With an Apple TV any television in your home is instantly transformed into a home theatre.
That's not all. If you own other Apple devices, such as an iPhone or iPad, you also can stream content found on the web with those to your television using Apple TV. This allows for more viewing options than just what is provided by internet TV service providers in Australia. Read on to find out how else you can use your Apple TV for all your entertainment purposes.
Want all the TV shows and movies? You can get a free trial with each of the streaming internet tv providers below:
About Apple TV
In addition to being able to import movies and music from the iTunes store, Apple TV is compatible with other Internet TV service providers in Australia. These include:
- Tenplay. Allows you to watch recently aired episodes of shows appearing on the Ten, Eleven, and One networks in superior streaming quality. With Tenplay you can watch shows like Glee, Jamie Oliver and House of Lies immediately after they have aired.
- Cricket. An exclusive channel dedicated to cricket both in Australia and around the world.
- MLB TV Premium. Watch live baseball games in HD or order past games from their archives.
- NFL Now. Personalise NFL coverage around your favourite teams and players.
- NHL Gamecenter. Live hockey game coverage as well as replay options.
- NBA TV. Subscribers can see live basketball games or replay regular season games on demand.
- RedBull TV. Features live events in sports and music including motocross events, surfing and skateboarding.
- W Network. A subscription allows for all 12 live pay-per-view wrestling events along with original television shows and 1,500 hours of on-demand content.
- UFC TV. You can see live fights as well as recent events from their sports library.
- Bloomberg TV. A free channel that reports on news in business, technology and finance.
- WSJ Live. Supplies current stories on business, international and financial news.
- YouTube. Allows you to watch all YouTube videos on your full screen television.
- Crackle. A free channel with TV programs, movies and anime streamed through your Apple TV box.
- Daily Motion. This is a video sharing platform where you can see original content from independent producers.
- Vevo. Live streams concerts and shows the latest music videos.
- Qello TV. An all-access subscription allows you to view concert films and music documentaries.
- Vimeo. Amateur video creators use this platform to showcase their independent films and music videos.
- Flickr. See all of your personal photographs on the big screen and explore others in the community.
- Crunchyroll. Subscribers can view the latest anime from Japan in HD one hour after it airs.
- KOR TV. A monthly subscription gives you access to popular Korean TV shows, movies, music videos and music.
As much as Apple TV is able to offer, it is losing its place in the market as smaller devices with more features are being introduced. It is expected that a newer version will be released in the spring of 2015, but the details as to what kind of upgrades will be made have not yet been revealed.
Why is video streaming important?
Streaming is one technique used for the transfer of data over the Internet. Unlike syncing, streaming allows movies and TV shows to be viewed as a steady flow of image and sound as opposed to it being stalled as you watch. The video is sent by the service provider in a compressed form and then seen by the viewer in real time. There is no need to wait for the file to be downloaded onto the computer.
In order for streaming to work, you must have a player such as the Apple TV box, which is specially designed to uncompress the data and send it to the display media. You also need to have a high speed Internet connection to avoid delays from the sender. When the data is transmitted too quickly, Apple TV simply stores it temporarily until the program you are watching catches up.Back to top
How do I use a coupon code or voucher with Apple TV?
While the cost of using the Apple TV is free, some of the subscriptions and apps do require a monthly fee. If you have a coupon code or voucher for one of the providers and would like to use it to obtain a discount, simply enter it during checkout. As your total is tallied you should see a box prompting you to enter a code. Just follow the directions to receive your discount on the subscription, television show or movie you are ordering.
In 2007 Apple Computers released their first version of Apple TV. These were 40 GB hard disk models that were quickly replaced by a 160 GB version just two months later. Since then it has gone through two more upgrades, the first being a smaller box that made use of an 8 GB flash storage instead of a hard drive. This allowed for streaming of video instead of syncing. The latest version introduced in 2012 includes an A5 processor giving it more functionality as an internet TV device.
Frequently asked questions
For first time users of Internet TV and the Apple console, there may be some questions about how it works and the features available. The following is a list of some of the more commonly asked questions:
Does a TV need to be wireless in order for Apple TV to work?
You have two options with Apple TV. It can be connected by HDMI to your television and use your home’s Wi-Fi, or you can directly connect it using an Ethernet cable. If you want to AirPlay videos or other content from a handheld device to your Apple TV you will have to have it Wi-Fi connected.
What do I do if my television’s HDMI ports are full?
You can purchase an HDMI hub with multiple ports for your television. This will not affect the viewing quality of the Apple TV.
Can you use a DVR player with Apple TV?
There is no need for recording devices with Apple TV. The programs available can be accessed whenever you want.
Will I need an app to control the Apple TV from an iPhone?
The Apple Remote app is free at the app store and allows you to access your Apple account. From there you can navigate through the operating system of the Apple TV.
Do you pay a monthly fee with Apple TV?
Apple TV does not charge a monthly fee, but some of the apps and subscription services charge monthly fees for their use. Check for any coupons or vouchers to see if you can obtain a discount on these.
Can one Apple TV be used for two televisions?
Yes, with an HDMI splitter connected to the Apple TV.
Can the Apple TV be connected to another television?
Yes, there are no restrictions on moving the Apple TV from one television to another.
Does the Apple TV need to be next to the television?
No, you can place your Apple TV anywhere that the HDMI cable allows you. Just keep in mind that the front must be visible in order for the remote control to work.
Can I browse the internet on my television using Apple TV?
Apple TV is not equipped with a browser, but if you own an iMac or Macbook you can use AirPlay to cast what you are doing online through the Apple TV and onto your television. With this option, you can effectively watch anything you find online on your television set.
Does Apple TV make it unnecessary to have a local cable service?
This depends on what you watch and the types of subscriptions you order. You may not be able to see local live news with Apple TV depending on what is available where you live.
Is there a renewal fee with the Apple TV?
No, this is a one-time purchase that does not need to be renewed.
Can I set up more than one iTunes account for an Apple TV?
Yes, in settings you will have the option to set-up and use different iTunes accounts.
Apple TV revolutionised streaming videos over the Internet. This device offers programming that your local cable provider may not be able to provide. Before you choose to purchase an Apple TV, look closely at the channels it is able to access to ensure that you are going to have a variety of your favourite movies and television series.