Heading on a cruise? Get cover tailored for cruise trips with Insureandgo Cruise Travel Insurance
When you’re heading away on a holiday, no matter where in the world you’re travelling there’s always the potential for something to go wrong. And if you're planning on cruising, many cruise specific risks are present
- Unexpected medical emergencies. An injury could occur, perhaps as you are snorkelling whilst on your cruising, resulting in unavoidable medical fees.
- Cruise delays and cancellations. Your cruise may be delayed by poor weather, or cancelled due to mechanical faults.
- Lost/stolen baggage and personal belongings. Your personal items may be stolen just before your cruise or even during your stay on board.
- Missed port. A cruise may not enter a port due to sever weather, meaning potential costs of lost accommodation.
- Missed cruise departures. A breakdown in the cruise ship may stop the party from departing.
If you do take out specialist cruise travel insurance, you can rest easy in the knowledge that you will receive essential financial protection if anything goes awry during your travels. Remember, even when travelling in Australian waters, Medicare will typically not cover the cost of medical treatment you receive while on a cruise ship, making cruise travel insurance an important investment.
Continue reading this guide or if you are ready for a quote see below:
Receive a quote for InsureandGo Cruise Travel Insurance and apply securely online
What regions do InsureandGo Cruise Travel Insurance policies cover?
InsureandGo Cruise Travel Insurance is issued by the Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Company and is available for individuals, couples and families. It offers plans to provide coverage in the following geographical areas:
- Domestic cruises. This covers travel within Australian territorial waters, as well as in international waters as long as you do not stop at an international port.
- Pacific islands and more. This policy covers you for travel to American Samoa, Cook Islands, Fiji Islands, French Polynesia (including Tahiti), Kiribati, New Caledonia, Niue, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Norfolk Island, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Bali and Lombok.
- Pacific and Domestic. This plan covers cruises to any Pacific destination that also dock at an Australian port.
- Select Asian only cruises. This includes Bangladesh, Birmania, Brunei, Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Laos, Malaysia, Maldives, Nepal, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam are included cover.
- Asia and Domestic. This plan covers cruises to any Asian destination that also dock at an Australian port.
- Worldwide Excluding. Trips to the USA, Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, and Antarctica are excluded from this policy.
- Worldwide Including. The destinations listed in the above policy are all included in this plan’s coverage.
InsureandGo Cruise Travel Insurance is available at three policy levels: Bare Essentials Cruise, Silver Cruise and Gold Cruise.
|Benefits||What am I are covered for?||Bare Essentials Cruise Limits||Silver Cruise Limits||Gold Cruise Limits|
|Cancelling your trip before departure||If you have to cancel your trip due to circumstances beyond your control, such as injury or illness to yourself or a relative, your policy will cover the cost of your unrecoverable travel expenses.||Nil||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Medical and other expenses outside Australia||This benefit covers the cost of emergency ambulance, medical, surgical and hospital costs you incur overseas, as well as medical repatriation if required.||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|In hospital cash benefit||You’ll receive up to $75 per day if you are hospitalised as a result of an injury or illness during your journey.||Nil||$75 per 24 hours up to $2,500||$75 per 24 hours up to $2,500|
|Cabin confinement||This benefit applies when the ship’s medical officer confines you to your cabin for medical reasons.||Nil||$75 per 24 hours up to $2,500||$75 per 24 hours up to $2,500|
|Cutting your trip short||If you need to cut your trip short, for example if you are medically unfit to travel or because you need to return home to visit a sick relative, this benefit covers the cost of your unrecoverable travel expenses.||Nil||$15,000||Unlimited|
|Additional emergency expenses||When you do need to return home earlier than planned, InsureandGo will cover the additional accommodation, meal and travel expenses you incur as a result.||$5,000||$15,000||$50,000|
|Missed cruise departure||If an accident, mechanical breakdown, industrial action or poor weather conditions cause you to miss the departure of your cruise, you’ll be covered for additional accommodation and travel expenses you incur as a result.||$5,000||$15,000||$50,000|
|Resumption of journey||If you make a claim under the ‘cutting your trip short’ section you can receive cover for the cost of resuming your trip at a later date.||Nil||Nil||$3,000|
|Travel delay||If industrial action, poor weather or mechanical breakdown delay your departure from or return to Australia, you’ll be covered for any resulting costs.||Nil||$50 per completed 12 hours up to $1,000||$100 per completed 12 hours up to $2,000|
|Cruise delay||If industrial action, poor weather or mechanical breakdown delay your cruise, you’ll receive a benefit for every 24 hours the cruise is delayed.||Nil||$50 per completed 12 hours up to $1,000||$100 per completed 12 hours up to $2,000|
|Missed port||This benefit provides cover when inclement weather or mechanical breakdown prevents your ship from entering a port.||Nil||$50 per completed 12 hours up to $1,000||$100 per completed 12 hours up to $2,000|
|Personal belongings and baggage||This benefit covers your personal belongings and luggage when they are lost, stolen or damaged during your trip.||$2,000 (cameras, laptops, tablets, etc NOT included)||$6,000 (cameras, laptops, tablets, etc included)||$8,000 (cameras, laptops, tablets, etc not included)|
