HSBC Premier Card Credit Card and Debit Card Insurance Overview

HSBC Premier clients are encouraged to take advantage of a range of complimentary insurance policies attached to their credit card and debit card accounts.

The Premier range of cards form part of HSBC's wealth management service. This places a strong focus on the financial and banking needs of their high net wealth customers. In order to qualify for the insurance policies attached, you will need to have either a HSBC Premier World Mastercard or a HSBC Premier Debit Card. You're under no obligation to use the policies unless you choose to, but they are available if you ever need them or want them.

Need to make a claim?

Zurich is the insurance company that provides insurance for eligible HSBC products. If you wish to make a claim, please note that you need to contact Zurich, not HSBC. If you are overseas: +61 2 9995 2477 If you are in Australia: 1800 072 791

Complimentary Insurance policies

International travel insurance

Use your HSBC Premier Credit Card or Debit Card to pay for your overseas travel costs and you could be covered by the international travel insurance policy. For the purpose of this policy, even travelling from mainland Australia to Norfolk Island or to Christmas Island will be considered an overseas trip. Likewise, travelling from Tasmania to mainland Australia will also be considered an overseas trip. The same is true for travelling from Australia to Lord Howe Island or Cocos Island, with the exception that medical expenses incurred overseas may not be covered.

Find out more about complimentary international travel insurance

There are multiple aspects of this policy that cover you for certain things. These include:

Medical and hospital expenses

If you're involved in an accident or are injured or become ill during your overseas trip, your policy may cover you for any medical expenses you incur. This includes medical or surgical treatment you receive, or any other treatment given by a medical professional. You may be covered for an unlimited amount of money to cover your medical and hospital expenses incurred while you're overseas. There is also provision within the policy to cover any costs for a relative to travel to wherever you are and to escort you back home again. This will only take effect if a medical professional confirms in writing that you require an escort. The policy will also cover costs incurred for emergency dental treatments to up a maximum of $750. The dental practitioner will need to verify that your treatment was given as an emergency to relieve pain in writing. Your policy won't cover any dental treatment caused by decay or deterioration, nor will it cover work to dentures or crowns. Additionally, you may also be able to claim a bed patient allowance to cover incidental costs that include TV rental and newspapers. The maximum amount you're able to claim is limited to $75 per day, up to a maximum of $2250. Keep in mind that the insurer reserves the right to return you to Australia to continue your medical care under Medicare if they deem it necessary.

Resuming overseas journey after death of a relative

In the event that you are required to interrupt your overseas journey in order to return home following the death of a relative, your insurance policy may cover you for any costs you must pay in order to resume your journey. You can claim for up to a maximum of $7,500 per person under this policy. It's important that you resume your originally planned trip within 30 days from the time you returned to Australia. You also can't claim if you had already completed your planned trip and were already heading home. There must have been a minimum of 14 days or 25% of the total planned trip remaining for this cover to take effect. You also can't make a claim if the relative died before you booked and paid for your travel plans. The relative must have died during your overseas trip and must not have been as a result of already being diagnosed with a terminal illness.

Special event

There are times when you may find your trip is interrupted unexpectedly, leaving you in a situation where you may miss a special event that can't be delayed. When this happens, you may be forced to pay additional costs to obtain alternative means of transportation to reach your destination on time. You may be able to claim up to a maximum of $3,000 to cover the reasonable costs of booking alternative transport so you can attend a special event. Keep in mind that the term 'special event' refers to any event that cannot be cancelled or delayed due to you not being there. This includes weddings, reunions, and other ticketed events.

