Jet set to Canada in time for ski season for under $900 return
Save $500+ on flights to Canada when you fly with Air China.
Flights to Canada have taken a tumble, falling down to less than $900 return.
The cheapest flights we've found take off from Melbourne to Vancouver during November and December from $894 return. And while you will miss out on peak Christmas dates with them, you'll be in time to catch the early snow season up at nearby snow fields like Whistler.
The catch? Long stopovers there and back. All up, each flight leg runs a little over 32 hours and includes a stopover in Beijing. These are during the day though and with Australia's transit visa in place means you can get out and see the city for a few hours before heading back to catch your connecting flight.
Compared to the fastest flight between the two cities for similar dates (15.5 hours with Air Canada from $1,485) you're looking at savings of over $500 return which is nothing to shake your head at.
Melbourne isn't the only city sitting pretty with stupidly cheap fares. From Brisbane, you can get into Vancouver from as little as $949 return on China Eastern in November and from Sydney, flights start at $951 return flying China Eastern.
The price might be slightly higher from Sydney, but to your benefit the flight time is much shorter coming in at 26 hours.
Book: You can browse for and book these flights now through Flight Finder here. They're on sale until sold out.
How good are these fares?
- Price: With savings of $500+ compared to flying with a direct service, you'll be sitting pretty with a lot of extra money to spend while on holiday. True, flights can go down to $839 return at their best but at under $900 these prices seriously aren't shabby at all.
- Airline: Air China and China Eastern are both full service carriers and checked luggage, in-flight meals and entertainment are included in your fare.
- Travel time: OK. Aside from Sydney to Vancouver flights, your journey is going to include a long stopover. This is great if you want to break up your flight or tack on another city to your trip but not ideal if you're pressed for time.
- Weather: Good. November is the end of autumn and you'll likely catch the last of the fall foliage with these flights as well as the start of the snow season. If summer sun is what you're after, these flights aren't for you. If cool weather, a ski break or a cheap city escape is your style these are worth checking out.
- Qantas sets date for international flights to US, UK, Fiji and more
- Virgin Australia VA-X and Win competition: All the details
- How I used Qantas Points to see Antarctica (as nowhere else is open)
- NSW Dine and Discover vouchers extended: Best ways to use yours now
- The 5 best Flight Centre EOFY travel deals