Send money to the Maldives
Safe, secure and cost-effective transfer options when you need to send money to the Maldives.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The Maldives is a country known by many for its pristine holiday resorts and relaxing getaway opportunities. With such a powerful hospitality service based industry, it might come as a surprise to many that this island based country actually delivers a middle to upper-class income status.
This small nation shares membership with Australia in the Commonwealth. Maldives isn’t just a pretty ‘face’, but also produces an impressive fishing sector that accounts for about 15% of its annual GDP.
Australia and the Maldives have a positive track record and growing bilateral economic relations in trade, security, education and development opportunities. The trade between the countries has been consistent for a couple of years and latest reports show a total import and export trade value of over A$36 million.
Send money to Maldives with WorldRemit
Send money to 110+ countries for bank deposit, instant e-wallet, mobile top-up or cash pickup at 30,000+ agent locations worldwide.
- Send money online within minutes
- Large range of destinations
- Able to send to cash pickup locations
What's in this guide?
- Compare Money Transfer Services
- How do I compare transfer companies when transferring money between the Maldives and Australia?
- How and what do I use to send and receive money between the Maldives and Australia?
- Emergency cash transfer options to the Maldives
- Cash pickup locations in Malé, Maldives, using MoneyGram and Western Union
- Tips for picking up cash in the Malé, Maldives
- What are the steps to send money to the Maldives?
Compare Money Transfer Services
The two countries also have a total of A$33 million trade in imported and exported services. Australia assists the Maldives in development cooperation to improve human development.
Learn how Hassan compared different money transfer companies to send money to the Maldives
Hassan is one of the 330 students from the Maldives that received a long-term scholarship to study in Australia. Hassan’s parents were unable to pay his school fees by the time he reached secondary school and took out several study loans to further fund his education as a bright young student.
After he won the scholarship based on his academic reports, Hassan completed his studies in Australia and has since then become a successful actuarial scientist.
He is now in a position where he can pay back the study loans that put pressure on his parents. He studies different alternatives for sending money to his parents on a regular basis and concludes with the information below using a comparison amount of 1,000 AUD.
|Money transfer company A||Money transfer company B|
|Exchange rate||1 AUD = 10.7227 MVR||1 AUD = 10.639406 MVR|
|Transfer fee||70 AUD||60 AUD|
|Amount of MVR received in Maldives for 1,000 AUD||10,722.74 MVR||10,639.41 MVR|
|Transfer options||Phone, Online, Agent||Phone, Online, Agent|
|Difference in MVR||+ 83.33 AUD||-83.33 AUD|
How do I compare transfer companies when transferring money between the Maldives and Australia?
- Exchange rates. Exchange rates are fairly consistent among available companies. It can, however, change quite quickly as most of the data is real time data. It is therefore a good idea to compare exchange rates as close as possible to the time when you will be using this service.
- Pickup methods. Available companies used for money transfer service are well known for cash pickups at agent locations, but also allow cash transfers to be made to a recipient's physical location or bank account.
- Fees. Due to its limited accessibility in infrastructure and geography, the Maldives usually requires a higher fee for sending money.
- Bank to bank benefits. Since Citibank is the only known available bank that supports the MVR currency, there are no clear indicators of bank to bank benefits.
- Turnaround time. When using MoneyGram and Western Union, expected turnaround times are generally around 10 minutes, but availability of the correct amount in the available currency will also play a role on how quickly money can be received.
- Transfer methods. Transfer methods include up to online transfers, in-branch transfers, cash pickup, to a bank account and to a mobile phone with some of the companies available and for others it is limited to online transfers, phone transfers, agent transfers and bank account to bank account transfers.
- Transfer options. Transfer options include regular payments and once off payments.
- Minimum and maximum transfer amounts. Transfer amounts for Citibank are as low as 0 AUD and as high as 10,000 AUD. Western Union international money transfers must be a minimum of at least 10 AUD, while you’ll need to visit a branch if you want to transfer an amount greater than 5,000 AUD.
- Customer service. Customer service will be the true differentiator in a case like this, where the options in available services are limited. The available companies have proven track records of customer service through email, phone and branch.
How and what do I use to send and receive money between the Maldives and Australia?
Money transfer services
You can rely on services from MoneyGram and Western Union when sending money to the Maldives. Both companies have years of experience in international money transfers and allow for various methods of money transfer with quick transfer times. To send money to Australia, simply visit an agent location with the correct currency and cash and provide your recipient’s details.
