Earn 60,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply for the HSBC Platinum Qantas Credit Card before 30 June 2017 and meet the minimum spend requirement.
The HSBC Platinum Qantas Credit Card is an option if you want platinum credit card features without all of the costs. You'll earn 1 Qantas Point per $1 spent up to $2,500 per statement period on eligible purchases in Australia and overseas. Also receive peace of mind courtesy of complimentary insurance covers.
|Product Name||HSBC Platinum Qantas Credit Card|
|Rewards Program||Qantas Frequent Flyer|
|Purchase rate (p.a.)||19.99% p.a.|
|Offer end date||30 June 2017|
|Annual fee||$199 p.a.|
|Interest Free Period|
The interest-free period on purchases is the period or number of days you do not have to pay interest on your card purchases. You will be charged interest either from the day you make a purchase or from the statement date, unless you pay the closing balance in full by the due date (or within the interest-free period) on your statement.
|Up to 55 days on purchases|
|Cash advance rate (p.a.)||21.99% p.a.|
|Min credit limit|
This is the lowest credit card limit that you can request. It is possible to apply for a higher credit card limit but not a lower one than this figure.
|Minimum Monthly Repayment||3% or $20 whichever is higher|
|Late Payment Fee||$30|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (VISA)|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You’ll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|3% of transaction value|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance||Yes|
|Available To Temporary Residents||No|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Available to Temporary Residents||No|
|Credit Rating Requirement|
Credit rating requirement is provided only as a guide. Understanding your credit file helps you make more informed decisions in regards to your finances. Learn more about what this means here.
|Min Credit Limit||$6,000|
|Annual Fee||$199 p.a.|
|Minimum Repayment||3% or $20 whichever is higher|
|Late Payment Fee||$30|
|Over Limit Fee||$30|
|Cash Advance Fee||The higher of $4 or 3.0% of the total transaction amount|
|Overseas Cash Advance Fee||The higher of $4 or 3.0% of the total transaction amount|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (VISA)||3% of transaction value|
|Gambling Transactions Allowed||Yes|
|Gambling Transactions Interest Rate||Cash Advance Rate|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0 p.a.|
|Internet Banking Transfers||Yes|
- Receive 60,000 bonus points on eligible spend within 3 months of receiving your card.
- Complimentary membership to the Qantas Frequent Flyer program saving you $89.50.
- This card offers a range of benefits including complimentary insurance covers for your peace of mind while abroad.
- The 19.99% p.a. interest rate charged on purchases is expensive compared to other cards on the market.
|Rewards Program||Qantas Frequent Flyer|
|Bonus Points on Sign-up||60,000|
|Rewards Points per $ (VISA/MC)||1|
|Rewards Points per $ (AMEX)||0|
|Rewards Points per $ (VISA/MC) Cap||2,500|
|Rewards Points per $ (AMEX) Cap||N/A|
HSBC Platinum Qantas Credit Card review
If you’re in the market for a platinum credit card that earns Qantas Points, it’s almost impossible to avoid paying an annual fee. The HSBC Platinum Qantas Credit Card has an annual fee of $199. This card is a direct earn Qantas Frequent Flyer card and you can look forward to 60,000 bonus Qantas Points when you meet the spend requirement. You'll also earn 1 Qantas Point per $1 spent on all eligible purchases.The offer of 60,000 bonus points is only available to new HSBC Credit Card account holders who apply by 30 June 2017, are approved and spend $3,000 on eligible purchases within 3 months of receiving their card.
Benefits of the HSBC Platinum Qantas Credit Card
- 60,000 Qantas Points sign up bonus. Apply for the HSBC Platinum Qantas Credit Card before 30 June 2017 to get 60,000 bonus Qantas Points. To receive the bonus points, you need to spend a minimum of $3,000 on eligible purchases within three months of opening the account.
- Complimentary Qantas Frequent Flyer Membership. This product is linked directly to the Qantas frequent flyer program. Any eligible spend on the card earns Qantas Points for your membership account. If you’re not a Qantas Frequent Flyer member yet, HSBC Platinum Qantas Credit Card customers can complete an online Frequent Flyer application form via the Qantas website to receive your complimentary Frequent Flyer membership (valued at $89.50).
- Qantas Points earn rate. Earn 1 Qantas Point per $1 spent on eligible purchases in Australia and overseas. This includes purchases made on an overseas website if you’re shopping online with this card. Purchases made in a foreign currency will attract a currency conversion fee of 3%. There is a points earning cap of $2,500 per statement period and 0.5 points will be earned per $1 spent thereafter.
- Complimentary international travel insurance. There are a number of covered events and exclusions. This account offers unlimited cover for hospital and medical expenses if you’re sick or injured, and up to $20,000 cover for personal belongings. Check the policy document for further information about this cover. Transit accident insurance is also an included benefit with this account. It provides financial compensation if you or your family suffer injury or death while travelling overseas as a passenger in a vehicle.
Activating the travel insurance
Features of the HSBC Platinum Qantas Credit Card
- Annual fee. This card charges $199 annual fee.
- Earn Qantas Points. Earn 1 Qantas Point per $1 spent on eligible purchases in Australia and overseas.
- Extended warranty insurance. Purchase a ‘covered product’ with the HSBC Platinum Qantas Credit Card and the Australian manufacturer's warranty is automatically doubled (up to 12 months).
- Purchase protection insurance. Purchase a ‘covered product’ and this policy covers the item against loss, damage and theft.
- Guaranteed pricing. This benefit will refund the difference in price if you purchase an item with the card and you see it in a different store for less.
- Interest-free days. Up to 55 interest-free days on purchases if you pay your account in full each month.
- Additional cardholder. Earn Qantas Points faster and manage any family or business costs under one account by adding an additional cardholder to your account for $0.
- Fraud protection. You’re not liable to pay for any fraudulent transactions detected on the account.
- Access to Visa payWave. You have access to Visa payWave which allows you to simply tap your card against a contactless reader and pay for your purchases under $100.
- Visa Card scheme benefits. Visa cardholders get access to Visa Privileges like discounts at international hotels.
How to apply for the HSBC Platinum Qantas Credit Card
Complete the online application in about ten minutes. Once you submit the application, HSBC will be in contact within a matter of minutes to confirm the status of your application.
Before you apply, make sure you meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Minimum income requirement of $40,000 p.a.
- Be over 18 years of age
- Have a good credit rating
- Be an Australian resident
To ensure that your application for the card runs smoothly, have the following information ready:
- Personal details, like drivers licence number
- Information about your income and details about your employment situation
- Details about your assets and liabilities
Frequently asked questions
What transactions are considered eligible purchases?
To get your bonus Qantas points, you need to make an eligible purchase on the card in the first three months. An eligible purchase is an everyday purchase and excludes transactions like interest-free promotions, balance transfers, cash advance charges, BPAY and government charges and business expenses.