Send money to Panama
Find out how you can save money and enjoy fast transfers when you send money to Panama from Australia.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
Panama plays a key role in Central America with its positioning that allows trade to be connected between South and Northern America, as well as the Pacific and Atlantic oceans. Much of Panama’s consistently high annual GDP (above 6%) is made from tolls allocated to these connecting ports, but commerce, banking, and tourism are major and growing sectors. It is one of the countries that has benefitedd from development assistance from Australia, which saw Australia provide A$100 million in funds, and a further trade investment of A$242 million. Panama is one of the Central and South American countries that falls within the operations of the Council on Australia Latin America Relations (COALAR).
- Send money online within minutes
- Large range of destinations
- Able to send to cash pickup locations
Send money to Panama with WorldRemit
Send money to 110+ countries for bank deposit, instant e-wallet, mobile top-up or cash pickup at 30,000+ agent locations worldwide.
- Minimum transfer amount: $1
- Maximum transfer amount: $50,000
- Online transfer fee: $3.99
- Cash pick up available.
What's in this guide?
- Compare Money Transfer Services
- How did Shanade compare money transfer companies when transferring money between Panama and Australia?
- How will you send money to Panama from Australia?
- Can Shanade receive money in the form of capital gains from Panama in Australia?
- Emergency cash transfers options to Panama
- Cash pickup locations in Panama using MoneyGram, Western Union and Xpress Money
- Western Union
- Read these tips before you pick up cash transfers in Panama
- What are the steps to send money to Panama?
Compare Money Transfer Services
This council focuses on increased economic opportunities between Australia and countries like Panama and includes education, corporate growth, and social relations. Total imported and exported services trades between the countries came in at A$55 million in 2015.
Money transfer companies as by case study investor, Shanade
Shanade is an investor from Melbourne, Australia, that has recently been contacted by a group of investors in Panama. Part of her feasibility analysis of the opportunity is to make sure she will not lose massive amounts of money in the process of sending capital through Panama. She has gone ahead and made some comparisons with available companies that will send money to Panama. She could only do comparisons in USD that is supported in Panama and used an amount of 1,000 AUD to evaluate the differences in transfer cost.
|Money transfer company A||Money transfer company B|
|Exchange rate||1 AUD = 0.682506 USD||1 AUD = 0.68410 USD|
|Transfer fee||60 AUD||Free|
|Amount of USD received in Panama for 1,000 AUD||682.51 USD||684.10 USD|
|Transfer time||10 Minutes||n/a|
|Transfer options||Online, phone, agent||Online, bank to bank|
|Difference in X||- 1,59 USD||+ 1.59 USD|
How did Shanade compare money transfer companies when transferring money between Panama and Australia?
- Exchange rates. Because Panama supports both its own currency, the PAB, and the USD, it can be tricky to compare exchange rates. You can either compare directly to the PAB or with USD and then an exchange bureau to see which will give you the best value for your money.
- Pickup methods. Pickup methods range from cash pickups in main cities, at agent locations or other accessible physical addresses. Where supported, a transfer to bank accounts is also possible.
- Fees. The fees range from free to 70 AUD and can be influenced by variations like turnaround time, delivery method and recipient locations.
- Bank to bank benefits. The bank to bank benefits to explore will require a visit to HSBC and Citibank.
- Turnaround time. For cash transfers, the turnaround time can be minutes, and for normal transfers, it can take up five working days.
- Transfer methods. Transfer methods include online, account, phone and agent locations.
- Transfer options. With a company like Compass Global Markets, you can do once-off payments, regular payments, forwarded contracts and market orders.
- Minimum and maximum transfer amounts. It will be important for someone like Shanade to not be limited in maximums when it comes to sending or receiving capital.
- Customer service. If the transfers are to be done on regular schedule, customer service needs to be given special attention as a source of great comfort when you have surety in it. Look for robust phone and email support lines.
How will you send money to Panama from Australia?
Money transfer services
You can use the following services to send the PAB currency to Panama: Compass Global Markets, MoneyGram, Western Union and Xpress Money. It should be noted though, that Panama also works with the USD and, therefore, many services can be used to send the USD.
Citibank and HSBC both have a reach that extends to branches into Panama. Visit your nearest branch to see whether you can do a bank to bank transfer to a branch in Panama. Most banks in the world also support the USD that can be used in Panama. You will need to visit your local bank to verify whether you can send USD to a bank account in Panama to be used there.Back to top
Can Shanade receive money in the form of capital gains from Panama in Australia?
