Flight deals to Japan
Find sale fares, special offers and deals on flights to Japan from Australia.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Land of the Rising Sun, Japan possesses a wealth of history and tradition while embracing the modern age. Visitors can find mind-boggling cities, fantastic skiing opportunities, World Heritage sites and gardens – in addition to the famous cherry blossoms in spring. The crazy capital of Tokyo is a realm of skyscrapers and gadgets galore with one of the world’s most impressive public transport systems.
A number of low-cost carriers and full-service airlines operate some direct and many indirect flights from Australia to Japan. Tokyo’s Narita International Airport is the best-served with travel time as short as nine hours, followed by Osaka (9.5 hours) and Sapporo (10 hours).
Popular Flights coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|2 Dec 2020||Up to 10% off international flights with code||MAS****|
|12 Jan 2021||Up to USD$100 off business class flights||BC1****|
|12 Jan 2021||Up to USD$20 off flights||JAN****|
|12 Jan 2021||Up to USD$30 off flight booking fees||HOL****|
|12 Jan 2021||Up to USD$10 off flight fees||LOV****|
Japan flight time
- From Sydney: 9 hrs+
- From Melbourne: 9 hrs 30 mins+
- From Perth: 13 hrs+
- From Brisbane: 9 hrs 15 mins+
Airlines that fly to Japan
- China Southern
- Japan Airlines
Japan insider flight tips
- Japan’s climate differs significantly between north and south. Northern winters can get bitterly cold and this is when the cheapest flights are found. You can always warm up in the hot springs! Summers in tropical south Japan are hot and sticky and most travellers prefer to avoid these.
- Australians can fly direct with Qantas to the capital from Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. To get to Tokyo and Osaka with Jetstar you can fly direct from, or via, Gold Coast and Cairns airports. AirAsia also operates a number of low-cost flights via Kuala Lumpur. The national carrier is Japan Airlines; they also run daily flights from Sydney to Tokyo and Osaka.
- If landing in Tokyo, select your seat on the right-hand side of the plane if you can, to get the best views of Mount Fuji and the city landscape from above.
- Travellers from Perth will usually find two-stop flights to be the cheapest or flights with AirAsia via Kuala Lumpur. Keep in mind AirAsia and Jetstar charge additional fees to check in baggage. Full-service airlines such as Cathay Pacific, Qantas and Singapore Airlines operate a range of flights from Australia to Japan but they tend to be at the top end of the price scale unless there is a sale.
How to get from the airport
Direct flights to Japan from Australia land either at Narita International Airport (NRT) for Tokyo or Kansai Airport (KIX) for Osaka. Public transport serves both of these airports well, with the quickest option being express train. Look for the JR Narita Express to Tokyo or the JR rapid service to Osaka.
The Tokyo-Sapporo route is one of the busiest in the world with around 80 flights per day, so look out for flight sales and you can snap up a bargain if you book in advance. Sapporo’s Chitose Airport is well connected to the city’s train station by a frequent JR rapid train service that takes around half an hour. There are also regular buses but they take twice as long and announcements are not always made in English.
Japan’s train and subway systems are some of the most efficient in the world. If you’re travelling extensively, look at purchasing a Japan Rail Pass before you leave Australia – it’s good value and valid on Japan’s most extensive network. There are numerous alternative rail passes to suit your itinerary with plenty of information available online, or speak to a travel agent.
Taxis are not a cheap way of getting around Japan as most locals and tourists rely on public transport. If you do want to flag one down, look for a red light as a green light means the taxi is occupied.
More guides on Finder
Cheap flights to Christchurch you can book in 2021
From deals to travel times to airlines, we’ve got the information you need to book your flight to Christchurch.
16 airlines and sites where you can book flexible flight tickets on new bookings
Have to cancel a flight? These airlines are offering you flexibility when you need it most.
Head around the globe from $289 with this Qantas sale
EXPIRED: Fly away from reality with flights to Noumea, Tokyo and Bali.
ICYMI: Jetstar one million seats sale is back from $31
EXPIRED: Catch your next holiday in Australia, Asia or Hawaii.
Cheap flights to Queensland you can book in 2021
Secure flights to Brisbane, Cairns, Gold Coast, Townsville and more with this guide to finding cheap flights to Queensland.
Score big on this Qantas sale with Japan flights from $577 return
EXPIRED: It's time to stop thinking about your next trip, this offer has you sorted.
Cheap Lord Howe Island (LDH) flights for 2021
Find all of the flight and transportation information you need for your upcoming trip to Lord Howe Island.
Flights to Coffs Habour (CFS) and deals for 2021
Find out how much you should be paying for flights, the best time to book and transport options with our guide for booking flights to Coffs Harbour.
AirAsia review: Kuala Lumpur to Sydney
From strict baggage limits to a lack of in-flight amenities, I'll probably think twice - or at least be better prepared - before booking another AirAsia flight.
Jetstar return for FREE sale boasts Japan flights from $269 return
EXPIRED: Discover snow-capped mountains, cherry blossoms and the Olympics.
Ask an Expert