We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
It pays to have an internship agreement template in place before you hire an intern, as it could save you from legal issues down the road. We'll show you what to include and point you in the right direction for free template downloads.
What's in this guide?
- What is an internship agreement?
- When should I use an internship agreement?
- Internship agreement versus internship contract
- What does an internship agreement include?
- How effective is an internship agreement?
- Do I need a lawyer for an internship agreement?
- Get access to customisable internship agreement templates online
- How do I write an internship agreement?
- Where to get free legal documents and templates like an internship agreement
What is an internship agreement?
An internship agreement is a legally binding contract between an employer and an intern. It sets out in detail the roles and responsibilities of both parties, as well as the terms and conditions of the relationship. With an internship agreement, you know your confidential material and intellectual property is protected.
Download this internship agreement template at Lawpath
When should I use an internship agreement?
You will usually need to have an internship agreement template in place before you take on an intern, as they will need to sign it before they begin work. Whether it's a paid or unpaid internship, you still need a contract.
Internship agreement versus internship contract
There is no difference between an internship contract and an internship agreement; they both set out the expectations and duties of an internship. They also both establish what the intern will gain in lieu of pay.
What does an internship agreement include?
It is important that your internship agreement includes the kind of benefit the intern will gain from the internship. This helps to recognise their role as an intern as opposed to an employee, as in an employee contract, it states what the employer will benefit from the relationship. Here is what should be included in your internship agreement:
- Clearly defines the role and responsibilities of both parties
- Outlines the terms and conditions of the internship
- Identifies how the internship will be conducted
- Lists the facilities and equipment used
- Confidentiality clause
- Intellectual property clause
- Termination of internship clause
- Indemnity clause
How effective is an internship agreement?
An internship agreement is only effective if it is dated and signed by both the intern and the employer. It's also an essential document to protect your intellectual property and trade secrets. The agreement needs to clearly define the relationship as an internship as opposed to an employee position.
Do I need a lawyer for an internship agreement?
You do not need a lawyer to draft up an internship agreement in writing. There are a number of free templates you can use online to make sure the agreement includes what it needs to and that it's legally binding.
Get access to customisable internship agreement templates online
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Does your company belong in this list?
How do I write an internship agreement?
Start by finding a free template of an internship agreement to download (see below) so you can customise it to suit your needs. This will help to keep you within the parameters of what is required by law to make it legally binding.
Where to get free legal documents and templates like an internship agreement
You can try government websites to find sample internship agreement templates to download. There are also a few legal sites where you can view the document you need before downloading. Other legal sites offer memberships and access to their library of legal and business documents for free. Here are some examples:
- Lawpath. Lawpath is an online legal resource for small businesses and entrepreneurs. You can view samples of legal document templates for free, but there's a fee for access to downloads and customisable options.
- Wonder.Legal. Choose from more than 140 legal document templates with an average fee of $22.96 to download. All you have to do is fill out a questionnaire and Wonder.Legal does the rest.
- LawDepot. LawDepot offers hundreds of business and legal documents free to download. All you do is fill them in online before downloading the documents straight to your computer.
- LegalVision. For a monthly membership to LegalVision of $199, you'll get unlimited access to free downloads of legal document templates.
More guides on Finder
Amazon Prime Day top beauty buys: 40% off FOREO, GHD, L’Oreal
From makeup to skincare to haircare, these are the hot beauty offers we're expecting to see this Prime Day.
Paul Gallen vs Justis Huni: Fight time and how to watch live online
Undefeated heavyweight Justis Huni and former NRL star Paul Gallen will square off in what's being called Termination Day.
eBay kitchen EOFY sale: 75% off with these discount codes
Score up to 75% off cookwares and kitchen appliances when you add these 'hidden' discount codes during the eBay EFOY sale.
Why did the Coca Cola (NYSE:KO) share price drop?
Shares in the beverage maker had lifted nearly 15% since February.
Amazon Prime Day 2021 Australia: Early deals on now
Amazon Prime Day 2021 officially starts on June 21 - or does it? Here's a stack of early-bird deals you can get right now.
Amazon Prime Day: Top hacks for Australians in the 2021 sales
From when to shop to how to split the cost of your purchase, we’ve got you covered this Prime Day.
How to invest in the Charger Metals IPO
Everything we know about the Charger Metals IPO, plus information on how to buy in.
Editor’s Picks from the Nasty Gal x We The Wild Ones new edit
Ultimate cool gals Lucy and Nikki just dropped the rock n roll edit of our dreams and here's how you can get 60% off at the checkout.
Finder Daily Deals: The 6 best Prime Day deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: Amazon Prime Day early-bird deals, 25% off Lenovo Chromebooks, Bose audio clearance.
How to invest in the PEXA Group IPO
Everything we know about the PEXA Group IPO, plus information on how to buy in.
Ask an Expert