Collect a bonus 60,000 Qantas Points when you apply for the HSBC Platinum Qantas Credit Card before 30 June 2018 and meet the minimum spend requirement.
The HSBC Platinum Qantas Credit Card earns 1 Qantas Point per $1 spent on eligible purchases made in Australia and overseas, up to $2,500 per statement period. After that, you'll earn 0.5 points per $1 up to 7,500 points per statement period. It also offers platinum benefits including complimentary travel insurance, extended warranty cover and purchase protection insurance.
|Product Name||HSBC Platinum Qantas Credit Card|
|Rewards Program||Qantas Frequent Flyer|
|Balance transfer rate (p.a.)||0% p.a. for 12 months|
|Balance Transfer Revert Rate|
The interest rate after the balance transfer ends.
|Cash Advance Rate (21.99% p.a.)|
|Balance Transfer Limit||100% of available credit limit|
|Purchase rate (p.a.)||19.99% p.a.|
|Offer end date||30 June 2018|
|Annual fee||$199 p.a.|
|Interest Free Period|
The interest-free period on purchases is the period or number of days you do not have to pay interest on your card purchases. You will be charged interest either from the day you make a purchase or from the statement date, unless you pay the closing balance in full by the due date (or within the interest-free period) on your statement.
|Up to 55 days on purchases|
|Cash advance rate (p.a.)||21.99% p.a.|
|Min credit limit|
This is the lowest credit card limit that you can request. It is possible to apply for a higher credit card limit but not a lower one than this figure.
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (VISA)|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You’ll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|3% of transaction value|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance||Yes|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Available To Temporary Residents||Yes - Conditions apply|
|Credit Rating Requirement||Good|
|Annual fee||$199 p.a.|
|Minimum Monthly Repayment||3% or $20 whichever is higher|
|Late Payment Fee||$30|
|Cash Advance Fee||The higher of $4 or 3.0% of the total transaction amount|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You'll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|Gambling Transactions Allowed||Yes|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
- Receive 60,000 bonus points on eligible spend within 3 months of account approval.
- Take advantage of 0% p.a. for 12 months on balance transfers.
- Complimentary membership to the Qantas Frequent Flyer program saving you $89.50.
- This card offers a range of benefits including complimentary insurance covers for your peace of mind while abroad.
- Save money at participating merchants across Australia and New Zealand with the home&Away Privilege Program and HSBC Instant Savings.
- 20% boost to your point earn rate on everyday spend until 30 June 2018 when you register for HSBC Points Boost.
- The standard purchase rate of 19.99% p.a. is relatively high.
|Rewards Program||Qantas Frequent Flyer|
|Bonus Points||60,000 bonus points|
|Rewards Points per $ spent (VISA/MC)||1|
|Rewards Points per $ (VISA/MC) Cap||7,500|
Review of the HSBC Platinum Qantas Credit Card
This frequent flyer credit card from HSBC offers two of the most popular perks available: Qantas Points and travel insurance. It also gives you access to exclusive travel, shopping and lifestyle offers available to Visa Platinum cardholders.
In terms of costs, the HSBC Platinum Qantas has an annual fee of $199 and an ongoing purchase rate of 19.99% p.a. (variable). It also offers up to 55 days interest-free if you pay your balance in full by the due date on each statement.
Benefits of the HSBC Platinum Qantas Credit Card
- 60,000 Qantas Points sign up bonus. Apply for the HSBC Platinum Qantas Credit Card before 30 June 2018 and spend at least $3,000 on eligible purchases within 3 months of opening your account to enjoy a bonus 60,000 Qantas Points.
- Complimentary Qantas Frequent Flyer Membership. You need to be a Qantas Frequent Flyer member to earn Qantas Points with this card. So, if you’re not a member yet, HSBC offers Platinum Qantas Credit Card customers the opportunity to sign up via the Qantas website and enjoy complimentary Frequent Flyer membership (valued at $89.50).
- Qantas Points earn rate. Earn 1 Qantas Point per $1 spent on eligible purchases in Australia and overseas, up to $2,500 per statement period, with any remaining spending for that statement period earning 0.5 points per $1 spent. This is capped at 7,500 points per statement period.
- Complimentary international travel insurance. When you're eligible, this card offers unlimited cover for hospital and medical expenses if you’re sick or injured, and up to $20,000 cover for personal belongings. Transit accident insurance is also an included benefit with this account. It provides financial compensation if you or your family suffer injury or death while travelling overseas as a passenger in a vehicle. The complimentary international travel insurance is automatically activated when you meet the policy eligibility requirements and purchase your return overseas travel ticket on your card.
- Instant Savings. Get a free membership to the Frequent Values program and access over 4,500 offers at participating partners across Australia and New Zealand every time you use the HSBC Platinum Qantas credit card.
- Points Boost. When you register for Points Boost via SMS, you get 20% bonus points on your regular rewards points earning on everyday spend until 30 June 2018. There are also special limited-time offers available through HSBC to boost your points balance even faster. Usually, on a $10 domestic purchase you would earn 10 HSBC Rewards Points, with Points Boost, you would earn 12. Bonus points are capped at 10,000 for the entire promotional period and do not apply to any introductory points offers.
- Extended warranty insurance. Purchase a ‘covered product’ with the HSBC Platinum Qantas Credit Card and the Australian manufacturer's warranty is automatically doubled (up to 12 months).
- Purchase protection insurance. Purchase a ‘covered product’ and this policy covers the item against loss, damage and theft.
- Guaranteed pricing. This benefit will refund the difference in price if you purchase an item with the card and you see it in a different store for less.
- Visa benefits. This Visa Platinum card gives you access to exclusive travel, shopping and lifestyle offers available on the Visa Premium website.
Features of the HSBC Platinum Qantas Credit Card
- Annual fee.This card has a $199 annual fee.
- Interest-free days. Up to 55 interest-free days on purchases if you pay your account in full each month.
- Additional cardholder. Earn Qantas Points faster and manage any family or business costs under one account by adding an additional cardholder to your account for $0.
- Fraud protection. You’re not liable to pay for any fraudulent transactions detected on the account.
- Access to Visa payWave. You have access to Visa payWave which allows you to simply tap your card against a contactless reader and pay for your purchases under $100.
- Apple Pay. Link this card with Apple Pay and you can use your iPhone, Apple Watch and iPad to make secure payments in store, in apps and on the web. Learn more about how it works.
How to apply for the HSBC Platinum Qantas Credit Card
You can apply for the HSBC Platinum Qantas Credit Card online in about 10 minutes and could get a response from HSBC within 60 seconds of submitting your application. Before you get started, make sure you meet the eligibility requirements and have all the required documents details on hand.
- How old are you? You must be at least 18 years of age to apply for the HSBC Platinum Qantas Credit card.
- What is your residency status? You can apply for this card as an Australian citizen or permanent resident of Australia. If you're an Australian temporary resident, you may be required to meet additional requirements.
- How much do you earn? You need a minimum gross income of $40,000 p.a. to apply for this card.
To ensure that your application for the card runs smoothly, have the following information ready:
- Personal information. This includes your full name, date of birth, residential address, email address, contact number and identification such as your driver's licence number.
- Employment details. You'll need to provide details of your current role and salary, as well as your employer's contact details. You may also need to provide several recent pay slips to verify your income.
- Other financial details. This includes details of any assets such as property, shares or savings, as well as existing debts. You'll also need to estimate your regular household spending on essentials such as food shopping and gas, electricity, phone and Internet bills.