Johnny Depp is producing a TV series based on The Secret World MMO
Cthulhu and conspiracy theories are coming to the small screen.
The Secret World stands as one of the most distinct MMOs the genre has ever seen. Combining Illuminati conspiracy theories, urban legends and real-life cyber-sleuthing, the dark and disturbing RPG has maintained its popularity for over half a decade, even in the face of big names like Final Fantasy XIV and World of Warcraft.
That success apparently caught the attention of Johnny Depp and his production company Infinitum Nihil. They are teaming up with The Secret World developer Funcom to create a TV series based on the deep lore of the game's universe. The show will follow a group of undercover agents as they dive into the globe-spanning war between secret societies like the Illuminati, the Dragon and the Templar. There'll be plenty of supernatural spooks, too, with mythological creatures and multiple dimensions getting in the way of the agents' investigation.
Simply titled The Secret World, the show is being written by James V. Hart (Hook, Epic) and Jake Hart. Johnny Depp is producer along with Sam Sarkar, Gudrun Giddings and Christi Dembrowski.
No word on when the show will release, but we'll definitely be keeping a close eye on this intriguing project.
- Razer Blade 15 and Core X revealed: Everything you need to know
- Perth will be the first to turn when the zombie apocalypse hits
- Where to find the best price on State of Decay 2 in Australia
- Battle Royale: Treyarch says it will “do it best and better than” Fortnite, PUBG
- Rick and Morty Virtual Rick-ality Review: Show Me What You Got (in VR)