HyperX Alloy Core RGB review
With the Alloy Core RGB, HyperX has raised the bar for membrane keyboards. Speedy, sturdy and affordable, it's an excellent choice for anyone wanting RGB lighting on a budget.
- Soft yet responsive keys
- Sturdy and resilient frame
- Full RGB lighting
- Good price
- No support for HyperX NGenuity app
- Membrane switches aren't going to convert mechanical die-hards
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
Membrane keyboards have a tough time winning me over. Ever since I touched a mechanical keyboard, I've favoured the punch and firm resistance they offer, leaving my old rubber-capped membrane keyboards to gather dust in the closet.
However, over the last week, my preference has been undermined by the HyperX Alloy Core RGB, a membrane keyboard that manages to feel every bit as reliable and satisfying as HyperX's excellent mechanical boards. Membrane switches allow HyperX to hit a far more affordable price point, too, making it a compelling choice for budget-conscious gamers, office workers or anyone looking for a softer alternative to a high-end mechanical keyboard.
- Surprisingly hardy for a membrane keyboard
- Spill-resistant design offers welcome protection against accidents
- Membrane keys deliver firm feedback impressively close to mechanical switches
- Faster and softer than you're going to get with a mechanical board
- Dedicated media keys are always a nice bonus
- Full RGB lighting, including a light bar across the top of the board
With my feet planted firmly in the mechanical keyboard camp, I was genuinely surprised by the HyperX Alloy Core RGB. Not only is it an excellent membrane keyboard that delivers RGB lighting on a budget, it's proof that you don't need mechanical switches to enjoy fast, responsive and reliable feedback. Whether you're looking for affordable RGB lighting, soft yet sturdy keys or style that doesn't veer into outlandishness, HyperX's Alloy Core RGB is well worth considering.
Pricing and availability
The HyperX Alloy Core RGB retails for $99 and is available from local stores like JB Hi-Fi as well as plenty of online retailers like eBay.
HyperX Alloy Core RGB Membrane Gaming Keyboard
Get your RGB fix on the cheap with the affordable HyperX Alloy Core RGB gaming keyboard.