Flights from Sydney starts at $115
Being driven by price rather than loyalty, I split my trip to Adelaide between Virgin Australia and Jetstar.
On a Sunday evening, the low-cost carrier offered the cheapest price on a late-night flight that meant I could make the most of my day in Adelaide without overpaying to get home and back to work by Monday.
Duration: 1 hour, 55 minutes
Flight number: JQ769
Aircraft type: A320
Dates travelled: 3 March 2019
Frequent flyer program: None
Points earned: None
Stephanie Yip's Jetstar review ★★★★★
- Legroom: I felt quite comfortable with the legroom available.
- Timeliness: My flight left and arrived on time.
- No carry-on baggage check. I thought Jetstar would be strict with this, but they scanned the flight through without weighing anyone's carry-on luggage.
- Cost: For a Sunday night flight during the Clipsal 500 Adelaide, Jetstar offered the best price at a time that was convenient for me. I paid $199 for the 7:45pm peak flight.
What did I like?
- Legroom: For someone of my height (156cm) the A320 provides more than enough legroom to stretch out in. The story might be different for someone a foot taller though.
- Timeliness: No dramas here. The gates opened on time, the plane left on time and we touched down a few minutes early.
- Online check-in. Jetstar has an online check-in service that sends you your boarding pass via email or SMS for free. As I had no check-in luggage, this meant I could go straight to the security screening and was at my boarding gate within minutes of arriving at the airport.
- No carry-on baggage check. I'll admit, my bags were a little overweight (~700g over the 7kg limit), but luckily, Jetstar wasn't checking any bags, despite it being a full flight.
What didn't I like?
- Cost: This isn't a major dislike, but the cost wasn't too much cheaper than a full-service airline. If the flight time hadn't been preferable, I would have been happy to pay a touch more to get on a Virgin or Qantas flight. At $199 one way, it's quite a steep price compared to Jetstar sale fares, which can start from $66 each way. I did, however, book the flight a week prior, which no doubt brought the fare up even further.
Would I use Jetstar again?
Everything about my Jetstar flight ran smoothly, from check-in (which I did online via the app) to boarding and landing. So yes, I would fly with Jetstar again. Hopefully next time I'll be able to book a little earlier to nab a better deal though.
Jetstar flight deals and sales:
More guides on Finder
Virgin Australia review: Sydney-Adelaide
A smooth flight from start to finish with ample leg room and on-time flights. It was a shame about the breakfast, though.
Virgin Australia review: Sydney to Sunshine Coast (Maroochydore)
It seems that “happy holidays” is more than just something to say at Christmas, with cheery staff and a quiet flight.
Tigerair review: Melbourne to Sydney
Although I’m a regular flyer on budget airlines, this time I got what I paid for. This Tigerair experience was full of delays and chaos, and was an overall unpleasant experience.
Tigerair review: Sydney to Melbourne
It was all smooth sailing to Melbourne for New Year’s with Tigerair (though the same couldn't be said about the Sydney public transport system).
Etihad Airways review: Sydney to Manchester (via Abu Dhabi)
We took Etihad Airways for a spin from Sydney to Manchester via Abu Dhabi to see how the 5-star carrier stood up. Here’s how we found the check-in process, entertainment, food and more.
Virgin Australia Review: Sydney to Coffs Harbour
With limited flight options from Sydney to Coffs Harbour, it pays to know what you can expect when you choose Virgin Australia.
Virgin Australia review: Melbourne to Sydney
It’s been named the second-busiest flight route in the world in 2018, so what’s it like travelling from Melbourne to Sydney with Virgin Australia?
Qantas review: London to Perth (non-stop)
The ins and outs of what it's like flying non-stop between London and Perth for just under 17 hours.
Jetstar review: Sydney to Adelaide
Looking for the best-timed flights for a weekend getaway landed me on a Jetstar flight, but how was it?
Ask an Expert