- Money transfer services - The same company can be used to send money to Australia from Panama by visiting an agent location. This will exclude Xpress Money.
- Banks - You can find out from local banks that can send money overseas or go to a HSBC or Citibank to see whether they can send money out and not only receive it.
Emergency cash transfers options to Panama
Emergency cash transfers can be done using the services described above, except for Compass Global Markets. MoneyGram, Western Union and Xpress Money are all companies that can send a cash transfer within minutes and make for great emergency cash options. Please take note that these companies send the money in USD and if PAB currency is required, choose a location below that is close to a local exchange bureau with the correct currency availability.
Cash pickup locations in Panama using MoneyGram, Western Union and Xpress Money
- Centro Agropecuario De Chepo Epago - Xtra VacamonteEdificio Plaza XtraVia Iteramericana, Panama3171239Monday to Saturday, 8am to 8pm, Sunday, 12am to 12am
- Casa De Cambios Del Caribe Calle 11 Santa Isabel Edif. 8060 Local 1, Panama4333680Monday to Saturday, 8am to 2:30pm, Sunday, 12am to 12am
- Italtransfer - Colon Local 17, Amador, Colon9520010000Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, Saturday and Sunday, 8am to 6pm
- Centro Agropecuario De Chepo Centro Comercial La Primavera, ChepoPanama, Panama 507+507-296-8795Monday to Saturday, 7:30am to 4pm, Sunday, 10am to 2pm
- Credicorp Albrook Mall Centro Comercial Albrook MallPanama, Panama+507-3147408Monday to Friday, 10am to 5pm, Saturday, 10am to 1:30pm, Sunday, closed
- MMD Calidonia Calle 21 De Enero Antiguea HieleriaCalidonia, Panama, Panama+507-2273411Monday to Sunday, 8am to 10pm
Read these tips before you pick up cash transfers in Panama
Anyone visiting Panama is cautioned to move with high degrees of safety measures and attention to personal safety. When going to pick up a cash transfer, go with a fellow associate, friend or family member if possible. Keep your personal belongings safe and especially take care with bags that carry your tracking or reference numbers, receipts and ID.Back to top
What are the steps to send money to Panama?
What do you need to do to send a bank to bank transfer
- Visit the branch to find out if you can send money to the same bank in a different country which in this case is HSBC or Citibank
- Open an account in Panama with the relevant bank or have the details of the bank account of the recipient
- You will require branch details or SWIFT BIC details in many cases
- Correct amounts and currencies
How to send money using the money transfer services
- You will either need the bank details of the recipient as stated above or the physical address (this can be a home or office address in a supported region or an agent location)
- The basic details of the person receiving the money, in which cases a photo ID is always safe to have as well
- Correct amounts and currency (although most services will send USD in this instance)
More guides on Finder
Money Transfer Finder®
Our picks for the best ways to send money internationally.
How to open a USD account in Australia
Find out how you can send and receive payments in USD in Australia with a multi-currency account.
TransferWise account for ecommerce sellers review
Receive your money without fees and convert currencies at a low cost with TransferWise's ecommerce product.
How to receive an international transfer with Commonwealth Bank
Find out how to receive international payments to a Commonwealth Bank account.
Review: WireBarley international money transfers
If you’re thinking of sending an international money transfer with WireBarley, check out our review of its exchange rates, fees and pros and cons.
WorldRemit promo codes and discounts October 2020
Use our promo codes to save when you send money with WorldRemit.
Review: Send international money transfers
If you’re thinking of transferring money overseas with Send, make sure you check out our review of its exchange rates, fees and transfer speed first.
InstaReM vs TransferWise
Find out how two popular international money transfer services, InstaReM and TransferWise, compare to each other.
Review: RedRate foreign currency exchange
If you’re looking to purchase travel money, check out our review of the foreign currency exchange services offered by RedRate.
DBS Bank exchange rates
If you're thinking about making a money transfer with DBS Bank, check out what exchange rates are being offered and what currencies you can send.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
Send money overseas in 30+ currencies with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
SendFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. T&Cs apply.
Fee-free transfers in 30+ currencies to over 200 countries.
Better exchange rates for Finder customers.
Send 60+ currencies at competitive rates and no fees. If you find a better eligible quote, WorldFirst will beat it.
Ask an Expert