The Mate 9 is an exceptional entry into the 2017 smartphone space and one that puts every other phone maker on notice.
- Very powerful processor.
- Excellent camera.
- Quick fingerprint unlocking.
- Dual SIM capability.
- Good overall battery performance.
- Screen protection.
- Only a 1080p screen.
- Emotion UI is quirky.
- No water resistance.
- No dual SIM on contract.
- No Porsche phone for you.
Huawei absolutely knocks it out of the park with the Mate 9, putting every other smartphone maker on notice.
In the premium phone space, timing is everything. It’s inevitable that nobody wants to release their phones head to head with Apple, for a start. In 2017, Samsung opted to delay the Samsung Galaxy S8 until after MWC for that very reason, with LG announcing the LG G6 there.
Huawei, meanwhile, beat everyone to the punch by launching the Huawei Mate 9 in February 2017. However, Huawei could be accused of cheating as the Mate 9 was announced in 2016, which could lead you to suspect that it’s a phone more suited to last year’s needs rather than a true premium handset for 2017. So how does the Mate 9 stack up?
- Large 5.9-inch screen is great for entertainment on the go.
- Lack of water resistance is a little disappointing.
- Dual-lens camera array delivers incredibly sharp photos.
- Easily on par with the iPhone 7 Plus and Samsung Galaxy S7.
- Huawei's custom Kirin processor delivers excellent performance both on paper and in real-world testing.
- Despite low benchmark results, the Mate 9 is easily capable of multi-day battery life.
- Minimal downtime thanks to Quick Charge support.
- A powerhouse smartphone that stands tall among 2017's best.
Pricing and availability
Huawei Mate 9
Bigger is better
Go big whether you're going home or going out with the Huawei Mate 9 and its extra-large 5.9-inch screen.
- The Huawei Mate 9 is available from online retailers like Catch for around $600.
- You can also buy the Huawei Mate 9 on contract through Optus.
|Display size (inches)||5.9|
|Display resolution (pixels)||1920 x 1080|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||373|
|Battery size (mAh)||4,000|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||12|
|Rear camera (1) aperture||f/2.2|
|Rear camera (2) resolution||20|
|Rear camera (2) aperture|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||8|
|Front camera (1) aperture||f/1.9|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||Category 12|
Latest Huawei news
We help you find the best Vodafone phone on contract with our comprehensive guide to the best handsets available right now. Read more…
It's time to pit the flagship phones against each other to see who can deliver the most consistently pleasing low-light results. Read more…
The lower-cost Huawei P30 is expected to offer triple-lens cameras and plenty of Huawei's own style. Here's what we already know. Read more…