Huawei Y9 Prime 2019 review
Quick verdict: The Huawei Y9 Prime is a top-notch budget handset that we'd enthusiastically recommend were it not for the issues surrounding Huawei's access to Google updates and services.
- Good front and back cameras
- Solid battery life
- Decent performance within its price range
- Huawei's access to Google apps and services could be limited
- Front camera can be slow to pop up
- EMUI can still be annoying for Android purists.
2340 x 1080px
16MP + 8MP + 2MP
Finder rated as Good vs similar phones
Power, storage and battery
|Launch price (RRP)||$0|
|Launch date||13th May 2019|
That's not what happened, however, with the US ban on Huawei so seriously limiting its access to Google apps and services that it has launched the Huawei Mate 30 Pro without full Google access, and, at the time of writing, not yet in Australia at all.
In the middle of this kerfuffle, Huawei has also launched the more affordably priced Huawei Y9 Prime 2019. It's a full Google Android phone, so you do get access to all of Google's services, but it's a rather more open question about what happens with any future updates or access. It could well be that the Huawei Y9 Prime 2019 is Huawei's last "proper" Android phone to launch in Australia.
Unfortunately, that prospect of worrying about access to Google has to be part of your decision matrix when considering the Huawei Y9 Prime 2019 because removed from it, Huawei's produced an exceptionally competitive mid-range handset.
- Midnight Black or Sapphire Blue finishes
- Full-screen 6.59-inch display
- Rear fingerprint sensor
- Still has a headphone jack
- Selfie camera delivers good results – but it's not quick
- Rear cameras are very good for a phone in this price category
- Kirin 710 provides adequate mid-range power
- EMUI is still a love-it-or-loathe-it proposition
- Update future is super-murky
- 4,000mAh battery gives good all-day battery life
- App management can be a little overly aggressive
- Great value for the money
- But what happens with updates?
There are plenty of alternatives to the Huawei Y9 Prime 2019 because 2019 has been a bumper year for really top-value mid-range handsets.