Intrepid introduces new women-only expeditions for International Women’s Day
Uncover the customs, challenges, food and lives of local women all around the world.
Following the success of last year's launch of Women's Expeditions in the Middle East, Intrepid has introduced four new tours. This time in Kenya, India, Nepal and Turkey.
The tours are for women-only and led by female guides. This unique situation allows travellers the chance to meet and hear inspiring stories from strong female role models around the world.
This includes people like Becky, East Africa's first female overland truck driver or Sabahat, a female skipper who is as comfortable navigating to an ancient sunken city as she is cooking a Turkish feast.
Since its inception, Intrepid's women-only tours have grown from strength to strength. It was initially launched with four departures but has been so popular it's now at 36.
Experiences that are typically off-limits on regular tours itineraries due to a mixed group are now a highlight. Imagine celebrating at the female-only Gangur Festival in Rajasthan or swimming on a women-only beach in Antalya. That's what you get here.
Intrepid's global product manager Jenny Gray said, "This year we've discovered even more extraordinary stories of female empowerment. These remarkable new Expeditions give travellers the chance to hear from people from all walks of life about their personal and collective struggles and triumphs in achieving gender equality. They allow travellers to enter private spaces and foster conversations that would be impossible in mixed gender groups."
All tours are available to book through Intrepid and sites such as TourRadar:
- Women's Expedition - Kenya from $3,725: An 11-day tour through the heart of East Africa where you'll meet local female entrepreneurs, park rangers and Maasai villagers and visit women-only villages. Join a cooking class, swim in the thermal baths of Hell's Gate National Park and explore the Mau Mau caves.
- Women's Expedition - Turkey from $1,995: Spend 12 days learning about ancient traditions and meeting the women of Turkey. Take to the seas with a female skipper, wander amongst the fairy chimneys and soak your cares away in a hammam (Ottoman-style spa).
- Women's Expedition - Nepal from $2,195: Put your best foot forward with an all-female hiking crew as over 13 days. You'll have the chance to visit to an organisation that empowers marginalised women, learn how to cook traditional Nepalese food and reconnect with nature at a female-run village homestay.
- Women's Expedition - India from $1,395: Spend a night dancing under the stars on a desert safari and partake in a women's-only celebration on this 12-day trip.
- Vivid Sydney 2019: Sneak peek of Lights for the Wild at Taronga Zoo
- Cheap Flights of the Week: Gold Coast, United Kingdom, Ireland and Vanuatu
- The best destinations for first-time travellers revealed by Skyscanner
- Cheap Flights of the Week: Fiji, Indonesian islands and the United Kingdom
- Cheap Flights of the Week: USA, Argentina and Australia