Income Protection for UK Residents in Australia

uk-australiaAre you a U.K resident looking for income protection in Australia? Here's what you need to know.

In addition to private health insurance, many migrants from the U.K opt to take out other forms of insurance to ensure that they and their family are looked after in the event of tragedy. Policy options include term life insurance, TPD insurance, trauma insurance and income protection insurance.

Can UK residents get income protection insurance?

Yes, it is possible to take out Income Protection in Australia as a resident of the U.K provided that you meet the rules of the insurer. Some common conditions include:

  • You have been residing in Australia for at least 6 months (with the intention of becoming a permanent resident).
  • You hold a visa that allows your to reside in Australia for at least two years
  • If you do not intend to reside permanently in Australia some insurers can still cover you if you're on a 457 visa

Apply for income protection if you're a U.K resident

Please enter your full name
Please enter a valid email address
It's important to give us a valid phone number
Date of Birth
This is your current income. Everyone‘s situation is different so you might also want to discuss with an insurance consultant. Calculator
Please enter your occupation
By submitting this form, you agree to the privacy policy
Get quotes

What types of Australian visas are available to UK residents?

Adoption visa (subclass 102) If a child is adopted outside Australia, this visa allows them to move to Australia to live with their adoptive parents.
Child visa (subclass 101)This visa is for children outside Australia who need to come to Australia to live with their parents.
Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143)If you’re the parent of an Australian citizen or permanent resident, this visa allows you to live in Australia.
Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173)This is the same as the above visa but is only valid for two years
Dependent Child visa (subclass 445). This is a temporary visa that can allow a child to travel to and stay in Australia until their parent’s permanent Partner visa is approved
Emergency Rescue visa (subclass 203) If you are subject to persecution in your home country and have an urgent and compelling need to travel to Australia, this visa allows you to live, work and study in Australia, as well as propose or sponsor family members for permanent residence.
Global Special Humanitarian visa (subclass 202)This visa can be proposed by a person or organisation in Australia for those who suffer from gross violations of human rights in their home country. Under this visa, you can live, work and study in Australia, as well as propose or sponsor family members for permanent residence.
Investor Retirement visa (subclass 405)This is a temporary visa designed with self-funded retirees in mind. Applicants must have no dependents and must want to live in Australia during their retirement years
In-country Special Humanitarian visa (subclass 201)This visa is available to people who are living on their home country and are subject to persecution there, and who have not been able to leave that country to seek refuge elsewhere. Under this visa, they can live, work and study in Australia, as well as propose or sponsor family members for permanent residence
Orphan Relative visa (subclass 117)A child can travel to Australia and live here permanently with a sponsoring relative under this visa
Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309) and Partner (Migrant) visa (subclass 100). This allows the spouse or de facto partner of an Australian citizen or permanent resident to travel to and live in Australia
Prospective Marriage Visa (subclass 300). This visa lets applicants come to Australia to marry their respective spouse
Refugee visa (subclass 200)Designed for those who are subject to persecution in their home country, this visa lets you stay indefinitely in Australia and propose or sponsor family members for permanent residence
Resident Return visa (subclasses 155 and 157)This visa is available for former Australian permanent residents or citizens. It allows them to travel overseas and then return to Australia as a permanent resident
Women at risk visa (subclass 204)This visa is designed for women who live outside Australia and outside their home country, who don’t have the protection of a male relative and who are in danger of victimisation, harassment or abuse simply because of their gender

So can I get income protection on any of these visas?

Each income protection brands has a different set of eligibility rules for non-resident applicants. The best way is to either get in touch with an adviser to compare policies or with an insurer directly.

Tips for getting Income Protection Insurance if you're a UK resident

Some key considerations to make as a UK resident include:

  • Cost is always an important factor when you’re shopping for insurance. Find a policy that is affordable for your situation and one that allows you to tailor premium payments in a way that suits your budget.
  • Check if the brand covers non residents. There are number of insurers who will be willing to provide cover to UK residents.
  • Look at your ongoing expenses and obligation. Consider how much of your regular income goes towards things like mortgage repayments, groceries and other bills. Would a policy which pays 75% of your regular income as an ongoing benefit be enough for you to afford to survive financially?
  • Consider the waiting period. This is the time you will have to be off work after falling ill or getting injured before your policy will start paying a benefit.
  • Consider the benefit period. This is the amount of time for which your policy will continue to provide a benefit.
  • Choose a premium type right for you. You will need to choose between level or stepped premiums,
  • Choose between an agreed value or indemnity value policy. Decide whether you want an agreed value or indemnity value policy.
  • Understand the exclusions. Read and clarify any exclusions that come with you cover.

What other benefits are available to UK residents?

Medicare is available to UK Residents

Australia has reciprocal health care agreements in place with a large number of countries, including New Zealand, Ireland, Sweden, Italy, Belgium and the United Kingdom. While this means that the cost of essential medical treatment for Australians travelling in the UK is covered, the same applies to UK residents visiting Australia. However, keep in mind that this is not designed to replace the cover offered under an overseas travel insurance policy.

Find out more about travel insurance for non-residents

So what's covered?

UK visitors are covered for the length of their stay in Australia. Under the agreement, cover is provided for any ill-health or injury you experience in Australia that requires medical treatment before you return to the UK. This means you are able to access:

  • Free treatment as a public inpatient or outpatient in a public hospital
  • Subsidised medicine under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS)
  • Medicare benefits for out-of-hospital treatment provided by a doctor.

What's not covered?

However, remember that some items and procedures will not be covered under the agreement. These include:

  • Glasses and contact lenses
  • Treatment arranged before you visited Australia
  • Accommodation and medical treatment in private hospitals, or as a private patient in a public hospital
  • Ambulance services.

If you’re a UK resident working in Australia, income protection insurance offers a vital form of financial protection. However, it’s essential that you do plenty of research and shop around to find the best possible policy.

Enquire about Income Protection for UK Residents

Picture: Shutterstock

William Eve

Will is a personal finance writer for specialising in content on insurance. While he cannot give personal advice to clients, Will enjoys explaining the intricacies of different types of protective cover to help individuals and businesses find affordable cover that won't leave them underinsured.

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.
Ask a question
Go to site