Citibank supports the MVR currency but you will need to verify whether your personal account with them allows for money transfers to the Maldives. Visit a branch near you to get advice on how you can send money to a location or bank account in the Maldives.Back to top
Emergency cash transfer options to the Maldives
Emergency transfers might not be the highest item on Hassan’s priority list when sending money to pay back his study loans.
But, one never knows when an unexpected amount might come up or when his parents hit a rough patch. Fortunately, the same MoneyGram and Western Union services he will use as standard ways to send money will be his go-to sources for sending cash emergency transfers.
Cash pickup locations in Malé, Maldives, using MoneyGram and Western Union
- Sirius Financial Services Pvt Ltd
M Dhiyaneru Fandiyaaru Magu
Monday to Sunday, 24 hours
- Sirius Financial Services Pvt Ltd
H Blueshafa Lonuziyaaraiy Magu
Saturday to Thursday 9am to 10pm,Saturday 2pm to 10pm
- Mauritius Commercial Bank Ltd - #1 - MA
H.Sifa Building, Boduthakurufaanu Magu, Malé, Maldives
Monday to Thursday 8am to 5:30pm,
Friday and Sunday 12am to 5:30pm
Saturday 8:30am to 2:30pm
- Maldives Post Limited - #1000003
Hulhumale’d Block, Male, 0
Monday to Thursday 9:30am to 5pm
Friday 3am to 8pm, Saturday 12am to 12am
Sunday 9am to 5pm
Tips for picking up cash in the Malé, Maldives
The Maldives are classified as a safe destination for tourists, but political unrest since 2016 has seen an increase in petty crimes and violent protests.
If you are in an area near such disturbances, consider picking up the cash on an alternative date or making sure you choose a pickup location that is removed from known disturbed areas. There are safety measures in place to protect foreign visitors that makes moving around in well-known areas in Malé pretty safe.
It is always a good idea to take along a companion when picking up cash in any country so do your best not be alone when picking up your cash at a MoneyGram or Western Union agent location.
What are the steps to send money to the Maldives?
If you want to send money to a recipient’s bank account in the Maldives, you will need to provide the following details of the recipient and their bank:
- The bank name of the location in the Maldives or areas such Malé or Addu City
- Basic beneficiary or recipient details
- The recipient’s account number at the bank
- SWIFT / BIC details
- The correct amounts and currency
You will need the following details when sending money for a cash pickup:
- The address of the recipient (most probably only in Malé) or the address of the agent for pickup
- Basic details of the person picking up the cash
- The correct amount and currency that you are sending to the Maldives
What will you need when you are at a MoneyGram or Western Union branch in Malé, Maldives to pick up the cash?
- Your photo ID or other form of government issued ID
- The tracking or reference number (called an MTCN by Western Union)
- Copy of the transaction receipt as extra proof in cases of identity theft
More guides on Finder
Sending money internationally during the coronavirus pandemic
Learn about how COVID-19 may affect the ways you transfer cash around the world.
Western Union vs MoneyGram
To find the best rate for your next money transfer, check out our comparison of the fees, exchange rates and transfer speeds of Western Union and MoneyGram.
Best international money transfer companies
If you're looking to transfer money out of Australia, read our guide on the four best transfer companies.
Sites like Remitly
Browse sites like Remitly to see if you can send send money overseas faster and cheaper.
Review: Send international money transfers
If you’re thinking of transferring money overseas with Send, make sure you check out our review of its exchange rates, fees and transfer speed first.
Xoom vs Western Union
Compare Xoom and Western Union side-by-side for speed, value, safety and extra features.
Alternatives to Azimo
Whether you want a cheaper, faster or more flexible money transfer, compare these alternatives to Azimo for your next international transfer.
Western Union vs PayPal money transfers
We compare Western Union and PayPal to see how much money transfers at each cost and which is faster.
MoneyGram promo codes and discounts
Check out the latest MoneyGram discounts and offers to save on your next international money transfer.
Review: Unimoni international money transfers
Find out how Unimoni’s exchange rates and fees stack up against the competition to make sure you’re getting a good deal on your next transfer.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
Azimo sends money directly to a bank account or over 280,000 cash pick-up points. It also has fast transfers to 50+ countries.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
TorFX sends money overseas in 30+ currencies, with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
Send guarantees to match any competitor’s exchange rate. T&Cs apply.
Fee-free transfers in 30+ currencies to over 200 countries.
Better exchange rates for Finder customers.
WorldFirst sends 60+ currencies at competitive rates with no fees. If you find a better eligible quote, WorldFirst will beat it.
Ask an Expert