Throwing an End of Financial Year (EOFY) party? Here’s how to do it. In style.
It’s almost June. It’s that time of year when companies look to reward their hard-working staff with an End of Financial Year (EOFY) party. However, if you haven’t planned one before, it can be tricky to know where to begin.
On the surface, planning an EOFY party seems like it should be easy. Something like:
How to plan an EOFY party:
- Determine a budget.
- Book the venue or activity.
- Send out invites to the staff.
- Have fun!
In reality, of course, there are a few more things to consider.
Where are you going to have it? Will you be just doing drinks, or food, or both, or neither? Will you skip the party and organise something else entirely?
Yeah. It gets a little tricky. That's where we come in.
Function spaces for hire in Sydney
Museum of Contemporary Art (MCA), The Rocks
- Function size: 100–750 pax
- Phone: (02) 9245 2400
- Website: MCA
If rooftops and harbour views are your thing, you can’t go past the rooftop at the MCA. It’s in the heart of historic Rocks area and three out of the four function spaces include rooftops. This one is definitely better suited to large companies, as smaller ones may feel a little lost in the space.
Cafe del Mar, Darling Harbour
- Function size: 5–500 pax
- Phone: (02) 9267 6700
- Website: Cafe del Mar
Cafe del Mar is ideal for a swanky sort of EOFY party, as it not only has one of the best balconies in Sydney, but you can hire part (or all of it) out for sunset watching and drink sipping. There’s easy flexibility between canapes and a sit-down dinner here, but you’d be silly not to order the oysters – this space practically demands it.
The Clock Hotel, Surry Hills
- Function size: 10–120 pax
- Phone: (02) 9331 5333
- Website: The Clock Hotel
These guys just launched their new cocktail menu and specialty Whisky bar, so if there was ever a time to hire out a space in this beautiful pub, it’s now. Situated on Surry Hills’ leafy Crown St, The Clock is suitable for small and large groups alike. Their platters include mouth-watering suggestions in the realms of Wagyu cheeseburgers, buttermilk chicken wings and house made prawn crisp rolls, so ordering a few is mandatory.
El Loco at Slipp Inn
- Function size: 200–1200 pax
- Phone: (02) 9240 3000
- Website: El Loco at Slipp Inn
It’s a little bit of Mexico in the heart of the city, so let loose on the margaritas and ceviche. In the winter months, this picturesque outdoor area is equipped with heaters and a retractable awning, so you won’t need to worry about staff catching a cold. You can hire out the entire venue if you need it, or if you don’t, smaller spaces are available. Staff kicking on afterwards? Chinese Laundry is right downstairs.
The Argyle, The Rocks
- Function size: 60–500 pax
- Phone: (02) 9259 5600
- Website: The Argyle
One of Sydney’s oldest venues is also one of Sydney’s best. The Argyle is a historic building that’s got oodles of atmosphere in the cobbled courtyard, dark wood and plush seating. Smaller spaces are available, or hire out the entire venue if it’s suited to your company’s size. This will be one EOFY party your staff won’t forget.
The Standard Bowl, Surry Hills
- Function size: approx. up to 200 pax
- Phone: (02) 9331 3100
- Website: The Standard Bowl
Head up the stairs at Lo-Fi to get to The Standard Bowl: an industrial-style space with a bar, a stage and two bowling alleys off to the side. It’s an adult playground. This space would work best if you booked the whole floor, but if you do want something a little smaller, they can do that, too.
Tips for throwing an EOFY party
- It’s the middle of winter. This should be obvious, but there’s something about Sydney parties that screams sunshine and balconies. Many of the best venues in Sydney are known for their rooftops and balconies, so if you are booking one of these venues, make sure they’ll provide a few heaters – or tell your staff to bring a jumper.
- Choose a venue that’s centrally located. You want to ensure everyone can get there – and home again – easily. Host in either the city, or near your office/s. Bonus points if the party is near public transport.
- Remember to book early. Loads of companies will be throwing EOFY parties at the same time, so get in quick – or miss out!
- It’s not all about the booze. Australia is fairly notorious for turning any occasion into an excuse to knock back a few. While drinks will almost definitely play a part, avoid getting staff so plastered they’re too embarrassed to come into work the following week by putting some thought into other activities. That being said…
- Don’t forget about the food. Do you want to throw a sit-down dinner or supply finger food for mingling? It’s all about your staff size. For smaller groups, a dinner may be more appropriate, as it gives everyone a chance to catch up in a more formal setting. For larger groups, it’s often a better idea to avoid a sit-down dinner, as it gives everyone a chance to mingle with other guests.
- Get the staff involved in planning. This way, you’ll throw a party that’s exactly what they want to do. Encourage people to throw in ideas for an activity, venue, or theme for the night, and ask the office to vote.
- Think about an activity everyone can participate in. It focuses the attention away from alcohol and can be a great bonding tool for people who don’t usually work together. This could include lawn bowls (make sure they provide heaters), ten pin bowling, paintball, karaoke, or something else entirely. Ping pong tournament, anyone?
15 beers to make you forget about FY15–16.
If you’re planning any kind of EOFY party, you’ll likely be ordering a few beers to help you celebrate.
We’ve gone through and picked some of the best beers on the market. And when you order them, use our Dan Murphy’s discount code to make things a little cheaper for yourself. Why not? You’ve earned it.
5 top retailers to help you plan your End of Financial Year party
2. Party Supplies Now
Time to decorate your venue. While many venues offer an event manager to take care of this task for you, you might be more inclined to DIY decorate to your tastes and budget. Party Supplies Now offers decorations, lights, balloons, the works, for any party or celebration.
Organising food for the masses can be a daunting task, but when you have Deliveroo on your side it can be easy-peasy. Again, most function venues will offer catering, but when you're after an office party or something more DIY (picnic perhaps?) there's this saviour on two-wheels.