If you want to buy your groceries online, you have a lot of options. Major supermarkets like Coles and Woolworths have online delivery and many ecommerce stores sell grocery staples. The downside is that you'll have to think ahead about what you want to eat since delivery is usually at least 1-2 days (or more) after you order.
So what if you need groceries quickly and can't run out to get them? That's where instant grocery delivery services come in. With delivery times of 15 minutes or less, these services can get essentials to your door much quicker than regular grocery stores.
However, these services don't offer as many products as you'd expect to find at Coles or Woolworths, so you might not find absolutely everything you want. Also, they currently only operate in major metropolitan areas in Sydney and Melbourne.
If you're new to the world of instant grocery delivery and aren't sure which services are available, check out our comparison table for more information.
How fast are instant grocery delivery services?
There's no one definition of an "instant" delivery service, so if you search the term, you might come across stores that offer same-day delivery or delivery in 1-2 hours in certain areas.
If you're looking for a truly "instant" service, there are only a few services in Australia that can get groceries to your door in 15 minutes or less.
Uber Eats and DoorDash also offer grocery delivery that can be much quicker than traditional grocery stores, but the specific delivery times will depend on the store you order from, your location and driver availability.
How to compare instant grocery delivery services
- Location. If you live in metropolitan Sydney, you have several options to choose from. If you live in Melbourne, there are one or two services available. Unfortunately, if you live anywhere else in Australia, there aren't any truly "instant" services available yet.
- Delivery time. While all the services included on this page are fast, they do vary a bit in terms of delivery time. If you're in the middle of a recipe and need an ingredient ASAP, go with a service that gets you what you need in less than 10 minutes.
- Range of products. Instant grocery delivery services don't offer as many products as full-sized grocery stores. If you're looking for a specific product or brand, you might have a hard time finding it. Each service offers a unique range of products, so check out what's on offer before you make an order.
- Delivery fee. Some services charge a flat fee for delivery, while others vary depending on your location and the size of your order. Some services also have a minimum spending requirement.
- The app. All the instant grocery delivery services that are currently available in Australia are apps, which means you'll need to download them from your mobile app store. When you're comparing services, consider how easy the app is to use. Can you easily search for products? Is it possible to add multiples to your cart with the click of a button? Can you save your payment information so you don't have to type it in each time?
More guides on Finder
UberEats grocery delivery review: A convenient option if you already have the app
A great option, especially if you already have the UberEats app.
Best instant grocery delivery apps in Australia
These are the 4 best instant grocery delivery apps available right now in Australia.
MILKRUN review: It delivers the goods in 10 minutes
We ordered from MILKRUN on 5 different occasions, to put its 10-minute delivery pledge to the test. Did it deliver?