We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Important:Travel insurance rules continue to change as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. We’re working hard to keep up and make sure our guides are up to date, however some information may not be accurate during the pandemic. It’s even more important to double-check all details that matter to you before taking out cover. Please know that some policies may not be available through Finder at this time. Here are some helpful tips:
- If you're buying a policy today, it's unlikely that you'll be covered for border closures
- If your travel plans go against government advice, your policy will most likely be voided and you won't be covered
It is always a smart move to take out travel insurance when going on a trip. It provides peace of mind knowing that you are financially protected if you become ill or injured or suffer an unexpected loss.
iTrek specialises in providing insurance for travellers rather than tourists, offering value for money policies with varying levels of cover. They are designed for those who aspire to the road less travelled and want experiences outside the normal tourist offerings and this guide looks at the types of cover provided and the many advantages (and few disadvantages) of insuring with iTrek Discount Code.
Other deals available on finder.com.au
What policies are available from iTrek?
iTrek Travel Insurance offers a tiered system of coverage levels. These include:
- Medical Only. iTrek’s most affordable travel insurance. It includes overseas emergency medical assistance, medical and hospital expenses,dental expenses, local funeral expenses and personal liability insurance.
- Essentials. All the benefits of the Medical Only package plus cover for cancellation fees and lost deposits and other benefits.
- Comprehensive. This package is the ultimate in comprehensive coverage from itrek.
- Long Term Cover. The Long Term package includes the benefits of the comprehensive package. Available for travelers between the age of 18-49 and must have a valid visa for 24 months.
Pros and Cons of iTrek
There are plenty of great reasons to insure your travels with iTrek including:
- Four easy to understand and cost effective insurance packages tailored to suit every price range
- The choice of both single and family cover
- A simplified claims process, often requiring just a single phone call
- Longer cover, with some policies offering up to 24 months cover
- Excesses apply
- Depreciation will be applied to all claims made regarding luggage and personal effects
- No annual policy
How do I apply for iTrek travel insurance?
Once you have read and compared the policies and coverage levels available and determined the best cover for your situation, you can either call iTrek direct to speak to a travel consultant on 1300 884 430, or you can obtain a quote online by entering the required fields in the featured box on their home page, including:
- The places you’re planning to visit
- The travel dates
- The ages of adults travelling with you
- Whether there are any dependants travelling
Then just click on the Get Quote button to see the estimated cost of your premium. It is recommended that you also read the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) before purchasing your insurance.
Q: How long does it take to apply for cover?
- A: It can be done over the phone or via the internet in just a few minutes with a Visa or Mastercard credit card.
Q: What if I don't have a credit card?
- A: You can pay by direct deposit, cheque, bank cheque, Australia Post money order or PayPal account. Simply contact the sales department beforehand on 1300 884 430.
Q: Can I buy my policy if I've already left Australia?
- A: No, you must be in Australia to purchase iTrek insurance.
Q: How much is the excess on all policies?
- A: A standard excess of $200 applies. However, you can reduce the excess from $200 to $100.
Q: Do you cover rental vehicle excess?
- A: Yes, iTrek does provide cover for the excess payable for hire cars.
Q: Am I covered if I travel to a country which has government warnings against it?
- A: We will not provide cover if you travel to a country that is listed on smartraveller.com.au as ‘do not travel’. If the country changes to ‘do not travel’ during your journey however, we will provide cover for you to be brought home.
Q: Can I cancel my iTrek policy if I’m not happy with it?
- A: If you decide that you do not want your iTrek policy for any reason, you can cancel it within 14 days of being issued your Certificate of Insurance and Product Disclosure Statement. You will be given a full refund of the premium you have paid, as long as you have not commenced your journey and do not want to make a claim or exercise any other right under the policy. You can still cancel your policy at any time after the 14-day cooling off period, but iTrek will not refund any part of your premium.
More guides on Finder
Tasmania electricity prices drop 1 July. How much will you save?
Households in Tasmania frustrated with high electricity bills will welcome the upcoming price drop which could save them up to $145 per year.
10 knitwear trends we’re rocking this winter
Look hot while you’re staying warm: Here are 60+ knits to shop no matter what budget or aesthetic you're rocking.
5 tax tips every Australian property investor needs to know this financial year
As we reach the end of the financial year, Australian property investors need to work out what they can claim and organise their records.
Virgin Australia announces free flights competition for vaccinated Aussies
Roll up your sleeves because COVID-19 vaccine incentives are on their way.
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best deals in Australia today
Today's best Prime Day deals include: 50% off Oodie winter hoodies, 45% off Bose 700 headphones, cheap TEAC 4K UHD smart TVs.
Best Australian EOFY sales 2021: Dyson, eBay + heaps more
Score big this end of financial year with 85% off homewares, 80% off fashion and 60% off tech.
Madison Beer and Vanessa Hudgens launch skincare brand Know Beauty
Know Beauty includes cleansers, moisturisers and serums rooted in DNA personalisation. Here's how you can get your hands on it.
Amazon Prime Day Australia 2021: 11 great deals you can still get
Forgot that Prime Day was on? Don't panic! Here are 11 unmissable deals you can still get today.
Amazon Prime Day: Best global store deals to shop before time runs out
Samsung, Hasbro, KitchenAid, Lenovo, Nautica – take advantage of these Prime Day deals before they disappear.
Ask an Expert