Qantas Income Protection
Get up to 100,000 Qantas Points when you apply for income protection from Qantas Insurance.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
|Maximum monthly income||$12,000 (Up to 75% of your regular income)|
|Age of entry||18-59|
|How do I apply?||Online with the insurer|
This cover might be suitable if:
- You want to quickly apply online
- You are after cover with a high benefit period and a flexible choice of waiting periods
- You are under 59 years of age
- You are after specific cover for sports injuries (conditions apply)
Apply carefully if:
- You have pre-existing conditions - make sure you can declare your condition during the application for assessment. Otherwise, they could be excluded at claim time.
- You are just trying to get Qantas Frequent Flyer points. Consider your need for income protection first.
Don't get this cover if:
- You want a policy that can cover up to 85% of your monthly income (to a specified limit).
Information last checked on April 2019. Always consult the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).
What types of Income Protection products does Qantas Insurance offer?
Qantas Income Protection offers three types of Income Protection, which you can take out separately or together:
- Accident Cover. Covers you in the event of total or partial disability as a result of accidental injury.
- Illness Cover. Covers you in the event of total or partial disability as a result of illness (mental health-related illness limited to a maximum of two years).
- Sports Cover. Covers you in the event of total or partial disability as a result of a sports injury (must be taken out in conjunction with Accident Cover).
What are the key features of Qantas Insurance?
Qantas Income Protection provides the following features and benefits:
- Up to five years of monthly benefit payments
- Choice of waiting periods from 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 13 weeks or 2 years.
- Cover up to 75% of your regular income to a maximum of $12,000 per month
- Rehabilitation program funding to assist your return to work
- A dedicated claims manager if you contact the insurer as soon as you have a claim
- No medical tests when you apply
- Monthly payments for total disability
- Partial monthly payments for partial disability
- No waiting period if your disability recurs within 12 months
- No premium payments while you are receiving benefits
- A cover pause of up to three months for financial hardship
- A choice of stepped or level premiums
Does Qantas Insurance have any rewards programs included with its cover?
When you join Qantas Life Insurance you can earn up to 100,000 Qantas Points (minimum premium applies) and put them towards flights, upgrades and more. Every dollar spent on your premium earns you one Qantas Point, additional points can be earned for exercising using the Qantas Wellbeing App.
How are my premiums paid?
The cost of your premiums will depend on a range of factors including your age, gender, occupation, health, income, personal pastimes, type of cover and number of cover types held.
All premiums are payable by the due date shown in your policy schedule and are payable monthly, quarterly, half-yearly or annually by direct debit, credit card, cheque or BPAY (if requested over the phone).
You can choose to pay either stepped or level premiums. Stepped premiums start off cheaper and increase every year with your age, while level premiums generally start higher but do not increase with your age (apart from general premium rate rises and inflation protection).
How do I make a claim?
Making a claim on your Qantas Income Protection policy is designed to be as easy and straightforward as possible and involves the following key steps:
- Contact your insurance provider as soon as an event occurs and you will be given a dedicated claims manager.
- They will take details over the phone (where feasible) and explain the steps you will need to take and the information you’ll need to provide.
- Required information may include the initial medical practitioner’s report, a certified copy of your identification and proof of age, your policy details, verification of your pre-disability earnings and your monthly earnings before and after the event.
- Once a claim has been lodged, the assessment process will begin.
- You may be required to undergo further medical tests to verify your claim (the insurer covers the cost of these).
- You may be referred by the insurer to a vocational or occupational specialist to develop a personal rehabilitation program to assist you in your return to work (also paid for by the insurer).
What other charges are there to be aware of?
Other things to be aware of with your Qantas Income Protection cover include the following;
- Premium loadings may apply to certain increased risk factors such as pre-existing medical conditions.
- If you have level premiums, they will change to stepped premiums on the policy anniversary after you reach the age of 64.
- Unless you opt out of inflation protection, an annual benefit and premium increase will apply (CPI or 3% per year, whichever is greater).
- Your benefit amount will be reduced if you receive other income payments which increase your income to more than 75% of your pre-disability income (i.e. workers compensation, sick leave or mortgage insurance payments).
What are some of the general exclusions?
There are some general exclusions to be aware of in your Qantas Income Protection policy. No payment will be made if the event giving rise to the claim is caused by:
- an intentional, self-inflicted act by you
- pregnancy, giving birth, miscarrying or having a pregnancy termination (except in specified circumstances)
- war, terrorism, civil commotion or insurgent activities in countries outside Australia
- visiting a country for which DFAT has issued a “Do Not Travel” warning that is in force during your stay
- committing or attempting to commit a criminal offence
For specific exclusions relating to your Qantas Income Protection, you should read the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) thoroughly to ensure you understand your cover limitations.
*General conditions you should consider. A minimum monthly premium of $25 is required to earn points when you sign on and you'll also need to hold a policy for at least 9 months to receive the maximum amount of points for how much you pay in premiums. In order to earn 100,000 points a minimum monthly premium of $300 is required (and the policy must be held for 9 months). Be sure to check the full terms and conditions when you apply.
More guides on Finder
5 MASSIVE Apple Cyber Monday deals for Australians
We've found the best deals on all things Apple, including iPhones, AirPods, iPads and Apple Watches for Cyber Monday 2021.
Cyber Monday air fryer sales: Up to 85% off
Save up to 85% on select air fryers and multi-cookers during the Cyber Monday sale on Amazon, eBay, Catch and more.
The best Cyber Monday tech deals in Australia
Cyber Monday has landed, which means its time to get a deal on some fancy tech, from phones and headphones to laptops and cameras.
Cyber Monday TV sale: Up to $3,000 off smart TVs [Updated]
The best Cyber Monday 2021 discounts include over $1,000 off 75-inch and 85-inch smart TVs from Samsung and Hisense.
How to watch Chelsea vs Man United Premier League live and match preview
It has been a tumultuous week for Manchester United and now they face the Premier League leaders Chelsea.
Best weekend deals from eBay for Black Friday: Games, tech, more
Deal alert: Get up to 76% off at eBay Australia this Saturday with the latest and greatest Black Friday weekend deals.
Best weekend deals from Amazon for Black Friday: Games, tech, homewares
We've handpicked the 50 best Black Friday weekend deals available from Amazon, including games, home appliances, electronics and gadgets.
How to watch Teófimo López vs George Kambosos boxing world title fight live
The WBA (Super), IBF, WBO and The Ring lightweight titles go on the line this weekend. Can Australia's George Kambosos take them all?
How to watch Liverpool vs Southampton Premier League live and match preview
Southampton have produced a solid month, but they'll need to be at their best when they travel to Liverpool on Sunday.
How to watch Arsenal vs Newcastle Premier League live and match preview
The Premier League's only winless team is Newcastle and they travel to Arsenal in desperate need of points.
Ask an Expert