Unexpected cancellation and subsequent travel fees

In the event that your originally planned trip is cancelled due to circumstances out of your control, you may be able to claim for your costs to be reimbursed. The costs you incur must have arisen from any of the following:

  • If a natural disaster occurs at your intended destination or at your normal home within Australia
  • If you are quarantined unexpectedly
  • If you are subpoenaed to appear in court within Australia
  • If you or a relative dies or becomes seriously ill or is severely injured unexpectedly
  • If your pre-arranged leave from work is cancelled, due to you being employed by the police department, the fire brigade, the ambulance service, the defence forces or other emergency services
  • If your trip is cancelled due to riot, war or rebellion at your destination or at your usual home within Australia
  • If your trip cannot proceed due to inclement weather conditions

You may be covered for an unlimited amount under this policy for an unlimited amount. It's up to you to take all reasonable steps to minimise any losses you may incur, including cancelling any other travel plans and accommodation. If you have already prepaid for certain costs such as accommodation that aren't refundable, these may be claimed for under this policy. However, any fees incurred by your travel agent, such as their cancellation fees, may be limited to a maximum of $500. If the cause of the cancellation is due to a service provider suffering from financial collapse, your policy may cover you for up to $3,750 per person for these costs. If you attempt to cancel your pre-planned and paid for trip because you failed to obtain a passport or Visa in time for your trip to commence, you won't be covered. Of course, if you decide to resume your trip at a later point, your insurer may decide to pay you any reasonable costs you incur in resuming that trip. In the event that the carrier cancels your trip and you incur additional costs for travel or accommodation as part of your trip, these may be reimbursed.

Rental vehicle excess

In the event that you are involved in an accident while driving a rental vehicle overseas, the excess costs you incur may be covered for up to a maximum of $3,000. It's important that the rental vehicle is rented from a licensed operator and that you have obtained comprehensive insurance as part of your rental agreement. For your interest, we have provided a list of credit cards with car rental features.

Travel delay

If your travel is delayed due to circumstances outside of your control for more than 6 hours, you may be able to claim for the reasonable cost of meals and accommodation. The amount you can claim is limited to a maximum of $350 per person or up to $900 if you're travelling with a spouse or any dependent children. You will need to provide verification of the delay in writing from the carrier to make a claim under this policy.

Funeral expenses

In the event that you die while you're travelling overseas, your policy may cover the cost of your funeral or cremation overseas, or the cost to return your remains back to your hometown in Australia. You may be able to claim up to a maximum of $15,000 per person for your funeral expenses. The policy may also cover up to $30,000 if you're travelling with your spouse or dependent children. You won't be covered if you die as a result of a pre-existing medical condition that has not been previously approved by the insurer.

Accidental death

If you die as a result of an accident that you sustained on your overseas trip, you may be covered. In order to make a claim, your death must occur within a 12 month period of the date the accident occurred. In the event that your death occurs as a result of an accident while travelling aboard a plane or boat and your body can't be found, then you will be considered dead after a 12 month period from the date of the accident. You may be able to claim for up to $30,000 per person, $30,000 for your spouse and an additional $5,000 per dependent child in the event of accidental death under this policy. The total claim is limited to a maximum of $65,000. This particular policy does not cover you if your death is as a result of illness or disease. Rather, your demise must have been deemed to be from injuries you sustained in an accident.

There are times when simple neglect may inadvertently cause injury to another person or damage to another person's property. You may be covered under this policy for any legal liability that may arise as a result of your negligence during your trip overseas. The insurer reserves the right to settle or defend the claim or make an offer of payment. They will also pay legal costs and fees incurred, but only if they incur them on your behalf or if you incur costs after the insurer has agreed to this action in writing. You may be covered for up to a maximum of $2,500,000 under this policy. Remember that you won't be covered for causing injury to someone who is related to you, or someone you are travelling with, or an employee working for you. You also won't be covered if you own and are driving or operating a motorised vehicle, a motorised watercraft, or an aircraft. Your policy only covers you if you incur legal liability expenses while travelling as a passenger aboard these vehicles and if you don't own or control that particular transport. If you incur legal liabilities as a result of your profession or usual occupation, or from your business, these aren't covered under this policy.

