Income Protection in NSW

Live in NSW? Find the income protection insurance that’s right for your needs.

New South Wales is one of Australia’s most populous states, with a variety of people in all occupations and walks of life. Because of this, income protection insurance is easy to find, either by yourself or with the help of an insurance broker; the hard part is making sure you have the right cover for your needs.

Income protection insurance can keep you going if you suffer an illness or injury that prevents you from working. It does this by paying out a portion of your usual income, typically 75%, until you’re able to get back to work. Income protection insurance lets you focus on recovering rather than stressing over finances.

Can help me find income protection if I'm a NSW resident? allows you to compare policies online and get a quote either with an adviser or directly with an income protection brand.

Compare income protection quotes with an adviser

Please enter your full name
Please enter a valid email address
It's important to give us a valid phone number
Date of Birth
This is your current income. Everyone‘s situation is different so you might also want to discuss with an insurance consultant. Calculator
Please enter your occupation
By submitting this form, you agree to the privacy policy
Get quotes

Compare cover directly with these brands

Product details Maximum cover Maximum Entry Age Cooling-off
Virgin Income Protection
Virgin Income Protection
Protect your lifestyle with Virgin Income Protection. New eligible customers can earn 25,000 Velocity Points. Ends 31 Oct. Min monthly premium and T&Cs apply. $10,000 60 30 Get quoteMore info
ANZ Income Protection
ANZ Income Protection
Receive up to 75% of you income (up to $10,000 per month) of your income if you're unable to work due to serious illness or injury. $10,000 59 21 Get quoteMore info
Real Income Protection Insurance
Real Income Protection Insurance
Cover up to 75% of your monthly income if you can’t work due to illness or injury, up to a maximum of $10,000 a month. Take out cover today and you could get a bonus $100 Gift Card. $10,000 59 30 Get quoteMore info
NobleOak Income Protection
NobleOak Income Protection
Cover up to 75% (to a maximum of $25,000) of your monthly income with NobleOak Income Protection. Benefit period can be tailored to suit your needs. $25,000 59 30 Get quoteMore info

How do I apply for income protection if I work in NSW?

Some of the ways you can apply for income protection in NSW include:

  • Online with an adviser
  • Online directly with an income protection brand
  • In person with a broker

In regional NSW areas, you’re more likely to have to contact an insurer online or over the phone, as it may be difficult to find insurance brokers in your area.

When looking for an income protection insurance policy, you should be aware of the limits, exclusions and conditions that may apply. In NSW you will have the option of bundling income protection insurance with life insurance or health insurance, which might get you better value but might not be suitable for your needs. Your options may be limited by:

  • Pre-existing health conditions
  • A lack of consistent income or full time work
  • A hazardous occupation
  • Smoking and other lifestyle factors
  • Drug use

You will need to make decisions on level of cover and flexibilities available. Lower premiums generally come at the cost of less cover, so try to strike a balance with an income protection insurance policy that protects you from everything you need without breaking the bank. Other options you will need to consider include:

  • Do you want lower excesses and higher premiums, or higher excesses and lower premiums? Many providers will offer you a choice.
  • Do you want to pay more for a longer cover period? Most policies have a maximum cover period, after which they will no longer pay your benefit amount. This can vary widely, from months to years.
  • What’s your typical monthly income? The more you earn, the more the insurance company has to pay if you make a claim, which means you will pay higher premiums. Different income brackets have different income protection insurance needs.
  • What do you want covered? You can often choose what you’d like covered, including options such as sporting injuries, car accidents, injuries sustained on holidays overseas, and other specific issues that you’d like to be covered against.

When applying for income protection insurance, you will need to provide details including:

  • Occupation
  • Income
  • Hobbies
  • Health issues
  • Lifestyle factors
  • Anything else they ask for

Do I need income protection insurance if I get NSW worker’s compensation?

Income protection and worker’s compensation are two different things. The main difference is that:

  1. Income protection. Protects you around the clock at home and at work.
  2. Worker’s compensation. Only applies to work related injuries and illnesses, sustained at work or because of work.

Workers compensation pays for recovery expenses, not income replacement

Income protection insurance will pay a proportion of your normal income, while NSW worker’s compensation is more focused on paying the costs associated with a particular injury or illness.

How much stamp duty do I pay for income protection in NSW?

Stamp duty is a tax placed on a variety of financial service products, including income protection insurance. In New South Wales, the stamp duty is 5%, which will be declared and paid for by your insurer and factored into the cost of your premiums.

State by state income protection stamp duty comparison

StateStamp Duty
Northern Territory10%
New South Wales5%
South Australia11%
Western Australia10%

How can a NSW insurance broker help me?

Insurance brokers can be particularly useful when it comes to navigating complex insurance issues. A broker can help you with issues such as:

  • Overlaps between health insurance, life insurance and income protection insurance
  • Considering all the options, such as bundling income protection with life insurance
  • Making claims more efficiently and effectively
  • Clarifying any unclear or difficult to understand parts of your income protection insurance policy
  • Answering any questions or walking you through the steps

When will income protection insurance not pay out?

All income protection insurance plans come with some typical conditions and exclusions. Some common exclusions include:

  • No cover if you don't actively seek medical treatment. A requirement that you must be actively seeking medical attention for injuries and illness, and following the advice of a licensed medical practitioner.
  • Illegal activity and putting yourself in danger. Policies will generally not pay out if you were injured while doing something illegal or acting exceptionally irresponsibly.
  • Payments inside the waiting period. Benefits will not be paid until the end of the waiting period (the minimum amount of time between being injured and claiming benefits).
  • No proof of your inability to work. You cannot claim if you cannot prove an inability to work due to injury or illness, or without a licensed medical practitioner’s say so.

Make an enquiry for income protection in NSW

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, read the PDS or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.
Ask a question