iTrek Long Term Travel Insurance is perfect for overseas adventures, offering a wide range of benefits plus the option to extend cover for up to 24 months.
Prices are kept down because iTrek operates online, with fast applications and an easy online claims process. And because it’s insurance for the young and young at heart, it includes optional cover for a variety of activities you might want to pursue while overseas, as well as extended coverage for up to 24 months to give you plenty of time to see and do everything.iTrek is travel insurance designed for travellers rather than tourists. Part of the well-known 1Cover Travel Insurance Group, iTrek specialises in affordable travel insurance. It’s insurance that’s particularly suitable for backpackers, globetrotters and anyone heading off on an extended overseas adventure who knows they need insurance, but doesn’t want to pay an arm and a leg to get it.
What is covered by iTrek Long Term Travel Insurance?
iTrek Long Term Travel Insurance is the highest level of cover offered by iTrek. It provides comprehensive cover at an affordable price and includes:
- Unlimited overseas emergency medical assistance and hospital expenses cover
- Overseas emergency dental expenses.
- Family emergency cover for lost travel expenses and a flight home if a family member or travelling companion is injured, falls ill or dies.
- Resumption of journey cover for airfares back to the place where your journey was interrupted.
- Hospital cash allowance, which provides a $50 payment every day you are in hospital longer than 48 hours.
- Travel documents, credit cards and travellers cheques cover, which pays for their replacement if lost or stolen.
- Theft of cash cover, which provides reimbursement for stolen cash, bank notes and money orders.
- Luggage and personal effects cover, which pays for the repair or replacement of lost, stolen or damaged luggage and personal effects.
- Luggage and personal effects delay expenses cover, which pays for items delayed, misdirected or misplaced by a carrier for longer than 12 hours.
- Cancellation fees and lost deposits cover, which pays for cancellation fees and lost deposits due to your journey being unexpectedly cancelled.
- Travel delay expenses cover, which includes reimbursement for meals and accommodation costs incurred because of an unforeseen disruption to your journey.
- Alternative transport expenses cover, which pays for additional travel costs incurred in reaching an event or prepaid tour on time, because of cancelled, delayed or diverted transport.
- Personal liability cover, which includes legal liability expenses in relation to a third party death, injury, loss or property damage.
Why choose iTrek travel insurance?
There are plenty of good reasons to choose iTrek travel insurance. Not only are they cheaper than a lot of other insurers because they operate solely online, but they also:
- Offer longer periods of cover (up to 24 months).
- Make applying easy – you can be covered in under five minutes if you apply online or over the phone.
- Make claiming easy – their claims process is so simple that some small claims can be settled with one phone call.
- Cover a range of activities – they provide optional cover for all sorts of adventurous activities from scuba diving to bungee jumping.
- Take medical cover seriously – their policies feature unlimited medical and hospital cover, including emergency evacuation and a 24-hour medical service.
iTrek benefits comparison
iTrek offers four different policies with four different levels of cover (Long Term, Comprehensive, Essentials and Medical Only). Long Term and Comprehensive policies provide the most comprehensive cover, while Medical Only offers the least cover at a cheaper price. The following is a comparison between all four policies in terms of what is covered and for how much.
- Overseas emergency medical assistance and hospital expenses - unlimited cover for Long Term and Comprehensive and $5,000,000 for Essentials and Medical Only policies
- Dental expenses - $500 per person in all four policies
- Resumption of journey cover - $1,500 only for Long Term and Comprehensive policies
- Hospital cash allowance - $5,000 only for Long Term and Comprehensive policies
- Travel documents, credit cards and travellers cheques cover - $2,500 only for Long Term and Comprehensive policies
- Theft of cash - $250 only for Long Term and Comprehensive policies
- Luggage and personal effects cover - $10,000 for Long Term and Comprehensive policies, $2,500 for Essentials policy and not offered in Medical Only policy
- Luggage and personal effects delay expenses - $500 for Long Term and Comprehensive policies, $250 for Essentials policy and not offered in Medical Only policy
- Cancellation fees and lost deposits - $15,000 in Long Term, $20,000 in Comprehensive $5,000 in Essentials and not offered in Medical Only policy
- Alternative transport expenses – $5,000 only for Long Term and Comprehensive policies
- Personal liability - $2.5 million for Long Term and Comprehensive policies and $1 million for Essentials and Medical Only policies.
iTrek pre-existing medical conditions
Travel insurance only provides medical cover for unforeseen events. Any condition that you are aware of will not normally be covered, unless the insurer has expressly agreed to do so.
iTrek medical coverage is no different from other insurers in this regard and will not cover pre-existing medical conditions that are not listed in its policy’s Product Disclosure Statement.
Pre-existing conditions not usually covered by travel insurance include cancers, surgery-related conditions, chronic or recurring pain, some kinds of mental Illness, cardiovascular disease and organ transplants.
If you have a pre-existing medical condition and aren’t sure whether you would be covered, you should call iTrek to discuss whether coverage can be obtained. Because if they aren’t aware of it and you have an illness or injury associated with it, you will most likely be paying your own way in hospital, which in some overseas countries can be prohibitively expensive.
iTrek Long Term Travel Insurance general exclusions
Just as with pre-existing medical conditions, there are also other exclusions contained within travel insurance policies. Exclusions are circumstances in which the insurer will not cover you and in an iTrek Long Term Travel Insurance policy they include;
- If you do not act responsibly to protect yourself and your property
- If you do not do everything in your power to reduce your loss
- If you are not an Australian resident
- If you are claiming for consequential loss, such as loss of enjoyment
- If your claim is for losses due to carrier or provider insolvency
- If your loss is recoverable in some other way, such as compensation
- If you or your booking agent fail to obtain the right travel documents
- If you act illegally or break any government regulations
- If your claim is for something that has been confiscated or destroyed
- If your claim relates to a motorbike and you don’t hold an Australian motorbike licence
- If your claim is the result of an epidemic or pandemic
- If you ignore government travel warnings
- If your claim arises from an act of war, rebellion or military coup
- If your claim is nuclear-related or involves biological or chemical warfare or terrorism
- If your claim arises out of pregnancy or childbirth complications
- If your claim arises from suicide or attempted suicide
- If you were under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- If your claim relates to the hospitalisation or death of a person aged 85 years or over
- If you scuba dive without a licensed instructor or a current Australian diving licence
- If you travel in any airborne device other than a licensed passenger aircraft (does not apply to licensed ballooning).
Apply for iTrek Travel Insurance
Despite the exclusions, similar versions of which you will find in most travel insurance policies, iTrek Long Term Travel Insurance offers quality coverage for a very affordable price and would suit any traveller wanting to pay less, without compromising on the travel insurance essentials. Cover can be taken out entirely online so you don't need to worry about any paperwork. Finder.com.au always recommends you read through the product disclosure statement before purchasing your policy so you can be sure to know exactly what you are covered for.