JBL Link 300 smart speaker review
Quick verdict: JBL's Link 300 may not have the portability of its smaller siblings, but it does boast the best sounding audio of any Google Assistant smart speaker we've tested.
- Superior audio quality for a Google Assistant speaker
- Full Google Assistant experience
- Dedicated buttons for most functions
- Voice detection could be better
- External power brick
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
JBL is one of the first audio companies to jump on board the smart speaker revolution with its Link family of speakers. While the Link 10 and Link 20 are both portable, battery-powered speakers, the Link 300 is a larger, premium model designed to fill a room with sound.
With dedicated buttons across the top of the speaker and Google Assistant functionality baked in, the Link 300 is a premium speaker worth consideration for anyone looking to expand their home with Google Assistant.
- Football shape distinguishes it from other smart speakers
- Wi-Fi LED doesn't really make sense
- Big sound with plenty of bass
- No distortion at high volumes
- Microphones struggle to detect voice commands above 40% volume
- Delivers higher-quality sound than many other Google Assistant speakers
- Smart home functionality is solid but unremarkable
Should you buy it?
If you want better audio than Google gives you from Google Home and are stuck on the idea of a Google Assistant device, then the JBL Link 300 is impossible to beat right now. It may not have the best sound quality we've heard from any smart speaker (that honour goes to the HomePod, funnily enough), but it's far superior to the bulk of Google-powered devices on the market.
As a smart device, the Link 300 does a perfectly good job, but its dual-microphone performance is lacking against the six microphone setup in the Echo devices and the Sonos One.
Overall, this is a standout product in an increasingly competitive market.
Pricing and availability
Where to buy
Google Play Music