Send money to Liberia
How to send a fast, secure and affordable money transfer to Liberia from Australia.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The West African nation of Liberia is the continent’s first and oldest republic. The country is known for its rare wildlife and its civil wars of the 1990s, with a significant portion of the country’s population living below the international poverty line.
If you want to send money from Australia to a friend or loved one in Liberia, make sure that you shop around to find a secure and affordable transfer option. If you don’t compare your transfer options before you send your funds, your transaction could end up costing a whole lot more than it needs to.
Send money to Liberia with WorldRemit
Send money to 110+ countries for bank deposit, instant e-wallet, mobile top-up or cash pickup at 30,000+ agent locations worldwide.
- Send money online within minutes
- Large range of destinations
- Able to send to cash pickup locations
What's in this guide?
- Compare money transfer services
- Banks versus money transfer companies
- How do I compare transfer companies when transferring and receiving money via Liberia?
- How do I send money to Liberia from Australia?
- How do I receive money from Liberia in Australia?
- Emergency cash transfers in Liberia
- Cash pickup locations in Liberia/ Western Union/ MoneyGram branches in Liberia
- Tips for picking up cash in Liberia
- What are the steps to send money to Liberia?
Compare money transfer services
Banks versus money transfer companies
Unfortunately, most Australian banks don’t offer international money transfers to Liberia, in part due to political instability in the country in previous years and also due to Liberia’s association with the blood diamond trade – check with your bank for a list of approved transfer destinations. In any case, banks don’t offer a very affordable option when you need to send money overseas, as you’ll need to contend with their poor exchange rates and high transfer fees.
A much more affordable money transfer option is available from specialist money transfer companies. These providers, which usually offer fast online transfers, have far superior exchange rates to those offered by banks and also tend to charge lower fees. However, you’ll need to shop around to see which companies will allow you to send money from Australia to Liberia.
Tony Sends Money to Liberia
Tony wants to send money to his sister Janine, who is completing a schedule of volunteer work in Liberia but has unexpectedly spent all her money. His bank doesn’t offer transfers to Liberia, so Tony seeks out two cash pick-up transfer companies to see which one offers the best deal when transferring $1,000 from Australia to Liberia.
As you can see from the table below, Tony must send US Dollars and can send an extra USD $1.33 using the first company. However, because the second transfer company charges AUD $15 less in transfer fees, it represents the most affordable option.
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Exchange rate||1 AUD = 0.69345 USD||1 AUD = 0.69212|
|Transfer method||Cash pickup transfer||Cash pickup transfer|
|Processing time||10 minutes||10 minutes|
|Amount received (in USD)||$693.45||$692.12|
How do I compare transfer companies when transferring and receiving money via Liberia?
- Exchange rates. Even a minor difference in exchange rates can make a huge difference to the amount your beneficiary receives, so look for the company that consistently offers top-notch exchange rates.
- Transfer time. Transfer times can range from a few minutes to several working days, so make sure your company can complete transfers within a suitable time frame for your needs.
- Minimum transfer amounts. Are there limits on the minimum and maximum amount you can transfer? If so, will those limits inconvenience you?
- Pickup options. Does the company offer bank account transfers, cash pickup transfers or mobile airtime transfers?
- Customer service. Make sure that you will be able to easily access customer assistance if you ever experience a problem with a transaction.
How do I send money to Liberia from Australia?
- Specialist money transfer providers. Start researching today to check whether any specialist transfer companies offer transfers to Liberia. WorldRemit is one company that offers mobile airtime transfers.
- Cash pickup transfer companies. Western Union and MoneyGram both offer this service.
- Bank transfers. Check with your bank to see whether it offers international transfers to Liberia.
- International cheques. Another transfer option is to obtain an international cheque from your bank and then post it to your recipient.
How do I receive money from Liberia in Australia?
- Specialist money transfer providers. Compare a range of options to see which providers offer affordable transfers from Liberia to Australia.
- Cash pickup transfer companies. Your choice of cash pickup transfer provider will be influenced by which company has a pickup location close to you.
- Bank transfers. Another option you may like to explore is a bank transfer from Liberia to Australia.
- International cheques. Ask your bank about all the fees and charges associated with international cheques.
Emergency cash transfers in Liberia
Companies such as Western Union and MoneyGram can help you send urgent cash transfers from Australia to Liberia in as little as tenminutes. However, be aware of the fact that emergency transfers come at a higher premium than ordinary transactions. Poor exchange rates and high transaction fees are the norm, so it’s important to review the cost of your transaction before agreeing to it.