|Baggage and personal effects before boarding||You can also enjoy cover for lost, stolen or damaged baggage and personal effects up to 72 hours before boarding your cruise.||$2,000||$6,000||$8,000|
|Delayed baggage||You’ll receive a benefit if an airline or transport provider delays your baggage by at least 24 hours.||Nil||$500||$750|
|Baggage delay before boarding||This cover applies for a maximum of 72 hours before you board your cruise.||Nil||$500||$750|
|Passport and travel documents||Lost, stolen and damaged passports, travellers cheques and visas are covered during your trip.||Nil||$25,000||$5,000|
|Money||InsureandGo will cover the cost of your lost or stolen personal money.||Nil||$250||$5,000|
|Personal accident||If you suffer an injury on your trip that leads to your death or permanent disablement, your policy will pay out a lump sum benefit.||Nil||$36,500||$50,000|
|Personal liability||This benefit provides cover if you become legally liable for injuring someone or damaging someone’s property during your trip.||$1,500,000||$2,500,000||$5,000,000|
|Legal expenses||This covers the legal expenses involved in seeking compensation or damages following your death or personal injury as the result of an accident during your journey.||Nil||$10,000||$25,000|
|Hijack||This benefit applies when your sea vessel or aircraft is hijacked for more than 24 hours.||Nil||Nil||$2,500|
|Pet care||If your final journey home is delayed by industrial action, poor weather or mechanical breakdown, you’ll receive cover for the extra costs of accommodating your dog or cat in a boarding kennel or cattery.||Nil||Nil||$600|
|Financial default||InsureandGo also covers you when you are affected by the financial default of a travel services provider.||Nil||$1,000||$1,000|
|Rental vehicle excess waiver||This benefit covers the rental car company insurance excess when your hire vehicle is crashed, stolen or damaged.||Nil||$4,000||$1,000|
|Loss of income||If an injury suffered during your trip leads to you becoming disabled and unable to return to work, you’ll be covered for the resulting loss of income.||Nil||$5,200||$10,400|
|Get quote||Get quote||Get quote|
When won't I be paid?
Claims will not be paid under your InsureandGo Cruise Travel Insurance policy if your claim arrises as a result of:
- Pre-existing conditions. You fail to notify the insurer about a pre-existing medical condition that leads to a claim.
- Due to Suicide. Your claim arises from your suicide, attempted suicide or you deliberately putting yourself in danger.
- Drugs and alcohol. Your claim arises from your use of alcohol or drugs.
- War and war related reasons.Your claim is caused by war, invasion or revolution.
- Civil Unrest. Your claim arises due to civil riots, industrial action etc. that was public knowledge when you booked your trip.
- Ignoring government warnings. You travel to a country not included on the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s list of recommended countries.
- Riding a motorcycle illegally. Your claim arises because you are riding a motorcycle unless you are wearing a helmet, you hold a valid licence in the country you are in, and if riding a bike rated 125cc or higher, and you have a licence to ride an equivalent powered bike in Australia.
- Indirect losses. Your claim is for consequential loss.
- Criminal acts and behaviours. Your claim arises due to your involvement in any deliberate, malicious, criminal or illegal act.
- Manual labour and work. Your claim arises because you take part in any manual labour in connection with a business or trade.
- Government seizure and control. Your claim relates to a government authority seizing, withholding or destroying anything of yours.
General conditions – follow these guidelines to make sure claims go smoothly
- Disclose relevant information. You must inform the insurer of anything which may influence their decision on whether or not to offer you cover.
- Don't put yourself in a position for losses. You must take all reasonable steps to reduce or avoid any loss.
- Acquire and supply all documents. You must, at your own expense, supply any documents the insurer requests to support your claim. These may include police reports, medical certificates, receipts and more.
- Don't try to beat the system. If you try to make a fraudulent claim then your policy may be cancelled.
- Take required medical examinations. You must agree to undergo a medical examination if requested to do so by the insurer.
- Return any overpayments. You must pay back any amounts that the insurer pays to you which are not covered by your policy.
- Keep your damaged items. You must send any damaged items to the insurer’s claims department for evaluation if required.
- Contact insurer immediately if hospitalised. If you require hospitalisation, emergency transportation or to return to Australia and you want InsureandGo to cover the costs, you’ll need to contact the insurer as soon as possible and obtain approval before making any arrangements.
- Don't double up on claims. You will not be covered for any loss or liability that is covered by another insurance policy, medical scheme or act of parliament.
- Disclose any personal changes. You must inform InsureandGo of any changes that take place between the date you buy your policy and the date you book your trip.
Ready to apply for InsureandGo Cruise Travel Insurance?
Cruise holidays are a wonderful way to get out and explore some incredibly beautiful parts of the world, but having cruise travel insurance cover in place before you depart is essential. InsureandGo Cruise Travel Insurance offers a wide range of benefits and financial protection to policyholders, but it’s important that you compare this plan with other similar policy options on the market to ensure that you end up with the right level of cover for your holiday. If you would like to get started, click below.