Jetstar reveals its cheapest and most popular flights
A million dollar view for $29 each way.
Jetstar sat down to take a look at the last 12 months of cheap flights taken on its airline, and picked out the most popular legs around the Australia.
- What cheap means: In this case it's flights purchased for under $100. On Jetstar that's not too hard to find, and in the year being looked at sub-$100 fares accounted for two thirds of all Jetstar tickets sold.
- What popular means: The specific suburbs whose residents purchased the most cheap flights.
- What this all means: People living in the locations mentioned here are buying a lot of cheap flights, and any place mentioned here is a pretty fantastic spot to visit whenever there's a Jetstar sale on. Also, it's really easy to get cheap flights to and from Tasmania with Jetstar.
Who's booking the cheapest flights?
1. Launceston - 56,000 cheap flights. Residents of Launceston (pictured) in Tasmania were Australia's most prolific bargain flyers, picking up 56,000 flights under $100 out of Tasmania in the last 12 months. It's a surprise, until you know that Launceston/Hobart-Melbourne is one of the cheapest routes in Jetstar's portfolio with fairly frequent sales dropping prices as low as $29. Launceston-Sydney isn't much more expensive either, and can often be found under $50.
2. Gold Coast - 51,000 cheap flights. A super popular spot to visit, residents picked up over 50k in cheap flights, bound predominately for Sydney. This is no doubt due to it being the cheapest leg on Jetstar sale flights, coming up under $50 each way during sale periods.
3. Cairns - 32,000 cheap flights. It's sharp drop to still-popular Cairns in third place. It's little surprise that the most popular route, Cairns-Brisbane, is also the cheapest for Jetstar passengers, coming up around $69 each way when on sale. It's possible to find other legs to and from Cairns under $100, but you can't count on it all the time and often need to take advantage of sales. On the upside, Jetstar has a wide network of flights that take off from Cairns, headed to cities like Sydney, Melbourne, Darwin, Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide.
Melbourne and Sydney came up 4th and 6th place, respectively and that's probably due to high demand pulling up higher flight prices. They're mainly flying between each other and often come up with $49 one-way flights when at their best.
They join Werribee, Macaky, Geelong, Ballina and Carrara in the top 10 list of residents snapping up fares under $100.
Where everyone's flying
So where were people going with those cheap flights?
The vast majority of the top ten were on the way to Sydney, and most bargain hunters tended to prefer capital cities as their destinations. The main exception was residents of North Bondi in Sydney, who were mostly headed to the Gold Coast. Naturally, flights to and from Tasmania were also popular.
It also seems that living close to the airport has some perks for Jetstar frequent flyers, with residents of suburbs surrounding Gold Coast, Ballina and Avalon airports being more likely to take a cheap trip.
- Qantas flights to Asia are selling from $579 return
- REVEALED: Jeffree Star Cosmetics upcoming liquid highlighters
- Your first look at the upcoming ASOS x The Simpsons collection
- Markets weekly: Telstra, CSL, JB Hi-Fi, and QBE deliver strong performances
- This week in streaming: Netflix gets spooky and crime gets real
Follow us for all the latest deals and coupon codes