Intrepid launches women-only expeditions for International Women’s Day
Your window into the life of women in Morocco, Iran and Jordan
Small tour company Intrepid yesterday launched three bespoke women expeditions through Morocco, Iran and Jordan just in time for International Women's Day.
Aimed at fostering discussion, breaking down stereotypes and misconceptions, and providing an immersive local experience, the tours take women travellers on a journey they would not otherwise be able to experience when travelling in a mixed-gender group in these countries.
Led by female tour guides, keen travellers meet with local women to learn about their traditions, customs, lifestyle and challenges on a personal level. This includes the opportunity to kick back in a salon in Shiraz, stay at a local home in Iran, experience the life of Bedouin women in the desert and witness the artistry of women rug-weavers in Ait Bouguemez in Morocco.
The countries were chosen due to cultural and religious factors where the tour company believes there is a heightened benefit of local interaction. While these expeditions are for a limited time only, running from September 2018 until January 2019, Intrepid isn't ruling out the possibility of extending or expanding its women's expedition repertoire.
"We're hoping we can expand our range of female-only trips and make them permanent in the long term," the company states on its site.
Each tour is limited to one or two departures and all operate on a small-tour basis with no more than 12 women per group. They're all available to book now through Intrepid and tour sites such as TourRadar:
- Morocco: Women's Expedition - An eight-day tour from Marrakesh where you'll discuss the changing nature of the rug-weaving trade by women in Talsanant, learn how to make flatbread, experience Berber hospitality and dress in traditional clothing.
- The tour departs 13 October and prices start from $1,090 per person.
- Iran: Women's Expedition - A 12-day tour from Tehran where you'll witness life completely from a woman's point of view. You will travel in the women-only carriages of the public transport system, picnic in one of the city's women-only parks and enjoy a pamper session inside the female oasis of a beauty salon.
- The tour departs 8 December 2018 and 19 January 2019 and prices start from $3,495 per person.
- Jordan: Women's Expedition An eight-day tour from Amman where you'll give your legs a good workout walking around Jordan's historical sites and immersing yourselves in the life of Jordanian women. On top of the iconic sites of Wadi Rum and Petra, you'll have the chance to bathe in mineral mud, cook traditional food, relax in a hamam and milk a goat – all alongside the local women.
- The tour departs 8 September 2018 and prices start from $2,125 per person.
- New international travel rules: Quarantine, proof of vax, visas and more explained
- $200 off: Flight Centre’s best 5 international travel deals
- 5 cheapest places to fly to when Australia’s international borders reopen
- Qantas sets date for international flights to US, UK, Fiji and more
- Virgin Australia VA-X and Win competition: All the details