litchfield Tourist Park - Campground
4. Western Australia: Broome
- Where is it? 23 hours' drive from Perth.
- Why should you go? True, Western Australia isn't celebrating the Queen's Birthday in June. However, it does still have a June long weekend over Western Australia Day on Monday 7 June 2021 and we'll take any excuse we can get for a three-day holiday.
- What to do? Set amongst the backdrop of the Kimberley Region, Broome might just be the beach town resort you've been looking for. Its beautiful beachfront is speckled with dazzling red rock that you can tour by camel.
Our top picks for long weekend hotels in Broome
The Pearle Of Cable Beach
Eco Beach Resort
Broome Vacation Village
- Where is it? Eastern coast of New South Wales.
- Why should you go? If you're more inclined toward big cities than big beaches, a trip to Sydney is a must. Even if you're a local a staycation here is a pretty incredible one.
- What to do: On top of its tourist hotspots like the Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge, there are plenty of restaurant precincts such as The Rocks, Darling Square, Surry Hills and Potts Point where you can dine the days away.
Our top picks for long weekend hotels in Sydney
Hyatt Regency Sydney
6. ACT: Canberra wine region
- Where is it? 3 hours' drive from Sydney.
- Why should you go? The Australian capital is surrounded by producers of delicious delights – including truffle farms and wineries bearing the region's finest shiraz and riesling.
- What to do? The drive from Canberra won't take you more than half an hour to get out to the closest of them in Mount Majura. If you're headed that way, we suggest you take the Federal Highway for a scenic day out. Pop by Lake George and witness the "disappearing lake" as the water rises and falls like magic.
Our top picks for long weekend hotels in Canberra's wine region
Historic Merryville Homestead
Murrumbateman Country Inn
7. Tasmania: Great Eastern Drive
- Where is it? Less than 1 hour's drive from Hobart.
- Why should you go? Isn't it time you followed the coast to take in some of the most arresting scenery the state has to offer? The answer is always yes and while driving up in June is a bit of a chilly one, there are plenty of activities that don't involve lazing on the beach to fill up your schedule.
- What to do: Stops along the way include Kate's Berry Farm for some freshly picked berries and Milton Vineyard near Great Oyster Bay for a drop of its signature pinot noir. Or riesling, for those who prefer white.
Our top picks for long weekend hotels along the Great Eastern Drive
Big4 Iluka On Freycinet
Edge of The Bay Resort
Top Queen’s birthday accommodation deals
More guides on Finder
Amazon Prime Day’s best deals on big-ticket items: Up to 46% off
From segways to stand up paddle boards, these are the best Prime Day savings on the most expensive items.
Nacon RIG 500 Pro HC Gen 2 review: Super comfortable gaming headphones
The Nacon Rig 500 Pro HC headphones have wide console and PC compatibility, Dolby Atmos licensing and a genuinely comfortable design, even for longer gaming sessions.
Oppo Find X3 Neo 5G review: Oppo’s better flagship phone
The Oppo Find X3 Neo lacks the utter flagship features of the Find X3 Pro, but you won't miss them, while you will enjoy its lower price point.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Milton Corporation (MLT ↑16.0%), Oneview Healthcare (ONE ↑12.8%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Tuesday 22 June 2021.
Mobile plans are now more expensive, but here’s a hack to save $200 a year
Telstra, Optus, and Vodafone keep raising their prices even as the rest of the market is more affordable than ever.
Prime Day VR gaming deal: $60 off the Oculus Quest 2
Amazon is selling the standalone Oculus Quest 2 virtual-reality headset for $432.12. You can also score $77 off the 256GB version.
Barefoot Investor: How to watch Scott Pape’s Money Movement docu-series online
This fresh docu-series features the one and only Barefoot Investor.
Prime Day’s best health and fitness deals: Garmin, FitBit, PranaOn
Stocking up on your favourite supplements or adding to your home gym, Amazon has got you covered with these red-hot offers.
Ask an Expert