Loss or damage to personal items

In the event that your personal items are lost or damaged during your overseas trip, you may be able to make a claim for them under this policy. If your personal property is stolen, damaged or lost during your trip, you need to report the loss or damage to the local police. If your personal baggage is lost, delayed or misplaced for longer than 12 hours you may be able to claim for emergency replacement of personal clothing and toiletries. You may be covered for up to a maximum of $25,000 per person under this policy. Individual items may also have separate limitations placed on them. These include:

  • Maximum $6,000 per item for personal valuables and clothing
  • Maximum $6,000 per item for electrical equipment, including binoculars
  • Maximum $6,000 per item for cameras and associated equipment
  • Maximum $6,000 per item for personal tablet PCs, laptop computers and associated equipment
  • Maximum $600 per person for travel documents
  • Maximum $600 per person for emergency replacement of personal clothing and toiletries

In the event that your personal items were lost or stolen while left unattended in a motor vehicle, the maximum amount you're able to claim is limited to $150 per item, up to a limit of $1,000 per event for this particular type of claim. It's important to remember that you are responsible for taking reasonable precautions to ensure your personal property is as safe as possible. This includes not leaving your items unattended in public places or in unlocked motor vehicles. You also may not be covered if you accidentally leave your own personal belongings behind or forget them while you're packing. If you leave your items with a person who then proceeds to steal or damage your items, this policy will not cover your losses. There may be occasions when you choose to post or otherwise transport items you purchase overseas back to your home address. As these items aren't part of your accompanying luggage, they won't be covered. You can make a claim for loss or damage to any personal jewellery or watches, as well as personal cameras, mobile phones, tablet PCs, laptop computers or other electrical items. However, those items are only covered if they're carried in hand-luggage and in your personal care. Your personal sporting equipment may also be covered if it is lost or damaged in transit. However, you aren't covered if it's damaged while you're using it.

Repairing or replacing your items

If you make a claim under this policy, the insurer has the right to decide between repairing or replacing your personal items. If the items you're claiming for were purchased duty free while you were travelling overseas, the maximum amount that will be repaid to you to replace those items is the same as the amount you paid for them.

Excess payable

An excess amount of $200 applies for any claim made under the International Travel Insurance policy. However, there is an exception for claims made under the Loss or Damage of Personal Items policy. For this particular policy there is no excess payable if your claim includes replacing lost or damaged travel documents, traveller's cheques or credit cards. This also includes claims for replacing lost clothing or toiletries during your trip.

Transit accident insurance

There is a Transit Accident policy attached to your HSBC Premier Credit Card or Debit Card. This offers you a level of coverage against accidental death or injury sustained while you're a passenger aboard a plane, train, bus, or ferry. Your coverage also extends to injuries sustained while you're boarding or alighting from any of those vehicles as part of your trip. This policy may also cover you for injuries sustained while riding as a passenger aboard a licensed taxi or bus on route to an airport or station or dock or depot during your trip. You're also covered for the period of time where you're travelling in such a vehicle on your way to commencing or immediately following your planned trip. In the event that you are involved in an accident while riding as a passenger aboard any of the previously mentioned vehicles and your body can't be found, then an amount may be paid to your estate after a period of 12 months. There are also provisions for payments to be made in the event of you sustaining serious injuries from the accident. This includes loss of life, loss of one or both limbs or loss of eyesight in one or both eyes. The maximum amount that the insurer will pay for a claim from one accident is limited to a maximum of $775,000

Purchase protection insurance

Using your HSBC Premier Credit Card or Debit card to pay for personal items may entitle you to Purchase Protection coverage. This lets you claim for damage, loss or theft of your personal items, no matter where in the world you bought them, as long as they were paid for on your Premier card. You may be covered for up to 90 days from the date you purchased the item and you should be reimbursed for the amount you charged to your Premier card account. There are some restrictions that may apply for certain items.

  • You may claim up to a maximum of $2,500 only if you're claiming for jewellery, watches or fine arts
  • There is a $100,000 limit set as the maximum amount that can be claimed in any 12 month period

There is a $100 excess payable for claims made under this policy.

Extended warranty insurance

When you purchase items using your HSBC Premier Credit Card or Debit Card, you may be eligible for Extended Warranty benefit. This policy allows you to extend the normal Australian warranty offered on any personal items you purchase for up to an additional 12 months. The actual length of warranty extension will depend heavily on the length of warranty offered on the item. For example, if the item purchased comes with a 6 month Australian warranty, your Extended Warranty cover will extend for an additional 6 months. If the item has a 12 month warranty, your Extended Warranty cover will extend for an additional 12 months. However, if item has a warranty that extends for up to 5 years the maximum amount of Extended Warranty available is limited to an additional 12 months only. There is no coverage available for items with an Australian warranty of more than 5 years. There is a $200 excess payable for claims made under this policy and there is a limit on how much you can claim of $10,000 in any 12 month period.

