Japan offers a variety of accommodation options to appeal to everyone from luxury travellers to backpackers on a budget.
Whichever type of traveller you happen to be, there's a perfect stay for you in the land of the rising sun. We've picked out some of the best stays in Japan’s most popular cities, which boast the most ideal locations for sightseeing and shopping in each destination.
Our top Japan hotel picks
Best places to stay in Japan
- Tokyo: Japan’s bustling capital is a must-visit. Staying in the thick of it is not difficult as each of its 47 neighbourhoods is as action-packed, colourful and accessible as the next thanks to the city’s extraordinary metro system. Popular neighbourhoods include entertainment district Shibuya, expat and party mecca Shinjuku, fashionable Ginza, quirky Harajuku, artificial island Odaiba, traditional Asakusa, tech-heavy Akihabara and hipster Shimokitazawa. From Tokyo you can reach Mount Fuji, Fuji-Q, Jigokudani Monkey Park and Yuzawa ski resorts.
- Osaka: Japan’s second largest city is a gateway to Kyoto, Nara and Hiroshima. The city itself is well-worth visiting for its nightlife and food. The main Dotonbori Street is a sensory overload with restaurants serving traditional cuisines and iconic interactive signs to light the way.
- Kyoto: The former capital of Japan is a flashback to a bygone era. It served as the seat of the emperor's residence from 794-1868 and maintains many traditions and cultures from those times. Kyoto’s Gion district is particularly famous for its kaiseki dining options, geisha shows and Buddhist temples.
- Hiroshima: Steeped in history, the city of Hiroshima has grown from strength to strength since being destroyed by an atomic bomb in World War II. Much of that era has been captured in museums and memorials.
- Kobe: While traditional food experiences can be had all throughout Japan, religious carnivores should make the pilgrimage to Kobe to sup on the delectable marbled Kobe beef in its city of origin. Kobe also offers a beautiful harbour setting, mountainous landscapes and some of Japan’s oldest Shinto shrines.
- Sapporo: This city on the island of Hokkaido is a popular destination during winter as it’s the gateway to popular ski resorts Niseko and Furano. During winter it hosts the Sapporo Snow Festival where gigantic ice sculptures overrun the town in a magical winter wonderland.
- Okinawa: Seeking a beachside holiday? Japan actually has some incredible subtropical beaches. Okinawa Prefecture in Japan’s south is the resort town that locals hightail it to in the peak of summer. Comprised of over 150 islands, it boasts an enviable tropical landscape of sand, surf and reef as well as World War II sites.
Japan hotel deals
Popular Hotels coupon codes
|5 Nov 2019
||Up to 75% off worldwide hotels + extra 5% off with code
|28 Oct 2019
||Extra 9% off hotel bookings
|2 Dec 2019
||Up to 25% off on 2 bedrooms + extra 5% off
|2 Dec 2019
||Up to 15% off on 1 bedroom + extra 5%-10% off
|29 Nov 2019
||Up to 25% off
Feature image: Park Hotel Tokyo