Cheap flights to Johannesburg for 2020
Discover special fares and flight deals to Johannesburg from Australia.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
Many travellers, enchanted by South Africa's natural beauty, say it's one of those places they'd happily return to again and again. The main reasons are for its landscape, nature and wildlife. Johannesburg is the main getaway to Kruger National Park and there are several more parks within reach. A visit to South Africa's largest city and financial hub is as exciting for the vibrancy and shopping as it is humbling for learning about South Africa's past.
Though South Africa may not be as popular of a travel destination as Eur ope and the United States, the flight time to South Africa is more reasonable, especially with direct flights from Sydney and Perth.
How much are flights to Johannesburg?
O.R. Tambo International Airport is the closest airport to Johannesburg and can be reached in less than 15 hours from Australia. Here's what's considered to be a good deal compared to the average cost of a flight from Australia to Johannesburg,
Johannesburg flight times
- From Sydney: Approximately 14 hrs 10 mins + when flying direct to Johannesburg Oliver Tambo International Airport
- From Perth: Approximately 10 hrs 10 mins + when flying direct to Johannesburg Oliver Tambo International Airport
- From Melbourne: Approximately 15 hrs + when flying direct to Johannesburg Oliver Tambo International Airport
- From Brisbane: Approximately 14 hrs 50 mins + with one stopover, landing at Johannesburg Oliver Tambo International Airport
Airlines that fly to Johannesburg
- South African Airways
- Virgin Australia
Johannesburg insider flight tips
- Virgin Australia and South African Airways offer daily direct flights to Johannesburg from Australia flying out of Perth. Qantas also offers daily flights, except for Monday and Wednesday, flying out of Sydney. When flying or connecting through Perth, the flight to Johannesburg is just over 11 hours. Other major airlines fly via Asia and the Middle East if you prefer a journey with two even legs.
- If you’ve found flights with a codeshare arrangement, such as South African Airways operated by Qantas, check both the Qantas website and the South African Airways website as one could have a cheaper fare.
- Low-cost national carriers Mango, kulula and Safair run domestic flights in South Africa. It can be cheaper to book outbound and return legs separately, with Saturday afternoon travel tending to be the cheapest. Make sure you know which airport you are landing in since Johannesburg also has a second airport, Lanseria (HLA).
- If flying with a child who is under 18, new regulations mean that you must carry their passport and a full (unabridged) birth certificate, or a copy certified in the last three months, in order to board the plane. If you are travelling as a single parent or guardian, you will need additional documents. The Australian government website Smartraveller has further advice.
How to get from the airport
O.R Tambo International Airport (JNB) is Africa's busiest airport, located around 22 kilometres from Johannesburg. When you arrive, there is likely to be a lot of people offering taxi and transfer services, The Australian government advises against accepting unsolicited assistance with transport when arriving at JNB. Minibus taxis and public transport are not recommended due security concerns. Book your airport transport through your tour operator or hotel to be on the safe side.
There is a reliable Rea Vaya rapid transit bus to the centre of Johannesburg with stops along the way. It uses dedicated bus lanes and is safe and affordable. You can also arrange transport with various private shuttle companies in advance online or direct in the baggage claim area. There is also the option to rake a metered taxi, which will take up to 45 minutes to the city centre. There’s a taxi desk inside each Arrivals terminal, or you can find them outside with yellow taxi lights on the roof. Driving is an easy way to get around Johannesburg and surrounds, and major car rental companies have desks at the airport.
More guides on Finder
June long weekend travel deals 2020
What you need to know before taking a break over the June long weekend, from how far you can travel to the best deals on flights, accommodation and car hire.
Cheap flights to Christchurch you can book in 2020
From deals to travel times to airlines, we’ve got the information you need to book your flight to Christchurch.
Cheap flights to Queensland you can book in 2020
Secure flights to Brisbane, Cairns, Gold Coast, Townsville and more with this guide to finding cheap flights to Queensland.
Cheap Lord Howe Island (LDH) flights for 2020
Find all of the flight and transportation information you need for your upcoming trip to Lord Howe Island.
Cheap flights to Newcastle (NTL) for 2020
Plan your trip to Newcastle with this guide that includes everything you need to know about booking flights and transport.
Flights to Coffs Habour (CFS) and deals for 2020
Find out how much you should be paying for flights, the best time to book and transport options with our guide for booking flights to Coffs Harbour.
Cheap flights to Tasmania for 2020
From the best prices to where the airport is, here is everything you need to know about flying to Tasmania.
Cheap Norfolk Island flights to book in 2020
Compare airfares, learn when to book your flights for the best price and get the latest deals on flights to Norfolk Island.
Cheap Alice Springs flights to book in 2020
ompare airfares, learn when to book your flights for the best price and get the latest deals on flights to Alice Springs Airport (ASP).
Cheap Vanuatu flights to book in 2020
Compare airfares, learn when to book your flights for the best price and get the latest deals on flights to Vanuatu.
Ask an Expert