Guaranteed pricing scheme

As a HSBC Premier Credit Card or Debit Card account owner, you won't have to worry about paying too much for an item ever again. The Guaranteed Pricing Scheme allows you to claim the difference in price between what you paid for an item and the cost of a cheaper item advertised elsewhere. As long as you see the exact same item advertised at a lower price within a 25 kms distance from the store you purchased the original item, you may be covered. The price difference needs to be greater than $75. You must make your claim within 21 days of when you purchased the original item. You also must ensure that the item is precisely the same, with the same model number and year from the same manufacturer in order to be successful with your claim.

What is not covered in your policies?

There are always going to be specific situations where your insurance policies won't cover you for certain acts or events. It's important to understand what events may not be covered before you make a claim.

Business items

The policies included in the HSBC Premier Credit Card or Debit Card accounts only extend to your personal items. These policies are not intended to provide coverage for any items that are owned by your business. Likewise, your policy won't cover any items you buy while overseas that you intend to resell or on-sell for your business or that you take with you in order to sell them while overseas. If you are travelling with business items in tow, ensure that you obtain adequate business insurance for those specific items and events separately.

Pre-existing medical conditions

Any event that occurs because of or due to a pre-existing medical condition may not be covered, unless you have received prior approval for that condition. You will not be insured if you book your travel after being advised by a medical professional not to travel. You also won't be covered if the sole purpose of your travel plans is to receive medical advice or treatment overseas. Your policies also won't cover you if you have been informed by a medical professional that you are terminally ill. If you have a pre-existing medical condition that does not fall under these categories, you may need to apply to Zurich to have your condition included in your coverage. Pregnant women may not make a claim for costs of any regular medical consultations or examinations, nor may you claim for the actual childbirth. However, if there are unforeseen medical issues surrounding the pregnancy, including actual childbirth, these may be covered. It's important to remember that the child's health and costs incurred by the child for healthcare overseas will not be covered under this policy.

Your personal actions and responsibilities

There are occasions and events where these policies will not cover you due to situations arising from your own actions or responsibilities. These include:

  • If you are under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of the event
  • You consciously being in a dangerous situation or location, unless you are consciously trying to preserve your own life
  • Loss, damage or injury that occurs due to intentional actions by you, including suicide
  • Being involved in any illegal activities, fraudulent activities or abusive behaviour
  • Being involved in underwater activities that require artificial breathing equipment
  • You riding a motorcycle that has an engine capacity bigger than 200cc and you're not the driver
  • You being injured during mountain climbing or rock climbing, white water rafting, abseiling, tobogganing, bungy jumping, hang gliding, skydiving, base jumping or other intentionally dangerous sporting activities
  • You participating in professional sport
  • Any act of terrorism
  • Acts of war or hostility or rebellion
  • You not abiding by the recommended security actions surrounding currency, cheques, credit cards or traveller's cheques

Images: Shutterstock

Back to top
Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.

16 Responses

  1. Default Gravatar
    JeniJune 17, 2015

    I purchased my flight ticket using my HSBC Brunei Premier MasterCard and whilst on my trip I lost a pearl and diamond earring. I rang the hotel, restaurant and taxi company, however they were unable to find it. I didn’t report it to the police station. Do I need to go and get a report from the police station to enable me to claim for the replacement?

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JonathanJune 18, 2015Staff

      Hi Jeni, thanks for your inquiry!

      Generally with claiming stolen personal items supporting documentation such as a police report is required. It would be best to contact Zurich insurance as soon as possible who is the underwriter of this credit card insurance policy for any claims.



  2. Default Gravatar
    AndreApril 8, 2015

    My wife had her luggage lost by Emirates on a flight from Australia to Brazil I bought her with my HSBC Premier Mastercard. I suspect the card automatically covers travel insurance, including lost luggage. Can you please check, and if it does, walk me through on what I need to do? Thanks.

