Your day-to-day banking needs can be made easier when you open a transaction account with HSBC. The Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation (HSBC) offers Australians a transaction account with $0 monthly fees and unlimited access to over 3,000 ATMs across the country. It comes with a linked Visa debit card to take care of all of your daily purchases.
$0 monthly fee and get access to the HSBC Australia, Westpac Bank, St.George, Bank of Melbourne and BankSA ATM network.
What are the features of the HSBC Day to Day Transaction Account?
There are multiple features of the Day to Day Transaction Account worth noting when comparing it to other everyday accounts from Australian banks:
$0 Monthly account keeping fee
You pay no monthly fees for using the HSBC transaction account.
Linked Visa debit card
You will be issued a Visa debit card that is linked to your transaction account. This card can be used to make purchases in stores, online and over the phone, wherever Visa is regularly accepted.
You can use payWave for convenient contactless purchases under $100 as well as take advantage of Visa Zero liability for protection against unauthorised purchases.
$0 Transaction fees
When you make transactions with any of the following methods, there will be no charge to your account: deposits, internet banking, EFTPOS, Bank@Post, BPAY and automated telephone banking. You can also make withdrawals or enquire about your account at ATMs at HSBC Australia, Westpac Bank, St.George Bank, BankSA and Bank of Melbourne without being charged a fee.
You can also set up recurring payments on your Visa debit card to pay bills easily.
Exclusive shopping offers
You'll get exclusive shopping offers at over 1,500 chosen retailers plus special privileges at over 27,000 outlets worldwide with HSBC's home&Away Privilege program.
Staff assisted withdrawals and transfers
If you visit a branch to conduct a transaction your account will be charged $5. Phone transactions that require the assistance of a staff member incur a charge of $2.50.
International money transfers or sending money overseas to loved ones
Transferring money overseas is a service that is offered online and costs $20 to use regardless of the amount of money being transferred.
Using your HSBC card overseas
If you withdraw cash from an overseas ATM you will be charged $4.50 per transaction plus a currency conversion state below. Additional charges may also apply stemming from the issuing financial institution.
Currency conversion fee
For transactions or withdrawals where currency must be converted, like when you shop online on a website that uses a currency other than AUD, you will be charged 3.00% of the Australian dollar amount for the service.
Link to a HSBC Savings account and earn a competitive interest rate
The Day to Day account is a suitable bank account to link with your HSBC Australia savings account. Compare other products from HSBC here.
- $0 account keeping fee
- No minimum deposit required
- Access to over 3,000 ATMs across the HSBC and Westpac ATM network
- Linked HSBC Visa debit card
- Exclusive to home&away Privilege Program
- Lack of HSBC Australia branches in Australia
- Fees apply for overseas transactions
How do I apply for the HSBC Day to Day Transaction Account?
If you have decided that the HSBC Day to Day Transaction Account is the right one to take care of your banking needs, here's what you need to get started with an online application.
Eligibility to apply online
- Your age. Applications from individuals aged 18 years or older are the only ones that will considered by HSBC.
- Your residency. You must be an Australian resident or citizen with a valid residential address to apply.
- Account use. This account is for personal use only. If you are a business, company or trust, you can contact HSBC for information on transaction accounts available for commercial and business purposes.
So long as you meet these terms, you can proceed to the online application form. Have the following documentation available to help complete filling out the form quickly and accurately:
Documentation you'll need for your online application
- Identity documents. HSBC is required by law to verify the identity of applicants before an account can be opened in their name. To accomplish this, you will be asked to provide information from your Australian driver’s licence or passport. If not available, you may be asked to visit a local branch in order to complete the identity verification.
- Personal details. You are going to need to fill in your full name, date of birth, residential address and e-mail address as part of the application.
- Account information. If you are an existing HSBC customer you will need to provide the details of the accounts you already hold with them.
What happens after I submit my online application?
Completing the online application should take approximately five to ten minutes. Once complete, hit submit and expect to be contacted within two business days with the details of your new everyday account. At that point your Visa debit card will be issued to you so that you can begin taking advantage of all the features of this transaction account.
What if I'm not eligible to apply online or a non-resident?
If you're moving to Australia, please get in touch with HSBC Australia migrant services to set up your account today, so you can open them before you arrive. If none of the above situations apply to you, please contact HSBC Australia directly to discuss your options.