The Investec Platinum Credit Card is a frequent flyer card with a number of premium perks from niche financial services firm Investec.
Important InformationAs of the 1st of August 2014, Investec Bank (Australia) Limited was acquired by Bank of Queensland (BOQ) and rebranded as BOQ specialist.
You can compare the current range of BOQ Specialist credit cards here.
The Investec Platinum credit card is geared towards providing you with benefits through partnerships with Visa and Qantas. This means you get access to the Qantas Frequent Flyer program and the perks it offers, as well as platinum benefits such as complimentary insurances and a concierge service. It also caters to those preparing to graduate from their medical or dental studies.
There are a range of features which make the Investec Platinum credit card a viable option for anyone looking to get the most out of their purchases.
- Travel. When you use your card to purchase return travel tickets you receive up to 90 days of travel insurance for you, your spouse and dependant children. There’s also transport accident insurance and a global hire car excess waiver to protect you when travelling. You also have access to a 15% discount on Visa Airport Speed Pass services, which fast tracks you through immigration and provides a local guide to escort you through.
- Other insurance policies. The Investec Platinum also comes with other insurance policies which can be of great use in Australia, including golfer’s insurance, extended warranty and purchase security insurance.
- Qantas Points. Earn Qantas Points for your everyday purchases with the Qantas Frequent Flyer program, You can earn 1 Qantas Point per $2 spent in Australia, 1 Qantas Point per $1 internationally, and 1 additional Qantas Point earned per $1 spent on selected Qantas products and services in Australia. Investec will also waive the $89.50 joining fee for the Qantas Frequent Flyer program.
- Savings for students. Investec also offers a benefit specifically designed for medical or dental students in their penultimate and final years, the details of which are outlined below.
- Additional cardholders. You can choose to have a second card for yourself, or can have a second cardholder on the account who is over 16 years of age for no extra charge.
- Concierge and entertainment. With Investec Platinum you have access to the Visa concierge service anywhere in the world. You can also reserve tickets to events, shows and sports games using Visa Front Line Access.
- Student offer. Investec offers flexibility for medical and dental students in their final and penultimate years. The offer is aimed at providing students with options for accessing credit either through a credit card or an account that allows an overdraft.
The offer lets students choose between a Platinum credit card with a $6,000 limit and no annual fee until they start working, or an Investec One Account with an overdraft of up to $10,000 for final year students and $7,000 for students in their second last year, with no repayment required until 1st July following the year which you expect to graduate.
Pros and cons
- No overseas ATM withdrawal fees. You will not be charged for ATM withdrawals in Australia or overseas which is a great benefit for frequent travellers.
- Access. You can make purchases anywhere Visa is accepted, which includes millions of locations worldwide.
- Student benefits. These benefits are limited to medical and dental students. It’s also useful to note there are credit card options with lower interest rates tailored to students currently in the market.