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JonathanApril 9, 2015Staff

      Hi Andre, thanks for your inquiry!

      For more information on the inclusions and details on ‘Loss or damage to personal items’ please see this page. It would be most ideal to contact Zurich Insurance who is the insurance provider for HSBC as soon as possible in regards to this claim. Please refer to the contact details I have sent to your email or go to the Zurich Insurance website.



  3. Default Gravatar
    PaulDecember 28, 2014

    I am a premier account debit card holder in both Australia and Uk.
    We are planning a trip to China and a cruise to Japan in Sept 2015.I am using my card as payment for Air-Cruise and China land tour.Will we both qualify for all the travel benefits or does my wife require her own Hsbc Card

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      ElizabethDecember 29, 2014Staff

      Hi Paul,

      Thanks for your question.

      To be eligible for the insurance you’ll need to pay for 90% of your overseas travel ticket using your account. If you plan on your wife being covered with this insurance policy, you will also need to pay for 90% of her prepaid travel costs using your account as well.

      I hope this has helped.



  4. Default Gravatar
    AmabelJuly 27, 2014

    We are currently in Europe, and our bags were delayed on route from Porto to Granada. One bag was returned the next day however I still had to purchase basic things and some clothes for the next day, plus was forced to take a taxi to the hotel as while filing the delayed baggage forms, we missed the bus scheduled for our flight ( buses only run for specific flights in Granada and the next bus was in 3 hr). My boyfriends bag did not arrive, and we are now in Barcelona and due to leave Europe in two days. We contacted the airline 3 times by email (we cannot connect by phone) but have not heard from them, and still do not have the bag. We bought both our original Europe flights, as well as the Porto to Granada tickets using our HSBC cards.
    What would be the best thing to do? Can we initiate a claim for the delay?

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      ShirleyJuly 28, 2014Staff

      Hi Amabel,

      Thanks for your question.

      You may want to submit a claim to Zurich to see if you can be compensated for part of the costs.

      You’ll need to be able to show evidence that you’re eligible for the cover when you file the claim.


  5. Default Gravatar
    AnneApril 21, 2014

    I paid for my sons travel to Morocco recently on my hsbc premier mastercard. Unfortunately he was mugged and had his bag stolen whilst travelling. He has a complete police report. Amongst his belongings he had his passport stolen and his laptop. Please can you let me know if and how we can make a claim under our card insurance.
    Thanks for your help.

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      ShirleyApril 22, 2014Staff

      Hi Anne,

      Thanks for your question.

      The terms and conditions state that, “This cover provides four (4) months of free overseas travel insurance as outlined in this policy when prior to leaving Australia, at least 90% of the cost of the cardholder’s overseas return travel ticket (i.e. ticket from and returning to Australia) has been charged to the cardholder’s HSBC Premier card account, or If the cardholder has paid for their overseas return travel ticket as outlined above, this cover extends to the cardholder’s spouse and their dependent children provided they have also had their overseas return travel tickets paid for in the above manner, and the spouse and/or dependent children are travelling with the cardholder for the entire journey. Only one person is eligible to claim the benefits payable to a cardholder policy during the period of insurance and other persons covered under this policy would only be eligible to claim as a spouse or dependent child.”

      If you meet these conditions, you may be able to make a claim through Zurich. I’ve emailed you their contact details.


    • Default Gravatar
      AnneApril 22, 2014

      Thanks for your response. Please can you send through the contact details for Zurich as I didn’t receive.
      Regards, Anne

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      ShirleyApril 24, 2014Staff

      Hi Anne,

      Unfortunately I tried but your email doesn’t seem to be working, could you please shoot through an alternative email?


    • Default Gravatar
      annieApril 24, 2014
    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      ShirleyApril 24, 2014Staff

      Hi Annie,

      I have tried to email you but it comes up with the following message,”Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently”.

      Is there another email address you could provide me?


    • Default Gravatar
      AnneApril 24, 2014

      How bizarre. Can you try please. Thanks Shirley

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      ShirleyApril 30, 2014Staff

      Hi Anne,

      I’ve just sent another email through. Please let me know if you’ve received this.


Ask a question
Go to site