Get bonus 100,000 Qantas points when you apply for income protection from Qantas Assure.
Qantas Assure Life Protect is Life, Income Protection, TPD and Trauma insurance promoted by Qantas Airways, Australia’s largest domestic and international airline. Cover is underwritten by TAL Life Limited. Australia's largest life insurance specialist and part of the Dai-ichi Life Group, one of the world's largest life insurance groups. One of their key products offered is income protection insurance which offers up to 5 years worth of benefit payments if your forced out of work due to injury or an illness.
|Underwriter||TAL Life Limited|
|What products are offered?|
|Age||Between 18 - 59|
Note: Conditions apply, always consult the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS)
What types of Income Protection products does Qantas Assure offer?
Qantas Assure Income Protection offers three types of Income Protection, which you can take out separately or together:
- Accident Cover. Covers you in the event of total or partial disability as a result of accidental injury.
- Illness Cover. Covers you in the event of total or partial disability as a result of illness (mental health-related illness limited to a maximum of two years).
- Sports Cover. Covers you in the event of total or partial disability as a result of a sports injury (must be taken out in conjunction with Accident Cover).
What are the key features of Qantas Assure?
Qantas Assure Income Protection provides the following features and benefits:
- Up to five years of monthly benefit payments
- 75% of your regular income to a maximum of $10,000 per month
- Rehabilitation program funding to assist your return to work
- A dedicated claims manager to help with claims
- No medical tests
- Monthly payments for total disability
- Partial monthly payments for partial disability
- No waiting period if your disability recurs within 12 months
- No premium payments while you are receiving benefits
- A cover pause of up to three months for financial hardship
- A choice of stepped or level premiums
Does Qantas Assure have any rewards programs included with its cover?
When you join Qantas Assure Life Protect you can earn Qantas Points and put them towards flights, upgrades and more. Every dollar spent on your premium earns you one Qantas Point, additional points can be earned for using the Qantas Assure app and you can earn up to 100,000 Qantas Points when you join (minimum premium applies).
How are my premiums paid?
The cost of your premiums will depend on a range of factors including your age, gender, occupation, health, income, personal pastimes, type of cover and number of cover types held.
All premiums are payable by the due date shown in your policy schedule and are payable monthly, quarterly, half-yearly or annually by direct debit, credit card, cheque or BPAY (if requested over the phone).
You can choose to pay either stepped or level premiums. Stepped premiums start off cheaper and increase every year with your age, while level premiums generally start higher but do not increase each year (apart from general premium rate rises and inflation protection).
How do I make a claim?
Making a claim on your Qantas Assure Income Protection policy is designed to be as easy and straightforward as possible and involves the following key steps:
- Contact your dedicated claims manager as soon as possible after an event occurs.
- They will take details over the phone (where feasible) and explain the steps you will need to take and the information you’ll need to provide.
- Required information may include the initial medical practitioner’s report, a certified copy of your identification and proof of age, your policy details, verification of your pre-disability earnings and your monthly earnings before and after the event.
- Once a claim has been lodged, the assessment process will begin.
- You may be required to undergo further medical tests to verify your claim (the insurer covers the cost of these).
- You may be referred to a vocational or occupational specialist to develop a personal rehabilitation program to assist you in your return to work (also paid for by the insurer).
What other charges are there to be aware of?
Other things to be aware of with your Qantas Assure Income Protection cover include the following;
- Premium loadings may apply to certain increased risk factors such as pre-existing medical conditions.
- If you have level premiums, they will change to stepped premiums after you reach the age of 64.
- Unless you opt out of inflation protection, an annual benefit and premium increase will apply (CPI or 3% per year, whichever is greater).
- Your benefit amount will be reduced if you receive other income payments which increase your income to more than 75% of your pre-disability income (i.e. workers compensation, sick leave or mortgage insurance payments).
What are some of the general exclusions?
There are some general exclusions to be aware of in your Qantas Assure Income Protection policy. No payment will be made if the event giving rise to the claim is caused by:
- an intentional, self-inflicted act by you
- pregnancy, giving birth, miscarrying or having a pregnancy termination (except in specified circumstances)
- war, terrorism, civil commotion or insurgent activities in countries outside Australia
- visiting a country for which DFAT has issued a “Do Not Travel” warning that is in force during your stay
- committing or attempting to commit a criminal offence
For specific exclusions relating to your Qantas Assure Income Protection, you should read the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) thoroughly to ensure you understand your cover limitations.