Find the best exchange rate and save money when your business pays the bills with an international money transfer.
To maximise profits and the potential of your business, sometimes you need to look outside of Australia to find the best services. From IT consultants and accountants to lawyers and public relations firms, in some cases the best advice for your business can be found overseas.
Compare some of Australia's best money transfer exchange rates
*The offers compared on this page are chosen from a range of products finder.com.au has access to track details from and is not representative of all the products available in the market. Products are displayed in no particular order or ranking. The use of terms "Best" and "Top" are not product ratings and are subject to our disclaimer. You should consider seeking independent financial advice and consider your personal financial circumstances when comparing products.
Can’t find what you’re looking for? Have a TorFX currency expert contact you for free
See exchange rate updates in real-time
|1 USD =||1.0000||1.2797 Inverse: 0.7815||1.2681 Inverse: 0.7886||0.8136 Inverse: 1.2291||6.3376 Inverse: 0.1578||0.7160 Inverse: 1.3966||64.8917 Inverse: 0.0154||18.5624 Inverse: 0.0539||51.7950 Inverse: 0.0193|
|1 AUD =||0.7815 Inverse: 1.2797||1.0000||0.9910 Inverse: 1.0091||0.6358 Inverse: 1.5728||4.9526 Inverse: 0.2019||0.5595 Inverse: 1.7872||50.7102 Inverse: 0.0197||14.5058 Inverse: 0.0689||40.4757 Inverse: 0.0247|
|1 EUR =||1.2291 Inverse: 0.8136||1.5728 Inverse: 0.6358||1.5586 Inverse: 0.6416||1.0000||7.7896 Inverse: 0.1284||0.8801 Inverse: 1.1363||79.7588 Inverse: 0.0125||22.8152 Inverse: 0.0438||63.6616 Inverse: 0.0157|
|1 GBP =||1.3966 Inverse: 0.7160||1.7872 Inverse: 0.5595||1.7711 Inverse: 0.5646||1.1363 Inverse: 0.8801||8.8513 Inverse: 0.1130||1.0000||90.6296 Inverse: 0.0110||25.9248 Inverse: 0.0386||72.3385 Inverse: 0.0138|
But if you do enlist professional services from an overseas firm, finding the most affordable way to pay for those services is crucial to your bottom line. Read on to find out how your business could save thousands of dollars by using the right international money transfer provider to help pay your overseas bills.
What professional services do businesses often source internationally?
Australian businesses often look overseas to source a wide range of professional services including:
- Tax advisers
- Graphic designers
- IT consultants
- Investment managers
- Management consultants
- Public relations
- Recruiting services
- Software programmers
- Web designers
This is far from an exhaustive list. Depending on the nature of your business, there are plenty of other professional services you may need to source from outside of Australia.
How to pay for professional services from overseas
One of the downsides of hiring professional services from overseas is that paying for those services can come with an additional expense. Whenever you send money overseas there are two costs you need to consider:
- The exchange rate. This rate reflects the value of the Australian Dollar (AUD) against the local currency of the country where you’re transferring funds. International transfer providers turn a profit by adding a margin on top of the mid-market exchange rate before selling foreign currency on to you.
- The transfer fee. Many providers require you to pay an additional transaction fee before you can send money overseas. In most cases this is a flat fee, but some providers will charge this fee as a percentage of your total transfer amount.
Unless you know how to find an international money transfer provider that offers a fair exchange rate and low transfer fees, sending money overseas to pay for professional services can leave a big dent in your bottom line.
Banks vs online money transfer providers
Many business owners don’t even think to compare their transfer options when sending money overseas. If you do all your business banking with one particular bank it makes sense that you would use that bank whenever you need to send money overseas.
Unfortunately, banks offer a bad deal for anyone looking to send an international money transfer. Not only do they charge higher transfer fees than many other providers, but they also offer some of the worst exchange rates going around. This can add up to a significant extra cost for your business and could influence your decision of where to source professional services.
However, there’s one simple thing you can do to save money when sending funds overseas: use an online transfer company. These providers are specialists at exchanging foreign currency and their lower margins mean they can offer far superior exchange rates to the banks. Their transfer fees also tend to be lower and are sometimes waived altogether on large transfers.
This can lead to big savings for your business as demonstrated in the case study below.
You may also be interested in
Sending a red packet, or hongbao, to family this Chinese New Year? Here's how you can save. Read more…
Find out how to buy and what to consider first. Read more…
Learn more about Feathercoin and how the cryptocurrency works. Read more…
Convert exchange rates from AUD to other curriencies. Read more…
Live exchange rates featuring the Australian dollar to Dash. Historic exchange rates - Calculate your money transfer to DASH. Read more…
Case study: The importance of comparing
Jeremy’s IT consultancy firm has run up a bill of GBP£10,000 with a UK-based accounting firm. Although Jeremy initially plans to send the necessary money from Australia to the UK via a wire transfer from his business account with a major bank, the exchange rate his bank quotes him is well below the mid-market rate.
Jeremy decides to compare the cost of sending the transfer via his bank with the cost of using a specialist transfer company.
|Bank||Money transfer company|
|Exchange rate||AUD$1 = GBP£0.5392||AUD$1 = GBP£0.5702|
|Total savings (including transaction fees)||AUD$1,021.90|
As you can see, by choosing the higher exchange rate and the lower transfer fee from the money transfer company, Jeremy can save AUD$1,021.90 compared to sending the same amount via his bank.
This shows just how important it is to compare money transfer providers and to shop around for the best exchange rate. Depending on the size of your transaction, even a simple comparison could save you thousands.
How to compare transfer providers
Make sure to consider the following factors when deciding on the right transfer provider to help you pay for overseas professional services:
- Exchange rates. Make sure you compare your options and shop around for the best exchange rate. Also remember that while one provider may regularly offer a great exchange rate on transfers to a particular country, that doesn’t necessarily mean that it will offer the best value for money when you need to send funds elsewhere.
- Transaction fees. In many cases you will need to factor the transaction fee into your calculations when working out the total cost of the transfer. However, some online transfer services waive their fees on large transfer amounts, so it’s worth contacting these providers for information on their fee-free thresholds.
- Forward contracts. Does the provider offer forward contracts, giving you the flexibility to secure an exchange rate today for a transaction that could take place in a few months or even more than a year’s time?
- Limit orders. Check to see whether you can place a limit order, where you nominate the exchange rate that you want for a transfer and then let the provider monitor foreign exchange markets until your rate becomes available. When it does, the transfer is automatically sent.
- Regular payments. Does the provider offer a facility for regular payments? This can help you save time and schedule payments in advance, which is very handy if you have a large bill to pay off or need to make ongoing payments.
- Number of currencies available. How many currencies does the provider allow you to make transfers in? Will you be able to easily send funds to any country where you source professional services?
- Transfer time. It’s vital that all fees for professional services are paid on time, so make sure you know how long it will take for the money you send to make it into your recipient’s account.
- Personal account manager. Does the provider offer a foreign exchange expert to personally manage your account? This can be particularly useful if you ever need to send a sensitive business transaction or if you need personalised assistance.
- Customer support. Make sure you can quickly access customer support (via phone, email, live chat and even an online help centre) if you ever have a question about your account.
By considering all of these critical factors, you’ll be able to find the best transfer provider to help you send an international money transfer to pay for professional services.