Huawei MateBook D15 review
- Clean design
- Good display
- Full sized HDMI output
- Mediocre battery life
- Pop-up webcam looks up your nose
Huawei's currently blocked from offering Google's Android OS on its phones, but no such restriction is in place (for now) for its laptop lines. That means that the Huawei MateBook D15 is a full Windows 10 laptop, like its predecessors were.
Unlike many of Huawei's previous offerings, this isn't a high-end ultrabook style model, but instead more of a mid-range laptop. The MateBook D15 benefits from Huawei's uncluttered design, and it's moderately powerful for a laptop in its class, but it does lack the kind of battery endurance you're likely to want in a laptop of this size and price.
- 15.6-inch 1,080p display
- Range of ports on both sides
- Pop-up webcam
- AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with 8GB of RAM is fair at this price
- Huawei Share only works with Huawei phones
- Very fast charging
- Wide charger
- Sub-par battery life
Should you buy the Huawei MateBook D15?
The Huawei MateBook D15 doesn't do too much wrong within its price bracket. The design is a little derivative, but it's also pleasant, and it's graced with more ports than you'll find on a more expensive MacBook in any case. There's enough processing power for what is a mid-range device, so it's an entirely capable unit on that score.
Battery life isn't what it should be. That might not be an issue if your daily work simply involves using it plugged in at your desk and only away from power for brief meetings, but it's still not hard to get better battery endurance, even at this price point.
Pricing and availability
Images: Alex Kidman
You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:
- Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
- finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
- We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
- Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked