Enjoy a speedy and convenient funds transfer and send money abroad to family and friends 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Instead of using the traditional international funds transfer method and sending money overseas via your bank, there’s now a faster, cheaper and more convenient way to transfer money abroad. Online money transfer providers allow you to send money overseas without having to leave home, and they can often do it with better exchange rates and lower fees than the banks.
But not all companies will offer the same value for money as others, so it’s important that you shop around and compare companies before choosing one to handle your next international payment.
How does sending money overseas online 24/7 work?
Whether you need to offer financial support to family or friends, make a one-off purchase or even pay off a debt in instalments, there are several reasons why you might need to send money overseas. To send an online transfer, you will usually need to sign up for a free account with a provider that offers this service, such as Australia Post, OFX, Travelex or MoneyGram.
Once you’ve created an account you can then provide some details about your transfer: how much money you’re transferring and in what currency, where you’re sending it and how your beneficiary will access the funds. Next, you’ll be given a transaction quote detailing the exchange rate and fee that will apply to your transfer. If you’re happy with the cost of the transfer you can accept the terms and pay the necessary funds to the transfer company.
The transfer provider will then convert your Australian Dollars into the currency you are transferring at the rate quoted, and the money will then be sent to your recipient. Some providers offer cash pickup transfers while others also offer the option of depositing the funds in your recipient’s bank account.Back to top
How do I compare online money transfer services?
You’ll need to assess the following factors when comparing money transfer companies:
- Exchange rates. Finding the best exchange rate is crucial to getting a good deal, so spend a bit of time comparing the exchange rates on offer from different providers. Look for the company that always offers the best rates, but don’t forget to check whether those rates come with high fees attached.
- Transfer fees. Make sure you’re aware of all the fees that will apply to your transfers before you commit to any transaction. Fees can range from a few dollars to $50 or more, so shopping around can save you plenty of money.
- Supported currencies. Does the company allow you to send funds in the currency you need to transfer?
- Transfer options. Keep in mind that some providers offer a range of flexible options beyond simply sending a one-off spot transfer. For example, limit orders and forward contracts can be used to help you get the exchange rate you want, while regular payment plans provide added convenience.
- Processing times. How long will it take for the funds you send to arrive to your recipient?
- Pickup options. Will the funds you send be made available as cash for your recipient to collect or sent straight to their bank account? Does the company offer just one of these options or both?
- Transfer limits. Consider whether any minimum or maximum transfer limits apply and whether or not they suit you.
- Customer support options. Check to see how customer support is offered - phone, email, live online chat - and whether or not you can access it 24/7.
What are the pros and cons of sending money online 24/7?
- Convenient. Many providers let you place transfers at any time and you can do so from the comfort of your home.
- Fast and affordable. Online money transfer companies offer speedy transaction processing times and offer better exchange rates and lower fees than the banks.
- Choice. There are multiple companies that offer online money transfers 24/7, allowing you the flexibility to shop around for the best deal.
- Online only. If you’re worried about the security of sending money online and would prefer to deal with a company face to face, this may not be the best transfer option for you.
What are the risks?
The biggest risk associated with sending money overseas online is not shopping around for a better deal. The cost of sending an international money transfer can differ substantially between providers, so spending a little bit of time doing a quick comparison can ensure that you do your wallet a huge favour.
Another important point to consider is that the transfer provider that offers the best deal for transactions to one country may not be the number-one pick for transfers to another. Exchange rates, transfer fees and processing times can all vary, so don’t be afraid to regularly compare your options.
Frequently asked questions
How can I track the progress of a transfer?
You will usually be given a tracking or reference number that you can use to check up on the progress of your funds online.
Can I send cash transfers?
Yes, there are multiple companies that allow you to send funds for cash pickup, such as Western Union and MoneyGram.
Where can I send money?
The list of potential transfer destinations varies depending on the provider you choose. Some offer transfers to a few select destinations, while others allow you to send funds to more than 200 countries and territories.