We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
An IT services agreement template is a must if your business is providing any kind of IT services to clients. Not sure how to write one? Use a template and save yourself the time and money of creating an agreement from scratch.
In this guide, we'll show you where to find customisable IT services agreement templates, what these documents include and answer any other questions you may have.
What is an IT services agreement?
An IT service agreement is a legal document that covers the terms and conditions between a business offering IT services and a client.
The agreement outlines the types of services that are being provided, how these services will be provided, the costs involved and how the payments will be made.
The agreement is a legal contract that can hold all parties involved accountable if any part of the agreement is breached. Moreover, having everything written out can help avoid disputes or conflicts down the line.
Get a customisable services agreement template
Download this template at Lawpath
More on where to find IT services agreement templates
The following websites offer templates of IT services agreements and other similar legal documents:
- Sprintlaw. Sprintlaw offers a fixed-fee IT services agreement package for $1375 + GST. This comprehensive package includes phone consultations with a lawyer, a tailored agreement to your business and complementary amendments to the final document.
- Rocket Lawyer. Customise your IT services agreement and download it as a PDF for US $39.99 via Rocket Lawyers website.
- Docustream. Download a customisable IT service agreement in Microsoft Word format and receive complimentary legal advice for $550.
- Lawpath. With Lawpath you can create legal documents, hire lawyers at fixed-fees, check your legal health and lots more. Their membership starts at $79 a month.
- LegalVision. Access hundreds of legal documents and templates from the LegalVision library. A weekly membership for $49 gets you unlimited access to legal advice, legal documents and more.
You can also find more relevant business documents and templates for your IT business here.
Does your company belong in this list?
What clauses does an IT services agreement include?
The clauses in an IT services agreement can differ, depending on the type of IT services your business provides. However, the following clauses are usually included in an IT services agreement:
- Name and contact. The names and contact details of both the IT business and the client.
- Scope of work. An outline of the types of IT services that will be provided. You may also include a project timeline or milestones
- Payment terms. Details on how and when the payments for the IT services are to be made. This includes the total amount the client will pay and whether any down payments are required.
- Intellectual property (IP). A section explaining who owns the copyright and IP of the final outcome of the project. For example, if a company hires your business to create custom software, make sure you clearly state who owns the rights to the software in the agreement.
- Clients responsibilities. Although you, as a provider, are under obligations, the client also has to recognise their responsibilities. These include granting you access to their IT systems and general staff co-operation with your services.
- Dispute resolution. A step-by-step process of how disputes should be resolved.
- Date and signature. The agreement should be dated and signed by all parties involved for it to come into effect.
If you're unsure whether your IT services agreement includes all the clauses it needs to, then take advantage of online legal services. Have a legal professional review your documents at an affordable rate on websites such as Sprintlaw and Lawpath for better peace of mind.
When should I use an IT services agreement?
An IT services agreement should be used by a business that provides any kind of IT services. The agreement will set out the professional relationship and ensure you and your clients are on the same page from the start.
The IT services agreement also manages your client's expectations, allowing the client to understand what IT services they will receive as part of the arrangement.
Frequently asked questions
How do I write an IT services agreement?
An IT services agreement can be drafted using one of the templates listed above. Customise the agreement to match the project and the parties involved. Alternatively, you can hire a legal professional to draft an IT services agreement for you.
How effective is an IT services agreement?
An IT services agreement is very effective in several different ways, benefiting both the writer of the agreement and the clients who sign them. Above all else, the agreement is effective in the way it explains, in clear terms, what is expected from both sides of the agreement.
An IT services agreement can also be used as evidence if there happen to be any legal disputes in a court of law. It can show that an agreement of the terms and conditions was made on both sides at the time.
Do I need a lawyer for an IT services agreement?
You do not need a lawyer to draw up an IT services agreement. As long as you have a strong template to begin with, you include all relevant terms and conditions and it's signed by all parties involved, then the document will be valid.
This being said, having a lawyer review or draft the agreement can be very beneficial. For example, they may fix the document so that it abides by Australian national and state laws. Find an online law firm here to have a legal professional look over and provide advice on your business agreements here.Back to top
Ask an Expert