Cash pickup locations in Liberia/ Western Union/ MoneyGram branches in Liberia
Western Union and MoneyGram both offer fast and convenient cash transfers to locations all over the world, and you can see the details of some of their popular cash pickup spots in Liberia listed below. Make sure that your recipient has a valid form of photo ID and a transaction reference number when they go to collect funds, while phoning ahead to confirm opening hours could also be beneficial.
- Afriland First Bank Liberia
Broad Street, Crown Hill
1000 Monrovia, 10 Liberia Monrovia,
Montserrado County P.O. BOX 1935
Open 8am to 6pm Monday to Saturday
- Aminata Chocolate
Garnesville City Monrovia,
Open 8:30am to 7pm Monday to Friday, 9am to 7pm Saturday
- Guaranty Trust Bank Liberia
Tubman Street Buchanan,
Open 8:30am to 4pm Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 2pm Saturday
Grand Bassa County, Buchanan
Main Street Buchanan, 547 +231-6529755
Open 8:30am to 4pm Monday to Friday, 9am to 2pm Saturday
Open 8am to 5pm Monday to Saturday
- United Bank for Africa
Open 9am to 2pm Monday to Friday
Open 8am to 5pm Monday to Saturday
- Global Bank
Grand Bassa County
Open 8:30am to 6pm Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 2:30pm Saturday
Tips for picking up cash in Liberia
Australian visitors to Liberia are warned to exercise a high degree of caution by the Australian Government’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, so it pays to take care when picking up cash from a transfer agent. Only visit cash pick-up locations in safe areas and avoid picking up funds at night if you can. Take a friend along with you to deter any would-be thieves and make sure that you don’t carry the money around in public for any longer than is strictly necessary.Back to top
What are the steps to send money to Liberia?
You will usually need to complete the following steps when you want to send money to Liberia:
- Sign up for an account. Most providers make it possible to sign up for a free account online, but in some cases you may have to visit a branch.
- Provide your transaction information. The next step is to provide details about where you are sending the money, how much money you are sending and in what currency.
- Review and pay. Finally, it’s time to check over the exchange rate and fee that apply to the transfer and then pay for your transaction. Most companies offer online tracking services and email/SMS notifications so you know when your transfer is complete.
More guides on Finder
Amazon Prime Day 2021: Don’t miss these deals on 21 June
Amazon Prime Day is returning to Australia in the first half of 2021. Here are six online deals you need to know about.
How to buy TitanSwap (TITAN) in Australia
This guide will show you step-by-step instructions on how to buy the TitanSwap (TITAN) token as well as a list of exchanges you can trade it on.
Canterbury Bulldogs vs St George Illawarra Dragons NRL: Start time and watch free
The one-win Bulldogs return after a bye, hopefully refreshed and ready to meet the Dragons.
NSW first home owners tax reform offers 25K grants
First home buyers in NSW could be given up to $25,000 towards their first home purchase – find out if you're eligible.
24 PlayStation 5 consoles are up for grabs this long weekend
eBay is giving away 24 PlayStation 5 prize packs this long weekend - here's how to enter.
Does anyone actually need Twitter Blue?
Here's everything included in Twitter Blue and how much it costs.
How to watch UFC 263 Adesanya vs Vettori 2 live in Australia
Undisputed champion Israel Adesanya is ready for his long-awaited rematch against Marvin Vettori in Arizona.
HBO Max Gossip Girl reboot: new trailer drops ahead of Australian broadcast
An updated version of Gossip Girl is coming our way – and it looks too good to miss.
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 50% off 4K TVs, $200 off Dyson vacuum cleaners, win $10,000 with Optus.
Paul Gallen vs Justis Huni: Fight time and how to watch live online
Undefeated heavyweight Justis Huni and former NRL star Paul Gallen are ready for battle as Termination Day approaches.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
Azimo sends money directly to a bank account or over 280,000 cash pick-up points. It also has fast transfers to 50+ countries.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
TorFX sends money overseas in 30+ currencies, with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
Better exchange rates for Finder customers.
WorldFirst sends 60+ currencies at competitive rates. If you find a better eligible quote, WorldFirst will beat it.
Send guarantees to match any competitor’s exchange rate. T&Cs apply.
Send provides fee-free transfers via its 24/7 multi-currency payments platform with real-time quotes.
Ask an Expert