Save time and organise your tax and super on the go with the ATO app.
Managing your tax is never fun. It can be a time-consuming hassle to organise all your financial information in the one place and maximise your tax return.
To help make it easier to organise your tax and superannuation affairs, the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) offers the ATO app. From organising your deductions to lodging your tax return, the ATO app includes a range of useful features to make managing your tax simpler and more convenient.
Let’s take a closer look at what the app offers and how you can use it to your advantage.
Who is the ATO app for?
The ATO app offers a number of tools and features to help Australians manage their tax and superannuation on the go. It is designed for use by:
- Individual taxpayers
- Small business owners
- Self-managed super fund (SMSF) trustees
Which devices is the ATO app compatible with?
The official ATO app is available for iOS, Android and Windows Phone.
- iOS: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Is compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.
- Android: Requires Android 4.1 and up
- Windows: Supported operating systems are Windows 10 Mobile, Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.
How to download and use the app
You’ll need to follow a few simple steps to use the ATO app on your smartphone:
- Download the app from the Apple App Store, Google Play or Microsoft Store.
- Launch the app on your smartphone.
- Tap "OK" or "Allow" if the app prompts you with a request to send notifications or use location services.
- Log in with your myGov account if you want to use ATO online services. Alternatively, use one of the tools or calculators that does not require you to log in to myGov.
What are the features of the ATO app?
The ATO app is designed to make it as quick, easy and convenient as possible for you to stay on top of your tax and superannuation fees. To do this, it offers a range of tax management tools all in the one place, allowing you to manage your finances anywhere and anytime. You can use the ATO app to:
- Lodge a return. You can use the app to login to your myGov account and lodge your tax return for the previous financial year via the myTax system. You can also track the progress of a return that has already been lodged.
- Record your deductions. The app features the myDeductions tool, which allows you to record car trips, work-related expenses, gifts, donations and other deductible expenses. This information can then be used to pre-fill your upcoming tax return. More information on the myDeductions tool is available below.
- Take photos. Capture photos of receipts to act as supporting documentation of your work expenses.
- Enrol your voiceprint. Once you have enrolled your voiceprint with the ATO, you can enjoy fast and secure access to ATO online services. Your voice can also be used to verify your identity whenever you use the app or phone the ATO.
- Calculate withholding tax. If you’re a small business owner, you can use the app to work out how much tax you need to withhold from salary and wage payments.
- Check an Australian Business Number (ABN). This can be done using the ABN Lookup tool.
- Plan ahead. You can use the app to make a note of key dates and deadlines for tax and superannuation tasks. You will also be able to set reminders on some devices.
- Compare business performance. The app features a Business Performance Check tool which allows you to compare your business with other similar small businesses in the same industry and assess the business’s financial position.
- Manage a SMSF. The ATO app allows SMSF trustees to access a wide range of useful information through videos, checklists and SMSF Assist.
- Calculate other tax and super matters. The app also features a wide range of other useful tools and calculators, including calculators for tax rates, fuel tax credits and more.
The myDeductions tool
The ATO app also features the myDeductions tool, which is designed to make it more convenient for you to collate your tax-deductible expenses on the go throughout the year, and keep them all together in the one place.
The myDeductions tool is for individuals claiming work-related expenses as an employee, so is not for use by sole traders or small business owners. The tool can be used to:
- Record and categorise work-related expenses, gifts and donations.
- Record the cost of managing your tax return, earning interest or earning dividends.
- Taking and storing photographs of receipts.
- Recording your car trips.
Regardless of whether you do your own tax return or prepare it through a tax agent, the myDeductions tool can be used to make tax management easier. The deductions recorded throughout the year can be uploaded to the ATO to automatically pre-fill your income tax return. This means you don’t have to worry about keeping track of all your receipts throughout the year, or about missing out on a deduction because you’ve lost a receipt or it has faded over time.
What expenses can I claim as a deduction on my tax return?
Tax deduction guides
- A checklist of general work-related deductions you can claim
- Tips on maximising your tax refund
- How to claim internet and phone usage on tax
For more information about the expenses you can claim for your occupation are available from the ATO or your accountant.