Hunter Valley scenic flights: A guide to where, when and the best deals
A quick and easy guide to flying in and out of the Hunter Valley.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The Hunter Valley is a major wine region in New South Wales, boasting spectacular vineyards and serene landscapes. See it all from above with these unique flying experiences ranging from joy flights to scenic helicopter journeys and hot air balloon rides.
Hunter Valley flight deals
Where do scenic flights in the Hunter Valley depart?
All experiences listed here depart from Cessnock Airport or the Hunter Valley Airport.
Our top picks for hot air balloon flights in the Hunter Valley
Best for value: Midweek hot air ballooning over the Hunter Valley from Adrenaline
- $199 per adult and $179 per child
- Midweek sunrise hot air balloon flight
- One-hour flight over the Hunter Valley region
- Access to digital photos from flight
Best for views: Sunrise hot air ballooning over the Hunter Valley from RedBalloon
- One-hour sunrise hot air ballooning flight
- Views overlooking Hunter Valley vineyards
- Experienced pilot with expert local knowledge
- Photo opportunities
- À la carte breakfast with a glass of wine at local winery
Our top picks for scenic helicopter flights in the Hunter Valley
Best for price: Best of the Hunter Valley scenic flight from Adrenaline
- $350 for two people
- Take in views of the Hunter Valley Vineyards and Brokenback Mountains
- 12-minute ride
- Commentary from pilot throughout the flight
Best for views: Hunter Valley scenic flight with gourmet breakfast from RedBalloon
- 15-minute scenic flight over the Hunter Valley
- Gourmet breakfast accompanied with sparkling wine for two at Peterson House or Enzo
- Picturesque views and photo opportunities
Our top picks for joy flights in the Hunter Valley
Best for experience length: Aerobatic war bird formation and dogfighting flight from RedBalloon
- 30-minute aerobatic flight
- Experience manoeuvres including loops, turns and rolls
- Experienced, ex-military pilot
Best for value: Matt Hall Racing - The Ride of Your Life from RedBalloon
- 10-minute extreme air racing
- Aerobatic manoeuvres including G turns, rolls, spins, half Cubans and upside down
Best for views: Tiger Moth scenic flight from Adrenaline
- Ride in a two seater aircraft with an open cockpit
- Enjoy unobstructed panoramic views
- Opportunity to get pictures with the aircraft
- Get suited up in authentic flying gear
- Fly over the Hunter Valley Gardens, The Vintage Golf Course, the Brokenback mountain ranges and the Upper Hunter Valley
Flights in the Hunter Valley compared: Price and duration
|Experience name||Booking company||Price||Duration||Extras/inclusions available|
|Midweek hot air ballooning over the Hunter Valley||Adrenaline||$179+||Minimum 1 hour|
|Sunrise hot air ballooning over the Hunter Valley||RedBalloon||$538 for two people||Minimum 1 hour|
|Best of the Hunter Valley scenic flight||Adrenaline||$350 for two people||Minimum 12 minutes|
|Hunter Valley scenic flight and gourmet breakfast||RedBalloon||$550 for two people||Minimum 15 minutes|
|Aerobatic war bird formation and dog fighting flight||RedBalloon||$499||Minimum 30 minutes|
|Matt Hall Racing - The Ride of Your Life||RedBalloon||$429||Minimum 10 minutes|
|Tiger Moth scenic flight||Adrenaline||$799||Minimum 60 minutes|
More guides on Finder
9 things to do on Boxing Day on the Gold Coast
Get amongst it all on 26 December with these adrenaline-fuelled or family-friendly activities available on the Gold Coast.
Things to do on Boxing Day in Perth
Here are the top experiences you can book on Boxing Day to make the most of your day off. Plus, discover the restaurants, cafes and bars open, too.
9 Northern Territory road trip itineraries for epic outback adventures
Hit the open outback road and explore some of the NT's most scenic national parks, waterfalls and hot springs.
8 romantic getaways in the Hunter Valley
From award-winning chateaus and luxury farm stays to secluded retreats, these romantic getaways in the Hunter Valley will have you swooning.
6 Northern Territory family holiday destinations that are truly unforgettable
These kid-friendly destinations in the NT are the perfect way to introduce kids to the stunning territory, from the Top End to the Red Centre, including a list of our favourite swimming spots for the ultimate cool down.
Best places to visit in the Northern Territory in 2021
Unique cultural experiences and picturesque natural wonders await in these six destinations. Plus, our top picks on the territory's best camp sites.
Western Australia travel restrictions: Where you can go in January 2021
What you need to know before you travel in WA, including which attractions and national parks are open, where you can stay and the available modes of transport.
Tasmania travel restrictions | Where you can go in January 2021
Read our up-to-date guide on the accommodation, tourist attractions and travel services open in Tasmania as well as any rules and restrictions you should know about.
Where can you go in New South Wales in January 2021? | NSW travel restrictions explained
As the state lifts bans put in place due to COVID-19, here's where you can go now, what you can do and what to keep in mind.
Best places to visit in South Australia
Discover tourist hotspots like Adelaide and Kangaroo Valley and best kept secrets such as the Yorke Peninsula and Mount Gambier on your next trip around South Australia.
Ask an Expert