HyperX Cloud Stinger Core review: Quality that doesn’t sting the wallet
The HyperX Cloud Stinger Core deliver impressive speaker and mic fidelity, plus it'll take an especially epic ragequit to harm them.
- Quite decent speaker audio.
- Microphone output is rather crisp.
- Does extreme yoga to fit all head types.
- Can take a beating /angry twisting /rage-biting.
Could be better
- Microphone not detachable.
- Two-thread cabling to both ear cups.
- Console-neutral colouring would have been better.
Comfort, durability and convenience, all at a low, low price: that's the mission statement of this console gaming headset by HyperX. For reasons I can't explain its attempts to do so have been named: Cloud Stinger Core, though I'd put my money on a word generator somewhere set to “edgy gamer nouns”. The Stinger may be nonsensical in some ways but it's hard to deny that the performance and features it offers for a mere 70 bucks makes perfect sense.
- Fabric ear cups aren't quite as plush as the memory foam of the original Cloud Stinger
- 3.5mm cable provides compatibility with a wide range of devices
- 40mm drivers offer decent audio quality for the price
- Mic audio is equally respectable
- Plenty of adjustment options for different head sizes
- In-line controls aren't quite as easy to access as the regular Cloud Stinger's on-ear controls
By and large, the performance and comfort you're getting here are well worth your hard-earned money. The Cloud Stinger Core is perfect for two types of buyers: for a casual gamer looking to get the job done well on the cheap, or a parent looking to buy a reasonably-priced, fairly indestructible set of cans for their offspring. Basically, if you have hyper children, think HyperX because at this low-tier price point you're not going to find anything that does the job better than these things.
HyperX Cloud Stinger Core Gaming Headset
The HyperX Stinger Core delivers high-quality audio and plenty of versatility at a very affordable price.