iTrek Pioneer Travel Insurance is perfect for overseas adventures, offering a wide range of benefits plus the option to extend cover for up to 18 months
Prices are kept down because iTrek operates online, with fast applications and an easy online claims process. And because it’s insurance for the young and young at heart, it includes optional cover for a variety of activities you might want to pursue while overseas, as well as extended coverage for up to 18 months to give you plenty of time to see and do everything.iTrek is travel insurance designed for travellers rather than tourists. Part of the well-known 1Cover Travel Insurance Group, iTrek specialises in affordable travel insurance. It’s insurance that’s particularly suitable for backpackers, globetrotters and anyone heading off on an extended overseas adventure who knows they need insurance, but doesn’t want to pay an arm and a leg to get it.
What is covered by iTrek Pioneer Travel Insurance?
iTrek Pioneer Travel Insurance is the highest level of cover offered by iTrek. It provides comprehensive cover at an affordable price and includes:
- Unlimited overseas emergency medical assistance and hospital expenses cover
- Overseas emergency dental expenses.
- Additional accommodation and travel expenses due to cancellations because of illness, injury or journey disruption.
- Family emergency cover for lost travel expenses and a flight home if a family member or travelling companion is injured, falls ill or dies.
- Return airfare cover for a return airline ticket to Australia if you are advised to return home because of injury or illness.
- Resumption of journey cover for airfares back to the place where your journey was interrupted.
- Hospital cash allowance, which provides a $50 payment every day you are in hospital longer than 48 hours.
- Travel documents, credit cards and travellers cheques cover, which pays for their replacement if lost or stolen.
- Theft of cash cover, which provides reimbursement for stolen cash, bank notes and money orders.
- Luggage and personal effects cover, which pays for the repair or replacement of lost, stolen or damaged luggage and personal effects.
- Luggage and personal effects delay expenses cover, which pays for items delayed, misdirected or misplaced by a carrier for longer than 12 hours.
- Cancellation fees and lost deposits cover, which pays for cancellation fees and lost deposits due to your journey being unexpectedly cancelled.
- Travel delay expenses cover, which includes reimbursement for meals and accommodation costs incurred because of an unforeseen disruption to your journey.
- Alternative transport expenses cover, which pays for additional travel costs incurred in reaching an event or prepaid tour on time, because of cancelled, delayed or diverted transport.
- Personal liability cover, which includes legal liability expenses in relation to a third party death, injury, loss or property damage.
Why choose iTrek travel insurance?
There are plenty of good reasons to choose iTrek travel insurance. Not only are they cheaper than a lot of other insurers because they operate solely online, but they also:
- Offer longer periods of cover (up to 18 months).
- Make applying easy – you can be covered in under five minutes if you apply online or over the phone.
- Make claiming easy – their claims process is so simple that some small claims can be settled with one phone call.
- Cover a range of activities – they provide optional cover for all sorts of adventurous activities from scuba diving to bungee jumping.
- Take medical cover seriously – their policies feature unlimited medical and hospital cover, including emergency evacuation and a 24-hour medical service.
- Are a name you can trust – being underwritten by Allianz Australia Insurance Limited means you’re in safe hands with iTrek travel insurance.
iTrek benefits comparison
iTrek offers four different policies with four different levels of cover (Pioneer, Adventurer, Trekker and Wanderer). Pioneer provides the most comprehensive cover, while Wanderer offers the least cover at a cheaper price. The following is a comparison between all four policies in terms of what is covered and for how much.
- Overseas emergency medical assistance and hospital expenses - unlimited cover in all four policies
- Dental expenses - $500 per person in all four policies
- Additional accommodation and travel expenses - $10,000 for singles and $20,000 for families except for Wanderer, which is $5,000 for singles and $10,000 for families
- Return airfare cover - only in the Pioneer policy and is $2,000 for singles and $4,000 for families
- Resumption of journey cover - only in the Pioneer policy and is $5,000 for singles and $10,000 for families
- Hospital cash allowance - in all four policies and is $5,000 for singles and $10,000 for families
- Travel documents, credit cards and travellers cheques cover - only in the Pioneer policy and is $5,000 for singles and $10,000 for families
- Theft of cash - only in the Pioneer policy and is $250 for singles and $500 for families
- Luggage and personal effects cover - in Pioneer and Adventurer policies and is $5,000 for singles and $10,000 for families
- Luggage and personal effects delay expenses - only in the Pioneer policy and is $250 for singles and $500 for families
- Cancellation fees and lost deposits - unlimited in Pioneer, $15,000 for singles and $30,000 for families in Adventurer, $10,000 and $20,000 in Trekker and not offered in Wanderer policy
- Travel delay expenses – only in Pioneer and is $2,000 for singles and $4,000 for families
- Alternative transport expenses – only in Pioneer and is $5,000 for singles and $10,000 for families
- Personal liability - $2.5 million for singles and families in Pioneer, $2 million in Adventurer and $1 million in Trekker and Wanderer.
iTrek pre-existing medical conditions
Travel insurance only provides medical cover for unforeseen events. Any condition that you are aware of will not normally be covered, unless the insurer has expressly agreed to do so.
iTrek medical coverage is no different from other insurers in this regard and will not cover pre-existing medical conditions that are not listed in its policy’s Product Disclosure Statement.
Pre-existing conditions not usually covered by travel insurance include cancers, surgery-related conditions, chronic or recurring pain, some kinds of mental Illness, cardiovascular disease and organ transplants.
If you have a pre-existing medical condition and aren’t sure whether you would be covered, you should call iTrek to discuss whether coverage can be obtained. Because if they aren’t aware of it and you have an illness or injury associated with it, you will most likely be paying your own way in hospital, which in some overseas countries can be prohibitively expensive.
iTrek Pioneer Travel Insurance general exclusions
Just as with pre-existing medical conditions, there are also other exclusions contained within travel insurance policies. Exclusions are circumstances in which the insurer will not cover you and in an iTrek Pioneer Travel Insurance policy they include;
- If you do not act responsibly to protect yourself and your property
- If you do not do everything in your power to reduce your loss
- If you are not an Australian resident
- If you are claiming for consequential loss, such as loss of enjoyment
- If your claim is for losses due to carrier or provider insolvency
- If your loss is recoverable in some other way, such as compensation
- If you or your booking agent fail to obtain the right travel documents
- If you act illegally or break any government regulations
- If your claim is for something that has been confiscated or destroyed
- If your claim relates to a motorbike and you don’t hold an Australian motorbike licence
- If your claim is the result of an epidemic or pandemic
- If you ignore government travel warnings
- If your claim arises from an act of war, rebellion or military coup
- If your claim is nuclear-related or involves biological or chemical warfare or terrorism
- If your claim arises out of pregnancy or childbirth complications
- If your claim arises from suicide or attempted suicide
- If you were under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- If your claim relates to the hospitalisation or death of a person aged 85 years or over
- If you scuba dive without a licensed instructor or a current Australian diving licence
- If you travel in any airborne device other than a licensed passenger aircraft (does not apply to licensed ballooning).
Apply for iTrek Travel Insurance
Despite the exclusions, similar versions of which you will find in most travel insurance policies, iTrek Pioneer Travel Insurance offers quality coverage for a very affordable price and would suit any traveller wanting to pay less, without compromising on the travel insurance essentials. Cover can be taken out entirely online so you don't need to worry about any paperwork. Finder.com.au always recommends you read through the product disclosure statement before purchasing your policy so you can be sure to know exactly what you are covered for.