Cheap flights to India for 2021
Find flight deals and special fares to all parts of India from Australia.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
India conjures up a variety of images, from the Taj Mahal and jungle wildlife, to cities bustling with delicious food. There are plenty of flight deals to India all year round, so you can explore the beaches in the south, the hiking opportunities around the Himalayas and the Ganges Range in the north. Many airlines operate with flexible departure dates and times from Australia, so pack your bags and take in all that this South Asian nation has to offer.
Our latest flight deals to India
How long is the flight to India from Australia?
- From Melbourne: Approximately 15 hrs 25 mins + with a stopover, landing at Indira Gandhi Airport
- From Sydney: Approximately 12 hrs 25 mins + when flying direct to Indira Gandhi Airport
- From Perth: Approximately 12 hrs 25 min + with a stopover, landing at Indira Gandhi Airport
- From Brisbane: Approximately 14 hrs 30 mins + with a stopover, landing at Indira Gandhi Airport
Which airlines fly to India from Australia?
- Air India
- Jet Airways
When's the best time to book Christmas flights to India?
According to Skyscanner booking data the best time to book any long-haul flights from Australia is generally 38 weeks in advance (9.5 months). This is where you can reap savings of up to 36% compared to the median price of a flight to India throughout the year. Booking 5 months in advance can still save you up to 14%.
That being said you might still be able to jump on a last-minute sale window. This typically happens in the second week of November.
By booking your departure flight for 6 December or earlier, you'll score a major deal. For your return, book a flight that takes off on 29, 30 or even 31 December to find reasonably priced fares.
Prices spike for flights in the first week of January but if you plan on being in India for New Year's you can still find cheap return flights just after New Year's Day.
India insider flight tips
- India’s national carrier, Air India, operates the only direct flights to India from Sydney and Melbourne in Australia. It is worth noting that flying one-stop with an alternative five-star airline such as Singapore Airlines or Cathay Pacific is sometimes around the same price. Australians flying from Sydney or Melbourne can therefore choose between flying nonstop or breaking up the the 12-13 hour journey according to preference.
- A cheap way to get from Australia to India is with budget airline Scoot who offer flights from Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Gold Coast via Singapore to Amritsar and Jaipur in the north and Chennai in the south. You can also connect to 14 airports across India with AirAsia from the same Australian cities plus Darwin
- October and March are considered the best months to visit when crowds aren’t at their peak. The climate during these months is largely cool and dry, outside of monsoon season, and ideal for sightseeing and outdoor activities
- Be sure to keep up-to-date with current travel advice when looking for flight deals to India. The Australian Government advises against travel to parts of the country and recommend exercising a high degree of caution overall, particularly in heavily-touristed areas. Check Smarttraveller for updates.
More guides on Finder
Amazon Prime Day Australia 2021: 11 great deals you can still get
Forgot that Prime Day was on? Don't panic! Here are 11 unmissable deals you can still get today.
How to buy SPDR S-and-P World ex Australia Hedged Fund units
Steps to owning and managing SPDR S and P World ex Australian (Hedged) Fund ETF units.
Amazon Prime Day Australia 2021: All the best deals from Day 2
Here are all the best deals from Amazon Prime Day Australia's second day - including the return of dirt-cheap Nintendo Switch consoles.
Prime Day deal: $100 off Sony’s ‘Bose Killing’ Headphones
Get 33% off Sony WH1000XM3 Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones during Amazon Prime Day 2021. Here's how to get the deal before it disappears.
How to get $90.95 off Nintendo Switch with Amazon Prime
Amazon Australia is selling the Nintendo Switch video game console for $349 during Prime Day - that's over $120 off the RRP.
Amazon Prime Day’s best deals on big-ticket items: Up to 46% off
From Segways to stand-up paddleboards, these are the best Prime Day savings on the most expensive items.
Nacon RIG 500 Pro HC Gen 2 review: Super comfortable gaming headphones
The Nacon Rig 500 Pro HC headphones have wide console and PC compatibility, Dolby Atmos licensing and a genuinely comfortable design, even for longer gaming sessions.
Oppo Find X3 Neo 5G review: Oppo’s better flagship phone
The Oppo Find X3 Neo lacks the utter flagship features of the Find X3 Pro, but you won't miss them, while you will enjoy its lower price point.
7 health insurance deals to save you money at tax time
Avoid the MLS tax and get a rebate by taking out health insurance. Here are 7 deals that’ll save you money on your tax returns.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Milton Corporation (MLT ↑16.0%), Oneview Healthcare (ONE ↑12.8%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Tuesday 22 June 2021.
Ask an Expert