Instant personal loans
If you need some extra money in a hurry, an instant personal loan could be the right option for you.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Also known as "payday loans" or "cash loans", instant personal loans can be very popular due to the unpredictable nature of life. If you run into an unexpected obstacle or expense and need money quickly, an instant personal loan lets you borrow a small amount of money that must be paid back within a short timeframe.
If you're considering an instant personal loan, read our guide below to make sure you find the option that is right for you.
Sunshine Short Term Loans
- Loan Amount: $2,000
- Loan Term: 9-14 weeks
- Turnaround Time: 30 minutes - conditions apply
- Fees: 20% of loan amount + 4% of loan amount each month
- Bad credit borrowers OK
- Quick & easy Approval
How does an instant loan work?
Instant personal loans let you borrow up to $2,000 at a time. The application process is quick and you can get access to your funds instantly. When it comes time to pay back your instant personal loan, you can do so through either direct debit or a deduction from your pay.
These loans attract higher fees and charges compared with other loans, and must also be repaid within a short time period, usually varying from 16 days to 1 year. Default fees will apply if you don’t repay your loan in time. Your repayments will include the principal plus 20% of the principal amount, as well as 4% of principal for monthly repayments.
These loans may be a great idea for those who need money instantly, but they’re not generally recommended to be used as a way to get out of debt. If you're in that situation, you should always seek other credit options first. Instant personal loans are also not available to everyone, as credit providers must act responsibly and only approve those they think can repay the loan.
How to compare instant personal loans
There are a number of ways to compare between different loan products. You should consider the following when trying to find the option that is right for you:
- Default fees and charges. If you default on your loan you will most likely be charged a default fee until you repay the owing amount in full. Check out the various default fees and charges associated with each provider before making a decision.
- Monthly fee. The government has imposed a monthly account-keeping fee, currently 4% of the amount borrowed, so monthly fees should all be the same regardless of your provider. However, it’s still worth checking this before you apply for a specific loan.
- Establishment fee. There is a one-off establishment fee which equates to 20% of the amount borrowed.
- Minimum loan amount. Make sure you’re aware of the minimum loan amount, as you don’t want to be borrowing more money than you need and paying more in fees.
- Repayment flexibility. A good instant personal loan is one that provides you with flexibility in terms of repayment.
Pros and cons of instant personal loans
- Get money quickly. The main advantage of the instant personal loan is that you can get money quickly when you need it most. With a quick application process, an instant personal loan can help you in your time of need and give you a viable option for a quick source of funds.
- Convenient payback options. Instant personal loans have convenient payback options such as direct debit or deductions from your pay so you still have money in your account for your regular expenses.
- No interest. As mentioned above, instant personal loans do not attract interest. This can obviously save you money when it comes time to make repayments.
- Limit on fees. The fees charged will vary depending on how much you borrow and the financial provider you go with. However, the government has imposed limits on fees for loans of this nature to protect you.
- Higher fees and charges. Instant personal loans tend to attract higher fees and charges than other types of credit. It’s best to check directly with your provider to get an idea of the potential charges.
- Maximum of $2,000. Small amount loans have a maximum borrowing limit of $2,000. If you need more than this amount, this loan may not be for you and you should seek other credit options.
- Short payback period. Instant personal loans must be paid off within periods between 16 days and 1 year. This can be a challenge if you are having long-term money problems, so it’s important to keep this timeframe in mind.
Things to avoid with instant personal loans
- Falling into too much debt. A problem with borrowing any money is always falling into too much debt. It is strongly recommended not to use an instant personal loan to get out of debt. Make sure you first consider all your other options before going with an instant loan. If you feel like you are falling into debt and having issues paying back your loan, it’s best to speak to the credit provider or seek other financial or legal help.
- Fees and charges. Instant personal loans attract higher fees and charges than other loan options. You should research all credit providers who provide this type of loan to determine which lender has the best fees and charges and find the option right for you. Be aware of the different fees and charges you may be liable to pay upfront to avoid unexpected costs.
- Poor credit risk. Applying too many times for an instant personal loan can potentially damage your credit rating. Receiving an instant personal loan is also up to the discretion of the financial advisor who must lend money responsibly.
How to apply for instant personal loans
Applying for an instant personal loan is simple. All you need to do is use the comparison table above and weigh up your options. Use the table to determine the pros and cons of each provider and find the one that best meets your needs. Then it’s as easy as clicking the link provided on the table through to the lender’s website and initiating the application process.
To be eligible for this loan you must be at least 18 years of age and be able to provide proof that you will be capable of making the repayments. You may also need to supply certain documents including bank statements from the past 90 days, payslips or Centrelink statements, copies of bills, copies of other credit contracts and property rental statements.
More guides on Finder
Out of cycle: How your home loan rate could increase this year, even if the cash rate doesn’t
The last time the cash rate held for extended period of 34 months, banks changed their interest rates seven times - five of which were increases.
Non-conforming home loans guide
Imperfect credit? A non-conforming loan might help you become a home owner.
Adding value to a house
Add big value to your house without a major investment with these top tips.
Car loan statistics 2021
Finder research shows 2.7 million Australians have a car loan. Find out how much Aussies are borrowing, and how this has changed over time.
How to buy Robinhood stock from Australia
Robinhood is set to go public as soon as June. Here's what you need to do to buy in from Australia.
86 400 Neat home loan – variable
This flexible variable rate home loan offer from a digital lender is suitable for both home buyers and investors.
Find the best AUD to USD exchange rate
Get today’s best Australian to US dollar exchange rates before you send money overseas.
International money transfer services
Beat the banks, find the best exchange rates and avoid fees when you send money abroad from Australia.
86 400 Own home loan – fixed
Check out this flexible fixed rate offer from a digital lender. Rates for home buyers and investors.
Citi Rewards Card – Bonus Points Offer
Earn flexible rewards points as you spend and enjoy a big 100,000 bonus points offer with the Citi Rewards Credit Card.
Personal Loan OffersImportant Information*
You'll receive a fixed rate between 6.99% p.a. and 24.79% p.a. based on your risk profile.
Apply for a loan up to $50,000 and repay your loan over 3 or 5 years terms.
You'll receive a fixed rate of 10.5% p.a.
Apply for up to $50,000 to use for a variety of purposes without needing to add security. Available to self-employed applicants.
You'll receive a fixed rate between 6.99% p.a. and 18.99% p.a. ( 7.91% p.a. to 19.83% p.a. comparison rate) based on your risk profile
An unsecured loan up to $55,000 you can use for a range of purposes and pay off over up to 7 years. Note: Majority of customers will get the headline rate of 12.69% p.a. (13.56% p.a. comparison rate) or less. See Comparison rate warning in (i) above.
You'll receive a fixed rate between 6.99% p.a. and 20.49% p.a. based on your risk profile
A loan from $5,000 to use for a range of purposes. Benefit from no ongoing fees and no early repayment fee.
Ask an Expert